1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. circleslife

circleslife Senior member

I use Venetian and horsehair brushing. It masks the scuffs very well. I have also had success with Red Wing Shoe cream I got from BB. Yes, CXL LWB with Commando are rare. I see versions without the commando sole often. It has become my go to pair.

http://horween.bigcartel.com/products?page=1

2. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

What belts do you guys wear with your shells? It seems like shell belts are all split or extremely rare.

3. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Predominantly I wear Shell belts. I have a Whiskey, Cigar, and #8 (new model) belts from Alden. I also have a Burgundy Shell Allen Edmonds belt that I wear with my more aged #8 Alden's. I also have a black/tan reversible belt. The tan/brown works well with Ravello and obviously the Black work with Black Shell. Anyone have a black shell belt??

Horween has made some 1-piece and 2-piece belts in the past versus the traditional 3-piece belts. The 1-piece shell belts are extremely rare as the strip between the two shells have to be up to the Shell quality standards.

-Mike

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

God, the antique edge is sexy. I will eventually replace my Color 8 Indys (Trubalance) with black edge dressing and commando soles.

Still curious how a Plaza last NST looks on someone.

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Also check out Horweens site sometimes belts pop up on there.

6. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I got Brooks Brothers #8 shell belt. Really like it and it's aging very well.

7. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

What do you guys think of the Unionmade x Alden Color #8 Captoe boots? They're commando sole on Barrie, which I like. Any experience with Unionmade and their Aldens?

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Was gunna say this, but you beat me too it. Basically, BB Tassels have it, alden standard tassels don't, and special tassel makeups may or may not.

I never noticed the square vs curved, so good observation.

9. smmrfld

smmrfld Well-Known Member

I have Alden shell belts in black, #8, and cigar. The black one, while likely indistinguishable from the usual black leather by most, shows that subtle finish that is unique to shell.

10. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Though I would never call someone out like rydenfan did, he's not wrong that you can get affordable denim to do your expensive Shell footwear justice. Gustin Jeans, for example, are handmade selvedge denim in hundreds of fabrics and selvedge Id's. he could get a slimmer fit that cuffs perfectly and the wash/wear of the denim will be according to his use. Gustin is like $90-$120

I havent seen anyone on here recommending or braggin about $700 acid-washed/distressed denim.

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Good denim is not all that expensive. Purchasing $300 denim is not much different than spending $800 on boots or $700 for shirts. All conspicuous consumption.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I think its an awesome boot, do wish it had the antique edging but for some reason that is not popular.

I have numerous styles from Unionmade. There styles are easy to acquire, decent priced and they have a relatively nice online site so you don't have to call. Call me crazy but making phone calls just inst my thing. This is the modern world and age of the internet.

I have talked to their new store though for 1 sale. Real nice guys working there who are willing to do just about anything to help you answer the questions and make the sale. Although, they are not real familiar with the Alden brand or at least at the new store they weren't. I don't mean that to be negative, I still would give all my experiences with them an A.

13. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

In a way I agree but in many I disagree.

You can wear the same pair of Alden's every day. You cant wear the same jeans everyday.
    (Well I guess you could but I wouldn't recommend it if you like friends.)

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

that comment couldnt be further from the truth when talking about quality denim [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Agree about the antique edging. Pretty sure that's almost a "Leffot" thing now.

I do prefer the pct of the j crew boot but like the commando sole more.

16. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I have plenty of quality pairs of jeans. Honestly it has turned into the majority of them folded in the closest unworn or alot sold on eBay.

I guess if you wear the same jeans everyday..... that we will have to agree to disagree on whether that is acceptable.

Once again thou all style is subjective. Certain groups of people think green mohawks are stylish. Not my thing, but I am not going to tell them its unacceptable or not stylish because to their group of friends it is.

17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Keep an eye on Haberdash 4060 restocks as well (and like J Crew, occasional codes that apply to Alden). $500 for shell firsts feels more and more like a steal as many models creep over $700.

18. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Thanks for the PSA thams, never saw them on Citishoes' site. Just ordered a pair.

D

19. thams

thams Senior member

Duplicate

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  20. thams

thams Senior member

Glad I could enable someone! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.