1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That is true if cordovan is being used to describe a color (oxblood, deep burgundy, Color 8 type colors). If the product is made from horsehide, it shouldn't be assumed to be shell (at your own risk of doing so), but many use the terms incorrectly and you just have to be an educated consumer. Even Kathy at Alden DC has been caught calling their shell shoes horsehide.

1 person likes this.
  2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yummy! Have to start breaking mine in.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. Don L

Don L Senior member

4. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Looking for thoughts on versatility between the recent #8 dover unlined PTB from Leffot and the same shoe in brown CXL....I was lucky enough to pick up the Leffot version (with the lucky Horween stamp!) but haven't worn them yet as I am not quite sure how to fit them into my wardrobe.....they seem like a casual design with a non-casual leather.....thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thanks for posing this question, Atl. I've been wondering about PTBs along the same line of thinking: do I need a color 8 shell ptb if I already have a cigar ptb?

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I will keep my answer brief: yes. :D

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The color 8 Dover is easily casual enough for wear with denim and the like.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Thanks guys, these were definitely worth the wait. It sucks while you're waiting, but once you get them you forget about all that time spent waiting.

I agree about all the fantastic LWBs lately. I think I could wear only LWBs and be perfectly happy, there are so many choices in many different leathers: a couple choices in CXL (brown, natural, don't think I've seen navy yet but I'm sure they could do this at some point), a few more available in suede (tan, snuff, dark brown, navy), and even more in shell (black, #8, cigar, ravello, whiskey). I'm sure I'm forgetting some others out there, and the choices become even bigger when you factor in that some colors have different options for dark vs light edge trim.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

if you had to choose one, would you go with the #8 for long-term durability and ability to dress it up more than the CXL?

10. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

yes you need both

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

ATLVol,

These are essentially the same shoe with a different type of leather. The cordovan leather will look "dressier" to most eyes while remaining casual where as the CXL model will look more like nice casual shoes. Both work with the same outfits; the color 8 version will look better with suits if you choose to wear them with suits. For example both would work well with flannels and a sportscoat; however, the color 8 would look a bit dressier. I would stick with the cordovan if you ever intend to wear these with suits; however, if you are going to be mostly casual, either one would work, and it is really up to you.

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I've owned both (sold the cigar). These are pretty different due to the sole color. The color 8 PTB (I assume you are talking about the standard 999) looks much dressier. The cigar PTB is more of a casual shoe.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It was well worth the wait my friend. Enjoy them often and in great health!

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I was going through this same dilemna when the #8 Dover was available in my size (for like 2 minutes, ha!). I have the brown CXL and they are awesome shoes. As someone said, they are really nice casual shoes. I have been on a cordovan frenzy so that really would have been the only reason I'd buy the #8. The CXL just work so well as a casual shoe. I was forced to decide not to get them before I made up my mind...but I think I would have made the same decision. I'd rather spend the shoe fund on something else. It's a shame because you could have gotten the CXL @ NeedSupply on Monday for 20% off. No brainer at that point!

15. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Definitely the unlined color 8 PTB, specifically as it will have a more dressy look to it in comparison to the CXL version. They are both really nice, but I would be more hesitant to wear the CXL in a dressier setting all else being equal. In terms of durability, I think they will both hold up quite well, and while Shell has the reputation as the "ultimate" leather, CXL is very sturdy. They both have the same sole and should age/wear in a similar fashion, I believe. I like the shell version better from a functional and aesthetic perspective, but that is just personal opinion.

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Steve, a very good report, which does not by itself insure you of a passing grade this semester. If your work continues to improve you will be allowed to take the final. I'm giving you an (A)lden for your creativity and imagination.

17. BeSpiffington

Congratulations! Pretty exciting huh? Your in deep now boy. My condolences to the contents of your bank account. Wear them in good health.

18. BeSpiffington

Uncle, your feet look very happy. A man with happy feet can dance his way thru life.

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Been trying, but they aren't as keen of "in the wild" photos on that thread...

-Mike

20. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Savages!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.