• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My friend, excellent acquisition!  I've seen these in several stores this summer, each one claiming that they were made "exclusively" for them.  Wear in great health, your sweet PTBs.

That's pretty funny because I was told that these have now been added as a stocked catalog item by Alden

Shiny

Reaction score

Epaulet brown CXL PTB
eby9ygev.jpg

I wanted a nice, daily shoe....but more importantly I needed something to hold me over while I'm waiting for some Pre-orders to be filled!!

Looks great. Congrats!

What do you call that extra stitch on the welt?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My friend, excellent acquisition! I've seen these in several stores this summer, each one claiming that they were made "exclusively" for them. Wear in great health, your sweet PTBs.

That's pretty funny because I was told that these have now been added as a stocked catalog item by Alden

I've seen them both at Need Supply and Epaulet. I saw them at Need first, but my size was sold out. A quick google search and they turned up at Epaulet.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Quote:
My friend, excellent acquisition! I've seen these in several stores this summer, each one claiming that they were made "exclusively" for them. Wear in great health, your sweet PTBs.
Thank you very much. I think these will get a lot of use!

digga

Reaction score
I've seen them both at Need Supply and Epaulet. I saw them at Need first, but my size was sold out. A quick google search and they turned up at Epaulet.
and Alden SF. In adult widths.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Personally, I think they look great as is. They have an awesome patina and the small stains/spots wouldn't bother me... though I do understand the appeal of the stains and patina being your own. If they were mine, I would just use a very small amount of water and a horse hair brush and buff until your arm feels like it's about to fall off. I am never one to use too much wax, paste, or cream. Sometimes, less is more.

Quoting this since it sums up my thoughts. I know MrDV keeps his shoes looking fantastic, but I'd just go with these and own the patina.

Love the alpine grain!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - I know this is an Alden site but please allow me this one transgression as I want to share an experience that was only possible because of 2 pieces of advice I received from this forum. I am an avid ebayer and search daily for deals on Alden. However someone once mentioned that they search on 'shell cordovan'. Since receiving that advice, I have added this to my daily search. A few days ago I found a pair of Florsheim long wings with tassels for $100 shipped. There is a little tear in the leather but I showed the listing to my cobbler before pulling the trigger and he ensured me that he could take care of it. In addition to this defect the shoes just looked really crappy but I figured that about a month or so of regularly applying the 'Mac Method' could possibly clean them up. Either way, at $100 for shells, in my mind it was worth the risk. I spent 15 minutes on these shoes and this is the result

Following the MM, I wiped them down with a damp rag and began rigorous brushing. Quite honestly I could have stopped here and would have been satisfied with the result. Then I applied a little Saphir renovator and brushed rigorously. I followed this up by boning each shoe. Unlike when applying wax, I brush the first shoe before boning the second one. My understanding of the advantage of the deer bone is that it raises the natural oils from the shell and that by immediately brushing, you spread the oils much better.

I am not only stunned by the result but also by how easily it was achieved. I understand that most either love or hate tassels but I really like them. And I especially like the combination of the long wing since the shoe moves easily between dressed and less dressy.

I feel like I picked up a great pair of shoes that instantly move into my main rotation for $100. It would not have been possible without the patience and advice from members of this forum. Thanks to all.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Beautiful shoe, Uncle.  Which do you prefer (or wear more often), the color 8 or cigar version?  Both look great!

nephew,
thank you
I prefer the king

Organika

Reaction score
Looks great. Congrats!

What do you call that extra stitch on the welt?

Called a pre-stitch reverse welt. Actually most of the plain toe and long wing double sole have them but sometimes tough to notice because the stitch blends in a bit more.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Guys - I know this is an Alden site but please allow me this one transgression as I want to share an experience that was only possible because of 2 pieces of advice I received from this forum. I am an avid ebayer and search daily for deals on Alden. However someone once mentioned that they search on 'shell cordovan'. Since receiving that advice, I have added this to my daily search. A few days ago I found a pair of Florsheim long wings with tassels for $100 shipped. There is a little tear in the leather but I showed the listing to my cobbler before pulling the trigger and he ensured me that he could take care of it. In addition to this defect the shoes just looked really crappy but I figured that about a month or so of regularly applying the 'Mac Method' could possibly clean them up. Either way, at $100 for shells, in my mind it was worth the risk. I spent 15 minutes on these shoes and this is the result

Following the MM, I wiped them down with a damp rag and began rigorous brushing. Quite honestly I could have stopped here and would have been satisfied with the result. Then I applied a little Saphir renovator and brushed rigorously. I followed this up by boning each shoe. Unlike when applying wax, I brush the first shoe before boning the second one. My understanding of the advantage of the deer bone is that it raises the natural oils from the shell and that by immediately brushing, you spread the oils much better.

I am not only stunned by the result but also by how easily it was achieved. I understand that most either love or hate tassels but I really like them. And I especially like the combination of the long wing since the shoe moves easily between dressed and less dressy.

I feel like I picked up a great pair of shoes that instantly move into my main rotation for $100. It would not have been possible without the patience and advice from members of this forum. Thanks to all.

nephew,
I like tassels and thanks for sharing
wear in good health

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look great! Do you have a before pic? Perhaps from the Ebay listing? Also show before/after pics of the tear. What did your cobbler say that he could do to fix it?

Organika

Reaction score

Looks like a unique shell color, very nice shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics