• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score

Not sure I agree with this... whenever I've tried or viewed Alden for BB in stores, they've been beat up, scuffed, etc... I found a pair of BB short wingtip bal/oxfords today at the BB on Madison Av. Wonderful shoe, but all kinds of finishing flaws... color 8 dye splashed all over the inside lining and little scuffs and dents here and there. Shell enthusiasts know these dents are difficult to remove unless you're adept with the dear bone. These issues do not bother me, but Adam of Carmel would have a giant-sized COW if you sent them back to him. Specialty stores like Leffot, Alden of Madison, etc... are much better with service and care than a general men's store that have SA's with little to no knowledge of shell cordovan.I don't have an opinion on the 2160 and the snap last. They're pretty similar. Cheers my friends...

Thanks very much. Your suggestions are very vauable.

epc2

Reaction score
Anybody knows the difference between a D an E width (Barrie last), same lenght , 9.5D and 9.5E,Also When going up in width from D to E on the same size does the lenght stay the same? Also is the heel much wider or just a bit?

Also is a 9E wider than a 9.5D?or about the same?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to work out some sizing issues ,on a D the heel fits perfect no slip at all but the pinky toe on my right feet was killing me so want to go with an E just wondering how much wider the heel will be.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure I agree with this... whenever I've tried or viewed Alden for BB in stores, they've been beat up, scuffed, etc... I found a pair of BB short wingtip bal/oxfords today at the BB on Madison Av. Wonderful shoe, but all kinds of finishing flaws... color 8 dye splashed all over the inside lining and little scuffs and dents here and there. Shell enthusiasts know these dents are difficult to remove unless you're adept with the dear bone. These issues do not bother me, but Adam of Carmel would have a giant-sized COW if you sent them back to him. Specialty stores like Leffot, Alden of Madison, etc... are much better with service and care than a general men's store that have SA's with little to no knowledge of shell cordovan.I don't have an opinion on the 2160 and the snap last. They're pretty similar. Cheers my friends...

I could have elaborated when adding my 2 cents about BB being accommodating.

RTP makes some good points above.

I was using the word accommodating in the sense of "willing to please."

In terms of ordering, trying on to ascertain proper fit, and having to return if necessary, there is no retailer more accommodating. There is also no retailer more accommodating when it comes to returning a shoe. For example, I had a shell model that developed an annoying squeak. I brought it to BB's attention. I had had the shoe for probably 18 months. They actually encouraged me to return it for a full refund - no questions asked. A great majority of my experiences with BB have been online. However, I have dealt directly with two stores in particular - one in CA and one in MA - where the staff was great (inspected the shoes for me; gave me free overnight shipping, etc).

My comment did not go to the issue of knowledgeable staff as it relates to Aldens. That BB does not have. But that isn't something I need them to have at this stage in my Alden career, but I can see where it might be important to some.

As for shoes beat up or scuffed or otherwise in curious condition, yes - I have experienced that with BB, but I have also experienced it with other retailers. Perhaps most notably a color 8 model that arrived at my door with a right shoe and a left shoe in such different shades of burgundy that it was nearly comical (and this from a factory store).

There are a few other retailers I would put on a par with BB as regards the issues above, but no retailer, in my experience, surpasses them.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whiskey LWB

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score

I could have elaborated when adding my 2 cents about BB being accommodating.

RTP makes some good points above.

In terms of ordering, trying on to ascertain proper fit, and having to return if necessary, there is no retailer more accommodating. There is also no retailer more accommodating when it comes to returning a shoe. For example, I had a shell model that developed an annoying squeak. I brought it to BB's attention. I had had the shoe for probably 18 months. They actually encouraged me to return it for a full refund - no questions asked. A great majority of my experiences with BB have been online. However, I have dealt directly with two stores in particular - one in CA and one in MA - where the staff was great (inspected the shoes for me; gave me free overnight shipping, etc).

My comment did not go to the issue of knowledgeable staff as it relates to Aldens. That BB does not have. But that isn't something I need them to have at this stage in my Alden career, but I can see where it might be important to some.

As for shoes beat up or scuffed or otherwise in curious condition, yes - I have experienced that with BB, but I have also experienced it with other retailers. Perhaps most notably a color 8 model that arrived at my door with a right shoe and a left shoe in such different shades of burgundy that it was nearly comical (and this from a factory store).

There are a few other retailers I would put on a par with BB as regards the issues above, but no retailer, in my experience, surpasses them.

Thanks very much for your advice. In my case I know my size that I need to order, just that returning is not an option for me. I need a store that will get it right the first time. It may be a good idea to call Kathy or Jim to pre inspect before shipping. What do u think.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks very much for your advice. In my case I know my size that I need to order, just that returning is not an option for me. I need a store that will get it right the first time. It may be a good idea to call Kathy or Jim to pre inspect before shipping. What do u think.

Yes. Either one of them will be very helpful.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I visited the alden san Francisco store last week. Larry provided excellent customer service, you can tell he loves aldens as much as we do. I bought a cigar belt, the wider 35 mm. They have a couple bigger sizes left. They have whiskey size 40 and 42, and cigar 42. I wear size 36 belts, and bought the last size 38 they had. its a little longer, but fits nicely. I considered getting a whiskey as well and having it sized down, but didn't. is it bad that I enjoyed the alden store as much or more than the other touristy attractions?
Ha! I'm the same way. I've been pushing to go to Hawaii with my other half...mostly to visit Leather Soul :paranoia: :hide:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle, great looking welt/edge trim. Question, is your gyw deck stitch black thread? It really looks dark, lot of character. 

nephew,
thank you
it is dark

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SevenFoldTieGuy: RTP makes some good points above.

RTP: I agree with everything SFTG posted here. I realized after reading Seven's original post, my definition of customer service and accommodation was much more broad than I intended. I really like that BB wingtip oxford, but tough to pull the trigger when already having three other color 8 wingtip/brogue variations. Tough to find this one also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads