1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I might pick up a pair of Shell 8 Cap Toe boots on the Grant last. Versus the PTB in Color 8:

Which pair is more versatile? i.e. which can I wear with formal wear but rock casually? I love Alden boots and the cap toes have a commando sole. Can I wear the boots with dress slacks as well as I could the PTB (leather sole) ?

Also considering holding out for a PTB or a LWB in Ravello...

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

firs thought. LOVE LS and every makeup they offer, but I'm about to have to tap out from alden here soon sadly

2 people like this.
  3. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

When suede is starting to approach shell prices...

4. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

Any models still on your radar?

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Sounds like you're comparing the 990 and 4060CH, which are among the most versatile Aldens. You can wear both casually with jeans or chinos, or dressed up with odd trousers and a jacket (yes, the boots have a commando sole, but it's pretty low profile). Perhaps the PTBs are more versatile due to the leather sole, but they're also on the Barrie last and have a storm/split reverse (I can never remember which it is) welt, whereas the boots are on the sleeker Grant last and have a flat welt.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

would grab jcrew ravello LWB from last yr (as my pair I ordered was 'lost' and they were unwilling to give a 'generous' discount for an 11D that I would have had to try and make work) if they ever came up on the resale

same shade ravello chukka on antique
    #8lwb on antique or PTB on antique (I know I could grab antique LWB from fransboone right now but dont feel like eating that kinda exchange rate money)
    maybe a cigar captoe or plaintoe not on crepe (prefer commando, but leather would suffice)

thats really it. everything else I have I'm happy with (and barely wear as is). unless some Modified options intrigued me. If by some miracle, Moulded could start offering shell on ML, I'd be selling quite a few models to replace with ML. but that will never happen

I'm starting to look at Carmina to fill some of holes. epaulet is doing some major things lately.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

$575 is still getting up there, but with Beverly Hills back in operation, split the inventory and charge less/free ground in the CONUS. Two day air from Hawaii or the West Coast is great, but I can wait a week. Then again, it seems like most make ups sell out...so ignore my input.

8. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

I just started looking at Carmina too. Besides epaulet and its website, do you know where can i find them?

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Armoury runs Carmina too IIRC

1 person likes this.
  10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Me too - same size. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  13. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Nice photos

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i would hate to be just getting into the shoe game; rare styles are even rarer and basic make-ups are 25-30% higher than 4 years ago

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  15. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I can't find them. If the seller of these is reading this forum (and I assume he is), send me a PM if these are still available.

16. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

hi folks,

I would like some sizing advise. I currently own 1 LWB and 1 NST boots both in barrie last 8D, I also own a indy in trubalance last 7.5D.

The barrie last in 8D fits me good but a bit room in the front.

The trubalance last in 7.5D fits perfectly...

I plan to get a Jcrew jumper boots in barrie last and I am wondering if i should stay with 8D or give 7.5D a try.

Any suggestion?

Thank you so much!

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Typical wisdom is that Barrie and Trubalance run the same size

18. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I'm the same size in Barrie and Trubalance so can't help you much there. I'd suggest ordering both sizes and then returning the one that doesn't fit as well.

19. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Sounds like I should give 7.5D A TRY...

20. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I feel the same way. I got in at the right moment a few years ago. My first Aldens were Cigar LWB and Ravello WT boots from TSM. Both were around the $600 mark. Since then i've added a lot more shell in #8 and another pair in Cigar. But, I haven't bought a pair of Aldens in over 2 years. With prices steadily going up I doubt I ever buy Aldens again. I love the ones I have but I'm also content with them. I still look at all the cool makeups but I've never said "I have to have that".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.