• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It used to be, if you want such and such shells, buy them today, for we know next year for certain the price will be 5-10% higher.

Now its, if you get lucky and happen to find them, get them immediately, for we don't know if such and such shoe will be available again in the next 12-24 months!

I had no intentions of buying any whiskey this year. But I slowly began to covet it, after having it grow on me a few years. When a few things luckily popped up in my size, I jumped on them knowing that I may get the chance for a loooong time.

Shiny

Reaction score

Was real excited about getting some shell tassels in my life, but even after all the info on the last, i mis-sized. I'm an 8D on the brannock, 7.5D on trubal, and with common knowledge of aberdeen being narrow, i went with a 7.5E. Unfortunately, the shoe is still long (i can stick my finger in the back heel), though the width in the toe box seemed ok. Will a heel pad, insole, or something along those lines be my remedy? Or should I return and size down more bc it will always slip? Does the width of the whole last increase from D to E, or just the toe area?

I hope you don't go to a Japanese restaurant where they ask you to remove your shoes. :embar:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually disagree about sizing down on those tassels if he intends to wear them sockless. Why? Because cordovan is very hot in spring / summer, and if he wears them sockless, his feet may sweat... Wearing very tight cordovan shoes will exacerbate that and could make his feet uncomfortable. I have a pair of Marlow cordovan tassels in 10.5d (a length too big) that is great for sockless wear as it lets air get into the shoe. I got that pair for cheap and use it exclusively as a sockless pair.

For shoes in suede, chromexcel or other calf, I don't follow this logic, but I do for cordovan. YMMV

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was real excited about getting some shell tassels in my life, but even after all the info on the last, i mis-sized. I'm an 8D on the brannock, 7.5D on trubal, and with common knowledge of aberdeen being narrow, i went with a 7.5E.
Unfortunately, the shoe is still long (i can stick my finger in the back heel), though the width in the toe box seemed ok. Will a heel pad, insole, or something along those lines be my remedy? Or should I return and size down more bc it will always slip? Does the width of the
whole last increase from D to E, or just the toe area?

URL]

IMO I'd return them. It's been my experience that if loafers don't work
out of the box they probably never will. I believe any home remedies would be a fruitless endeavor. File it under lesson learned and grab a pair that fit properly. Good Luck Sir!

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually disagree about sizing down on those tassels if he intends to wear them sockless. Why? Because cordovan is very hot in spring / summer, and if he wears them sockless, his feet may sweat... Wearing very tight cordovan shoes will exacerbate that and could make his feet uncomfortable. I have a pair of Marlow cordovan tassels in 10.5d (a length too big) that is great for sockless wear as it lets air get into the shoe. I got that pair for cheap and use it exclusively as a sockless pair.

For shoes in suede, chromexcel or other calf, I don't follow this logic, but I do for cordovan. YMMV

Foot temperature aside, the shoes don't fit. Based on his pics, his foot will literally come out of the shoe when taking a stride. I'm not suggesting a shoe that is tight. I'm suggesting a shoe that simply fits.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foot temperature aside, the shoes don't fit. Based on his pics, his foot will literally come out of the shoe when taking a stride. I'm not suggesting a shoe that is tight. I'm suggesting a shoe that simply fits.

Fair - I was just cautioning if he intended to wear them mostly sockless. Any shoe that fits with socks should feel looser without socks... The length seems long but I would hesitate sizing down a width...

Hermitedge

Reaction score

Fair - I was just cautioning if he intended to wear them mostly sockless. Any shoe that fits with socks should feel looser without socks... The length seems long but I would hesitate sizing down a width...

Ideally I'd wear them with thin socks for work, and if I wore them the slutty way, i'd probably still wear a no-show sock like the Falke Step variety.

I appreciate all the advice, going to see if the place has anything smaller on hand, might try the 7D for snug fit with less complete foot slip. Also, does the van last fit fairly the same in the LHS #8?

hkpm

Reaction score
Ideally I'd wear them with thin socks for work, and if I wore them the slutty way, i'd probably still wear a no-show sock like the Falke Step variety.

I appreciate all the advice, going to see if the place has anything smaller on hand, might try the 7D for snug fit with less complete foot slip. Also, does the van last fit fairly the same in the LHS #8?

I wear 6.5D in barrie last.
For my recently purchased #8 tassels, I went with 6E. I could do 7D, but 6E gave me the best fit, it feels very snug at first, even with a little uncomfortable at the pinky toe (cant move the toe), but after a few wear at home to break in, it feels better.

BTW, The stock version tassels are in Aberdeen last, while LHS in Van last.

I did try LHS with various size, the best fitting I can get is also 6E, but it feels totally different from the tassels, the heel slippage is quite obvious. Although the SA at Alden SF assured me the slippage will minimize after the break in, I decided not to buy it and think Van last is not for me.

Hope this help.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, Sir.

The LHS fits differently IMO.

I'm 9D in Aberdeen and 9C in Van.

If you go #8 LHS, I recommend the Unlined BB version, especially if you are to go sockless.

neilz4

Reaction score
Greetings, gents. Just joined after reading through some of this post because I was curious about something:

I'm really interested in these Leffot Tankers in #8. The preorder is just about done and I was curious if any of you knew where I could find similar Tankers. Thanks a ton in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads