1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

[​IMG]

LS ravello shortwings for me today.

2 people like this.
  2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

3. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

So solid.

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

"No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful."

(overstating perhaps but not by much)

5. thromb

thromb Senior member

What do you wear on Barrie-last shoes/boots? Curious because I know my size on the Barrie and curious how it translates. Thanks.

6. gcmartin1

gcmartin1 Active Member

Does anyone know if Alden made a style 998 saddle Oxfords?

7. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i didn't intend to cast leffot in a negative light. i have plenty of boots to wear this fall/winter so i don't need them now, just want them. i also dislike the cork sole, i found it to be heavy and less comfortable. so the pre-order route was fine to get the actual boot i wanted. and who knows, i live in seattle and our summers don't necessarily exclude boots as a possibility.

back a few years ago before alden did even less makeups than they do now, "ultimate" seemed more appropriate. as for pre-ordering, don't need them now or even next fall, just always wanted a pair. the pre-order is fine by me.

i do not understand the desire for all things shell cordovan in this thread. i have shell boots and they're certainly nice enough, and have their place, but i wouldn't only want shell boots. to each his own i guess

nice boots kennyx

edit:

Alden SF shows the natural cxl on their site, and that's usually a good indication that the model is a "stock" model. they also have a snuff indy that looks pretty great.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I happen to agree with you that there is a place for many materials and textures in the shoe closet. I myself have observed here that calf doesn't get as much love. I'm currently eager to expand my boot lineup in terms of rare shell, but that doesn't mean I don't maintain a soft spot for the likes of cxl. I happen to think others are offering great non-shell boots. If I seem down on the Indy it's not that I'm hating it, I'm just more interested in Alden's other offerings. I reach much more frequently for wingtip and captoe boots than Indys.

Yes, to each his own.

1 person likes this.
  9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Leffot has by far the best pre-order policy going. They only put it up once they have received confirmation from Alden so you are never going to wait 2+ years and they only require roughly $100 so you do not have to pull the full balance up front and they can play the float. That is not to say clays and problems are not going to occur but they are mitigating it as much as possible with this system.

10. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

Mine arrived late last week, and I'm thinking the same thing -- the last is sleeker looking, and I think more comfortable, than the Barrie.

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Spectacular! Where are these from sir?

12. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Your absolutely right! Maybe it's time .. everyone here seems to enjoy wearing them. I guess you just roll with the Barrie size first. Wondering how this makeup in king looks like in the wild... Jean boot for me personally. Plain Jane Double Leather sole would be nice. Moving outside of ones box can be a good thing:happy:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  13. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Is there an Indy boot without speed hooks? That's one of my biggest holdups in trying them.

14. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

15. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Speed hooks/eyelets are very easy to replace or exchange. Any cobbler can do it.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yea, but the spacing is different on the speedhooks vs the eyelets on a boot with both. I think it would look funny to replace the hooks with eyelets.

2 people like this.
  17. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Ah I see, I'll have to think about it haha

Ah thanks man, I saw those before but I don't wear suede shoes/boots.

18. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Don't tell me. Sitting in the back of your closet, forgotten, for the last few years?

If I want calf I almost never consider Alden. I can get C&J for a little more or AE for a lot less. Actually, when on sale, I can get C&J for a lot less. I'm not saying nobody should buy Alden calf, but I don't see myself doing it any time soon. For my money, Alden is for shell, other brands are for other things.

Agree that Leffot is pleasant to deal with and the 20% downpayment is extremely reasonable.

19. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

I don't think that any pair of Aldens has had more shit talked about it on this forum than the Unionmade Stevenson Indys. There were considerable quality issues. Mine had problems --gaps and slightly different shading-- but they are not noticeable to most folks.

So, as someone that owns a lot of Indys, here are a couple of thoughts. The waterlock soles on the Stevensons are interesting, but if these are your first pair, I would go for Indys on the neocork or commando sole, as they are more versatile. Next, the sole edging on the Stevensons are pretty light.

I agree with the feedback from other folks that if you are wed to the Natural Indys and want them now, you should consider picking them up on the neocork sole from The Shoe Mart, North River Outfitters, etc. Honestly though, for all the Indys that I own, I end up wearing the J. Crew Indys most of the time. They are the most versatile, have darker edging than the standard make-up (you will appreciate it), bombproof, and easy to take care of.

20. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

There are not enough Indys without speedhooks. It is too bad that you don't do suede, as depending on your size, you might be able to get questionably the best Indys ever released from Brown's. Unfortunately, my size is out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.