• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The crepe sole serves a specific purpose - "all weather" walkability and comfort while walking over long distances. I have owned and sold two pairs - one cigar PTB I sold due to it not fitting (too narrow), and one of the Milkshake Indy boots (didn't wear it much). I now have the Leffot Greenwich wingtip boots, which I think will be a great weekend boot fall through spring. Shoes with a crepe sole by nature are casual are best worn kicking around town, weekend bbqs and tailgates, etc. Crepe soles are used by a lot of brands (Clarks, Church's, Quoddy, etc) in casual shoes, so I don't see why Alden shouldn't use them. They all will look grungy over time, but with crepe, it is what it is. The leather tip wears differently pair to pair, but they have stayed attached well on the two pairs I have owned (I have no idea what purpose it serves, however).

I think a lot of people in this thread get frustrated when they see a color 8 or cigar or CXL model that they want, only to see it in crepe when they really wanted it on a leather or commando sole. That's why some of the reaction to crepe is so negative. You don't see people reacting negatively to crepe soles in other threads (Quoddy, Yuketen, whatever).

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done crepe soled Aldens

Various plain toe boots (Context Roy, Context Rough Roy, J Crew Snuff Suede, etc)
Classic all weather walkers and and similar grain shoes (like the Leffot grain Longwings)
Lined suede chukkas (J Crew sells them in tan and snuff)
Certian chromexcel boots (Leffot Greenwich)
Dark cordovan plain toe shoes (various cigar and color 8 PTBs have been done on crepe)

Shoes where crepe seems off
Cordovan wingtip boots, captoe boots, etc
Cordovan longwings (like the odd ravello longwings Alden of Carmel stocked a few years ago)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Went outside for some fresh air at lunch and I just couldn't resist...

docalden2013

Reaction score
Be, I though about using my incoming #8 Indys from JGilbert for the same purpose. I have 2 shell boots, now and another on order which I did not think I would have when I placed the pre-order for the Indys. I can use the other 3 pairs the same as I was intending to use the Indys. Two captoe are a little dressier and the #8 tanker from Leffot is a bit more casual and I can use it in place of the Indys. I may use the Indys as my daily boots instead of spending another $488 on a pair of CXL Indys. The #8 are on commando and with a little waterproofing should be some awesome daily boots IMHO.

I appreciate this thought and that from others on using shell for more knockabout purposes. If an elegant Alden sage such as BeSpiff is contemplating doing so, it can't be a bad idea.

I never thought I could consider it earlier in the year when I caught the Alden bug and only had a few pairs. However, after getting lucky with some grails and having more diversity in the collection, it's now easier to contemplate things like wearing shell in the rain or kicking a soccer ball impromptu when I'm out with my son and his buddies. This also gives me an excuse to not obsess over the scratches I put into a pair of grant lasted #8 boots when I accidentally bumped up against a wheeled-office chair whose wheel coverings protrude.

Patina trumps prinstine, right?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^The crepe is also very heavy compared to the other soles.

Can you rank them in terms of weight, commando, leather, dainite...?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

This also gives me an excuse to not obsess over the scratches I put into a pair of grant lasted #8 boots when I accidentally bumped up against a wheeled-office chair whose wheel coverings protrude.

Patina trumps prinstine, right?

I just put a nice scrape in my #8 captoe, grants the other night while walking up a set of stairs. I decided not to obsess over it. I went home and everything brushed out except a part that was a little deep. Oh well.

Now, whenever I brush up my boots, I'll remember that night my wife and I went out for dinner and went for a little walk after. You can't beat getting memories like that from a scrape on a boot.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is simply remarkable.  You did superb, superb work.  Your finished product looks outstanding.   And inspiring:  now I will be lobbying for black/burgundy saddles since I cannot even think of making them as you did.  

Congratulations and I hope you really enjoy them.  Thanks for posting.

Awesome looking saddles. Thanks for posting, I love how you brought these back.

Aldenwear / MrDV - thanks to both of you for the kind words and encouragement. I've never done shell or ever attempted two-tone so this project presented some unique challenges. But I am happy with the results and with tomorrow being a denim day at work, I will be taking my latest experiment out for a spin.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you rank them in terms of weight, commando, leather, dainite...?

I don't own any crepe so curious about this as well. My Indys are on the neo-cork soles, and I can vouch that they are my heaviest boot by far. I'd be interested to know if crepe is heavier than the neo-cork because I do want a boot on crepe at some point.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't own any crepe so curious about this as well.  My Indys are on the neo-cork soles, and I can vouch that they are my heaviest boot by far.  I'd be interested to know if crepe is heavier than the neo-cork because I do want a boot on crepe at some point.

Crepe is lighter than the neo-cork sole. I think it is similar in weight to the double leather sole (maybe a tad lighter) on boots.

100 yrs

Reaction score
to folks that have the alden insoles, what number did you call? the general alden one? i called alden sf this morning after no answer from alden hq, and they were completely unaware of the existence of alden branded insoles. also, the insoles look like they have a good heel cup on them, is that so?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i agree, very nice and congrats on the horween stamps. I have the worst luck with those. Was the J.Gilbert made on commando or double leather? It looks sleek enough to be a dl but I know JG has a tendency to make everything with a commando sole

Kwaker

Reaction score
I'll be in Boston next week.
Wondering if it would be worth the while to stop by North River Outfitters ... anyone been there recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics