• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Bucksfan, kudos my friend. Absolutely an outstanding ensemble. Nicely pressed slacks, properly cuffed I might add, complimentary argyles, and hitting the pavement with what some might say are the quintessential Alden shell loafer, introduced I believe by Alden in 1947 as Mac recently reminded us. I too dress very conservatively, but I haven't had a tasseled loafer since you were in pre-school. All the great tassels being posted lately are pushing me closer to joining your club. Now, if I could only find a pair in Ravello.

Thank you, I particularly like Alden's take on the tassel loafer.

Lookin very good bucksfan...  These are classics that can be worn by men of any age, imo.

Thank you, I agree.

Bucksfan, looking good as always. Just when I thought I'd try to be done buying Aldens this summer, you've made me feel the sickness again. Guess I have to follow Mac's advice on color 8 being king and tassels definitely being the way to go. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Good luck! Now just decide whether to get the alden or brooks brothers version (the bb version has foxing on the heel)

nephew
looking good in your tassels

Thank you!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, the writer wasn't asking about black tassels. He was asking about color 8. Second, who is glenjay and why would "glenjay" have any authority on the question? Third, who says seams is the be-all-end-all criteria for dressy?

What about last? For example, take the Alden barrie last PTB. There are no seams at all. But the roundness of the shoe makes it less than dressy for many whereas the same shoe on a sleeker last -- plaza, for example, makes the otherwise same shoe more formal.

What about ornamentation other than seams- like tassels or brogueing? I have always heard that more brogueing, less formality.

What about laces v. slip-on?

What about welt? Color of the welt or edge? Leffot makes the Alden Barrie last PTB even less dressy than the regular Barrie last PTB with an antiqued welt.

And let's be honest: as good-looking a shoe as the Alden tassel loafer may be, how in the world can you take a flopping tassel seriously? I mean, the shoe is called a mocassin -- the essence of casual. If you have one shoe for needs that include business, how can a tassel be the choice?

Of course, the answer really is to avoid a debate that is inherently subjective, and get all three.

There are some legal circles (i.e. NYC) that view the black (or color 8) tassel moc as a must-have to a lawyer's wardrobe. I wish I can remember where the article I read on this came from, but it did suggest that the tassel moc was a standard part of an NYC lawyer's "uniform." To each his own my friend.... No need to be hostile. That said, I agree with everything you posted.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are some legal circles (i.e. NYC) that view the black (or color 8) tassel moc as a must-have to a lawyer's wardrobe. I wish I can remember where the article I read on this came from, but it did suggest that the tassel moc was a standard part of an NYC lawyer's "uniform."  To each his own my friend....  No need to be hostile.  That said, I agree with everything you posted.

nephew,
from my experience, in the 1960's and 1970's the bb version of the tassel in both #8 and black were seen in both the white shoe law firms and the investment bankers

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you, Uncle.
The first pic I am leaning far forward to take the picture. The second pic, I am sitting awkwardly in the edge of a chair to take the pic.  However, if you are such an expert tailor that you are able to discern the fit of my pants from these two pictures, then I will have to concede to your judgement.  They are the same size as all of my other pants, all of which seem to fit fine.  Neither of my sisters have commented on the fit of my trousers, and they would not hesitate to do so given the opportunity.

Appreciate your eagerness to help though.

I'd say trouser fit often comes across less than accurately in the shoe-centric photos on this thread. It's a hazard of the photo style.

Still a good thing you didn't post in the pants thread, anyway. :)

And the LHS look very nice in cigar. I'm really a fan of these in all the colors.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
nephew,
from my experience, in the 1960's and 1970's the bb version of the tassel in both #8 and black were seen in both the white shoe law firms and the investment bankers

Motion 12(b)(6) on all other arguments. Thanks, Uncle Mac.

Hill

Reaction score

ravello ptb
argyles otc

These are outstanding.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uncle Mac how many times have the revello ptb been worn and how old are they?

They look fresh out of the factory.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle Mac how many times have the revello ptb been worn and how old are they?

They look fresh out of the factory.

nephew,
the shoes are several years old and are sparing worn

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Awesome color on your Ravello PTB Uncle Mac. Are these a C width? They look sleeker than usual or may be just the photography.

nephew,
thank you
d width

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night I channeled my inner Mac and did some work on my whiskey PTBs. Not as stellar as Mac's Ravello but I'm pretty happy with the results:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last night I channeled my inner Mac and did some work on my whiskey PTBs. Not as stellar as Mac's Ravello but I'm pretty happy with the results:

nephew,
good looking whiskey with good shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads