1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I agree on the downside of cxl wrinkling and about El Argentino's lwb's (his pics inspired me to get natty cxl lwb's on the leydon from Ep; btw, happy birthday, El Arg!!); however, the wrinkling of cxl issue is, i believe, overshadowed by the extreme comfort they offer. I don't like the horizontal wrinkling on the vamp of my blue cxl greenwich wt boots, but the cxl is so supple and moldable that it feels like butter. The only reason I don't wear them more is I'm still unsure of whether blue cxl can be worn confidently with selvedge denim.

One more point about cxl: I've gotten tired of waiting for a wt boot in cigar shell, so I recently got on Adam's preorder for cxl wt boots thru AofC. He's promising them in April, in case anyone is interested.

Btw, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the unlined shell 8 ptbs from Leff. If anyone sees any reason why I should not, please speak now or forever hold your peace (I'm heading home to grab some credit cards now, but will check this thread one last time before I officially kop).

I knew I wouldn't make it through December without an Alden purchase. That means it's been a straight year of falling further and further down the rabbit hole of addiction. And I thought blowing up my secret about the vanilla visa gift cards would slow me down; dear wife's overly kind and accepting stance has only fueled the Aldenitis...

2. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

What last are the WT boots on?

3. docalden2013

Barrie

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Old Alden Logo

I got a pair of shoes recently and the package was sealed with Alden packing tape bearing their older logo (pictured below). When did they use this logo? I have seen it around periodically.

[​IMG]
    (Picture snagged from eBay)

Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Gentlemen...

I'm going to get an early start on a new year's resolution...Which is reducing my Alden collection to a manageable number... I've discussed this with some forum members on PM, and it is probably the right thing to do, especially as I add some non-Aldens (Viberg, Edward Green, Marlows, etc) to the rotation.

I am reducing my Alden pairs to 20 by the end of this year with a goal of getting to a maximum of 16 Aldens by the end of 2014. I will continue to buy them, but only on on a one shoe in, one shoe out basis. Excess shoes will be sold, donated, handed down, etc.

My thought is I will have twenty "slots" in my Alden rotation:
    Four cordovan work laceups
    Four cordovan high boots
    Four cordovan casual laceups
    Eight seasonal shoes (random mix of styles and leathers, focusing on chukkas/boots, loafers, suede, cxl, etc)

Initially, there will actually be twenty shoes fitting these slots. However, by the end of 2014, four shoes will fill double duty, which should get me to 16 pairs. Which shoes stay and go will be determined by actual wear patterns across the seasons.

As part of this effort I will be putting some shoes up on eBay/marketplace this weekend...

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I'm hoping we are not the same size...

7. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Odd--I had the exact opposite hope!

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha!

9. docalden2013

I think Alcibiades is a smart man. I'm around 20 prs of Aldens currently and am finding that there are shoes that rarely get worn due to the out of sight, out of mind issue (IIRC from Psych 101, there is a "magic number" of 7 +/- 2 that humans can easily hold in their working memories while attending to other things). I am a fan of using the framework of 20 parking spaces to make sure one is thinking in a conscious, reflective manner about which shoes are most important, versatile or rugged. When you get to > 12 pairs, I believe that you get a clear sense of what types of shoes you need for which particular purposes and which shoes end up being the ones that get worn once or twice per season (see, e.g., my impulse purchase of the AE Spiaggias in white nubuck that got worn exactly twice this summer, because my Alden snuff suede always felt more rugged and comfy). I think it would be interesting to think aloud about which shoes should fall within the categories mentioned:

I'm thinking one should have an Indy boot in cxl or a kudu or tobacco chamois for shit-kicker purposes and rainy days. The list would also have lots of color 8 and cigar (lwb, lhs, ptb and dressy bals having priority over nsts or monks). What do you guys think?

10. thams

thams Senior member

Good thing about having a relatively small budget -- I gotta really think about my purchases. That being said, I think #8 in all the classic styles is highly recommended. In terms of exotics, I think it's up to the person to determine how often these would be worn according to their wardrobe. As cool as I think whiskey LWB look, they just don't fit as well with my style as #8 or cigar. HOWEVER, everyone needs a little exotic in their life. Need some ravello cap toe boots and LWB in my life.

11. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Maintenance day for me. Treated both pairs of my Alden boots with Leather Defender. The Leather Soul Ultimate Indys are ready for battle, the #8 JCrews are still in Mac Method training.
    weather forecast for Dallas starting tomorrow is a chance of freezing rain through Sunday and temperatures as low as 13 degrees. I realize that ain't crap for many of you, but it's a big deal for Dallas where we rarely go below freezing, and below 20 is even more rare. I know the Leather Soul Ultimate Indys are a good choice for those days, and my backups are Kudu Indys. As soon as the #8 PCT boots are broke in, I will be wearing those too in the bad weather.

I've seen a lot of nice Whiskey Wednesday photos today, with a few other models mixed in. Great Stuff!

See Ya,
    Steve

[​IMG]

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I have taken a somewhat similar approach. My formula is 4 shoes and 4 boots and done, all shell cordovan. Seems minimalist but it works. I have other very casual shoes like vans, nike, sperrys, and DC shoes that i wear on the weekend to walk the dog, exercise, do yardwork etc.

13. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

If your rotation includes a lot of other brands it makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm fortunate and rarely have a need for suit and tie. I agree you need a few shit kicking boots, regardless of brand. I've got that covered with Aldens and real shit kicking boots too. Jealous?

All of my Alden collection, and everything else I own works with jeans or business casual. I really don't have anything that is suit and tie only.

I've a few AE cordovans, 1 Hanover cordovan and the rest is Alden. I do need to take a hard look at a few pairs that get very little wear. I like the concept of rotating out a pair when you get a pair to replace something you don't wear much.

I culled a lot of my cowboy collection last winter to the point most of it gets worn 1 time per month and for sure 2-3 times per year. In the case of my cowboy boots, some I will simply won't part with because they are not replaceable...they are reserved for special occasions.

No doubt I'm at a point where theres only a few Alden make ups I will be interested in, and when those become available I will clear out some of the herd.

See Ya,
    Steve

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Store them in a manner that no pairs are out of sight. That will help. And I am not being sarcastic. I have numerous pairs of shoes and boots - Aldens, EG, JL, C&J, AC, AE, etc. - and mine are stored in such a way (multiple cedar racks) that no pair is out of sight.

15. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

That was me. Thanks for the info. My insider contact left J. Crew a couple of months ago, so no more scoops for me. No more huge discounts, either. :sadpanda:

16. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

Hello all, new member, longtime reader; regardless, you all have beautiful footwear. I too am curious about this pair, anyone have any information?

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

#8 grant captoe boot

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

excellent combo sir.

nephew,
    thank you

19. mcarthur