• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmaier

Reaction score
The Shoe Mart just put up a bunch of new Alden stock. Looks like there is some cordovan and lots of suede.

stmaier

Reaction score
If you click the Alden filter there are about 273 results. There were 211 results yesterday.

tampatravel

Reaction score
To echo Mediahound, if you have a standard D width foot, then Unionmade would be a good place to check out. If you have either narrow or wide feet, then Alden SF will be far more efficacious if you're looking to buy (and not just browse). But... why not check out both? They're very different vibes and have divergent offerings.

I'll certainly be going to the Alden SF store - I think it's located a short walk from the JW Marriott I'm staying at. I was just wondering if the store was worth a special trip. I'm going now, no matter how many eye rolls I get from the g/f.

Does everyone on here - and I just thought of this - wear more expensive shoes than their significant others?

jereth

Reaction score

Got my first pair of Alden's about a week ago, have a couple questions for the masses. 1. I treated them last night with Montana Pine Pitch and am having some weird reverse toe cap thing happen, tried to put extra on the end to even it out but it won't work - what's the deal with that? 2. How many wears should I give it until I give up on the side digging into my ankle? Left boot feels like a million bucks, right boot is almost giving me black and blues digging into the ankle with every step, have some band-aids on to lessen it but this is the 3rd or 4th time I've worn these and its not really easing up out as hoped, have work looser and tighter - should I give it a handful of other wears? Sizing is dead-on otherwise.
1. Not sure but I would assume that it is because of support material causing the oil to absorb differently then the rest of the boot. 2. Had a similar issue with Indys though not as extreme. Whenever I get a new pair of boots I lace them as tight as I can and do something active. Hike, yard work, whatever just as long as the boot heats up and conforms to your foot sooner. May take a few wears but mine have become the most comfortable boots I ever owned.

jereth

Reaction score

I'll certainly be going to the Alden SF store - I think it's located a short walk from the JW Marriott I'm staying at. I was just wondering if the store was worth a special trip. I'm going now, no matter how many eye rolls I get from the g/f.

Does everyone on here - and I just thought of this - wear more expensive shoes than their significant others?

Initial cost yes, but my 5 pairs will outlast her 20 pairs 10 fold.

arrow

Reaction score

I'm convinced someone working at Unionmade must wear my same size. My size is almost never in stock and when they get a new Alden in, it's the first to sell out.  Even looking at their site right now, some Aldens have every other size in stock and my size is skipped. 

ha ha... I don't work there but if you are a size 9, then I'm sorry.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Initial cost yes, but my 5 pairs will outlast her 20 pairs 10 fold.

Bingo. A funny thing happened to me last summer when I was headed to buy a pair of shoes that I had been carefully planning on purchasing. My wife was walking with me, and shortly after I paid for them, a strap on one of her shoes snapped as we were walking to a shop she wanted to go to. I had to pull a pocket knife out and cut off the remaining straps behind the forepart of the shoe to convert her shoe into a flip-flop just so that she could keep wearing them until we got home. Almost a year later, the pair I bought is still amazing looking. Needless to say, she doesn't have any doubts about the quality you are paying for.

herrmj

Reaction score

I hit Alden SF and Unionmade last time I was in SF, the Unionmade store was def worth the bart ride out to mission. Go see taylor stitch too.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got my first pair of Alden's about a week ago, have a couple questions for the masses. 1. I treated them last night with Montana Pine Pitch and am having some weird reverse toe cap thing happen, tried to put extra on the end to even it out but it won't work - what's the deal with that? 2. How many wears should I give it until I give up on the side digging into my ankle? Left boot feels like a million bucks, right boot is almost giving me black and blues digging into the ankle with every step, have some band-aids on to lessen it but this is the 3rd or 4th time I've worn these and its not really easing up out as hoped, have work looser and tighter - should I give it a handful of other wears? Sizing is dead-on otherwise.
I wore boots daily for work for 50 yrs never found a pair that didnt break in eventually .that part of the leg is pretty sensitive try moleskin it comes in two thickness lot better than bandaids and shave the area you put it on first.It wiil last thru 2 or3 showers if you wear the boots daily otherwise just when you wear the boots .I always wore (still do)high quality wool socks There is a company in vermont called Darn Tough that makes hands down the best boot socks money can buy

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi Gents,

my latest aquisition. The unlined PTB No. 8 from Alden DC. No luck at Tassels nor LSH caused 2 years of desperation.
It was a total pleasure to deal with Kathy. Especially her voice on the phone sounds so incredible mellifluous.

Fresh out of the box with one coat of Alden Leather Defender

[ATTACHMENT=6041]Alden PTB No. 8 unlined special edition 001.JPG (2,859k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

shot with flash - i wonder wether Alden changed the in-house dye? I do miss the typical aubergine lacquer/glace (exact term in German: Appretur)
Am i wrong guys :puzzled:

[ATTACHMENT=6042]Alden PTB No. 8 unlined special edition 002.JPG (2,815k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

cheerio
Joachim

wear in good health

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ravello nst
argyles otc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads