• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet brown CXL PTB
eby9ygev.jpg

I wanted a nice, daily shoe....but more importantly I needed something to hold me over while I'm waiting for some Pre-orders to be filled!!

My friend, excellent acquisition! I've seen these in several stores this summer, each one claiming that they were made "exclusively" for them. Wear in great health, your sweet PTBs.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I visited Leffot last week and saw a brown chrxl LWB. I like the PTB very much, but would much prefer the Leffot's brown cxl LWB. However, I have too many brown LWB to buy another. The PTB comes in a single waterlock sole. They reminded me of my unlined tan suede PTBs. Many here find them comfortable, but I actually prefer a double leather sole. Nice to see some great non-shell Alden make-ups. Happy shopping my friends!

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/alden/97878-longwing.html

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, those are sweet. Congratulations. Assuming they are calfskin, I'll bet a couple separate applications of neutral cream will gradually take them out.

nephew,
I would do the obvious-email alden's with your question and a picture

marnomuth

Reaction score

So the question to the Alden folks.... between the Natty CXL and the Brown CXL, what would you vote for a casual daily shoe to be worn dark selvedge denim the majority of the time? I already have a pair of Alden Dark Brown CXL Indy boot... so I have been thinking more about the Natty CXL. But tifosi's pix of the Brown CXL has me rethinking that choice....
Ironically, I have both shoes. While I was checking in on my Natty CXL preorder at Alden DC, I saw the chrome tan excel PTB in person for the first time. I didn't think much of it online, but seeing the lovely color in person had me hooked. I went back the next week to purchase a pair, and a week after that, my Natty CXL LWB's came in. I feel like the shoes serve different purposes. The PTB can be a little more dressed up, IMO, especially if you use a product that adds some shine. The unlined PTB is a lot more comfortable, too, because of the flex welt sole; much less hefty. The brown CXL PTB is currently my favorite go-to Alden shoe. (I have 3 other pairs: 1 405 Indy, and 2 CXL LWB's.)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

**cross post from the shoe care thread.** just bought these used aldens. any ideas on how to remove these stains? or a decent shoe cobbler in san diego? i already tried lexol, saphir renovator, kiwi wax. im considering alden restoration or b.nelson. thanks in advance for your advice.
Personally, I think they look great as is. They have an awesome patina and the small stains/spots wouldn't bother me... though I do understand the appeal of the stains and patina being your own. If they were mine, I would just use a very small amount of water and a horse hair brush and buff until your arm feels like it's about to fall off. I am never one to use too much wax, paste, or cream. Sometimes, less is more.

REguy

Reaction score
Those old alpine cap toes are great. I wish more retailers would pull from the archives when coming up with new make-ups.

green garden

Reaction score

So the question to the Alden folks.... between the Natty CXL and the Brown CXL, what would you vote for a casual daily shoe to be worn dark selvedge denim the majority of the time? I already have a pair of Alden Dark Brown CXL Indy boot... so I have been thinking more about the Natty CXL. But tifosi's pix of the Brown CXL has me rethinking that choice....
+ 1 for Natty CXL and dark denim combo. Nothing wrong with Brown CXL plus dark denim. But the above Natty CXL has tons of character vs. the plain brown. IMHO the plain brown looks exactly like the description - plain.

green garden

Reaction score
All the discussion around the Leydon Natty CXL and Barrie last is getting me interested in the Leydon LWB. Can somebody post a side by side picture of the Leydon PTB or LWB vs. a Barrie in equivalent size (e.g. 8.5 Leydon vs. 8 Barrie)? Would love to be able to to see the profile comparison of the shoes.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the discussion around the Leydon Natty CXL and Barrie last is getting me interested in the Leydon LWB.  Can somebody post a side by side picture of the Leydon PTB or LWB vs. a Barrie in equivalent size (e.g. 8.5 Leydon vs. 8 Barrie)?  Would love to be able to to see the profile comparison of the shoes.

11.5 Barrie v. 12 Leydon. Not the greatest comparison, but you get the idea.

Also, I do apologize for addressing that vid again, MrDV

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the natty CXL and brown CXL longwings. The natty CXLs are one of my most complimented and are a great casual shoe. The brown CXL can be surprisingly dressy when buffed / polished up. I find it to be a good substitute for the cigar longwing if you can't find that particular shoe. Brown CXL looks significantly better with age. So does natty CXL, but I actually think the regular brown ages a bit better. Tough choices.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ very nice comparison pic. I was surprised to see people posting earlier that a LWB would look weird on the Leydon last...clearly it does not, and I don't think it's as sleek as some people make it out to be. It's definitely narrower than Barrie, but it's not like it's some chisel-toe super sleek last or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads