***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epc2

epc2 Senior member

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks shawnc. yes calfskin, I am willing to try neutral cream.
    uncle, not so obvious, I had not considered asking the fellows at alden. thanks for the idea.
    mp, thanks for the positive spin. I also think they look fine, but fear they wouldn't get worn as often because of the stains. I would see myself choosing other similar-cleaner shoes when getting ready. I will use little water and brush. that's my next step.
    +1. that's what i'm thinking too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks. For some reason I thought it was a extra stitch to make the shoes more waterproof. Waterlock sole? Just learning more about these stitches and welting etc...

4. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

great color combo.

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

no problem, its been forgotten.
    great work shawnc. i really like these kind of projects and success stories. please post the before pic when you get a chance.

6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Uncle,

Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks.

If I had any idea that they would turn out this nice, I definitely would have taken 'before' pictures. It never occurred to me to do that. My cobbler is an immigrant and it can be difficult to understand him sometimes. But I trust him immensely and the only thing I understood from him was 'yeah, I can fix'. That was good enough for me.

Thanks, but the color is cordovan. Maybe a little lighter than #8, probably along the lines of #6.

Thanks MrDV. If I can figure out how to insert a link from the listing, I will certainly do that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

7. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Great looking gunboats

8. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Gentlemen,
    Good evening. Long time lurker and first time post here on the Official Alden Thread.

I bought my first pair of Aldens nearly 10 years ago. The classic Indy 405. I have worn them hundreds of times but babied them over the years because they were my first and only pair of Aldens. They still look nearly new, but with a nice aged color. They are also easily my most comfortable footwear. Last year, I started to get hooked on shell boots. My first pair was the #8 Epault Brixton with antique soul.

This past Friday I paid my first visit to The Shoe Mart. Wow, I was totally blown away by that place. I intended on buying black shell wingtip boots and I did. I wasn't expecting to see or buy any rare shell colors because of the "shortage" and the fact that I have average 9D feet on Barrie and Truebalance. But guess what? I also walked out of the store with Cigar Indys. The employee who helped me with my purchase (I don't remember his name) also said they had some varieties of shoe and boot styles available in Ravello and Color 4. Because I was well past my expected budget, I didn't ask what style or sizes they had. But he made it sound like some of those could be had.

I'm not here to stoke the rumor mill regarding exotic shell availability, and I probably should've asked him more questions, but I also wanted to let everybody know that he didn't even bat an eye when I asked about the Cigar Indy. He walked out of the showroom and emerged 30 seconds later with Cigar in size 9. Perhaps the Alden gods were shining down on me last Friday or perhaps it was just dumb luck. I'll post pics sometime soon after I figure out how to use this forum.

Thanks to all for your information and pictures shared on this forum. Amazing knowledge and even more amazing collections!

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

10. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

You done good man! I love the pinking on the cap. I'd cop a pair of those at full retail if them made them again. Awesome :slayer:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great pickup! Patiently awaiting pics!

12. Don L

Don L Senior member

Ravello NST
    [​IMG]

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

Congrats on the score! Pix please!

Now what was that you said about Ravello and Color 4??? TSM's phone is gonna be ringing off the hook today!

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Man, do I want these!!

15. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

All hail to the King!

I don't know if Mac is my uncle -- many days it is all I can handle and then some to deal with the actual relatives I do have -- but Mac certainly is wise, and has good taste, as to his Aldens!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.