***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenewbie

thenewbie Member

Anybody have pictures of the Unionmade Stoneman chukka #8 out in the wild?

2. sazon

sazon Senior member

It used to be, if you want such and such shells, buy them today, for we know next year for certain the price will be 5-10% higher.

Now its, if you get lucky and happen to find them, get them immediately, for we don't know if such and such shoe will be available again in the next 12-24 months!

I had no intentions of buying any whiskey this year. But I slowly began to covet it, after having it grow on me a few years. When a few things luckily popped up in my size, I jumped on them knowing that I may get the chance for a loooong time.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I hope you don't go to a Japanese restaurant where they ask you to remove your shoes. :embar:

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I actually disagree about sizing down on those tassels if he intends to wear them sockless. Why? Because cordovan is very hot in spring / summer, and if he wears them sockless, his feet may sweat... Wearing very tight cordovan shoes will exacerbate that and could make his feet uncomfortable. I have a pair of Marlow cordovan tassels in 10.5d (a length too big) that is great for sockless wear as it lets air get into the shoe. I got that pair for cheap and use it exclusively as a sockless pair.

For shoes in suede, chromexcel or other calf, I don't follow this logic, but I do for cordovan. YMMV

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    i like your saddles

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

IMO I'd return them. It's been my experience that if loafers don't work
    out of the box they probably never will. I believe any home remedies would be a fruitless endeavor. File it under lesson learned and grab a pair that fit properly. Good Luck Sir!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Foot temperature aside, the shoes don't fit. Based on his pics, his foot will literally come out of the shoe when taking a stride. I'm not suggesting a shoe that is tight. I'm suggesting a shoe that simply fits.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Fair - I was just cautioning if he intended to wear them mostly sockless. Any shoe that fits with socks should feel looser without socks... The length seems long but I would hesitate sizing down a width...

9. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Ideally I'd wear them with thin socks for work, and if I wore them the slutty way, i'd probably still wear a no-show sock like the Falke Step variety.

I appreciate all the advice, going to see if the place has anything smaller on hand, might try the 7D for snug fit with less complete foot slip. Also, does the van last fit fairly the same in the LHS #8?

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I use Kiwi Neutral Wax on all my shell with no ill effects.

11. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

Thank you Uncle...

12. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I wear 6.5D in barrie last.
    For my recently purchased #8 tassels, I went with 6E. I could do 7D, but 6E gave me the best fit, it feels very snug at first, even with a little uncomfortable at the pinky toe (cant move the toe), but after a few wear at home to break in, it feels better.

BTW, The stock version tassels are in Aberdeen last, while LHS in Van last.

I did try LHS with various size, the best fitting I can get is also 6E, but it feels totally different from the tassels, the heel slippage is quite obvious. Although the SA at Alden SF assured me the slippage will minimize after the break in, I decided not to buy it and think Van last is not for me.

Hope this help.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

No, Sir.

The LHS fits differently IMO.

I'm 9D in Aberdeen and 9C in Van.

If you go #8 LHS, I recommend the Unlined BB version, especially if you are to go sockless.

14. neilz4

neilz4 Well-Known Member

Greetings, gents. Just joined after reading through some of this post because I was curious about something:

I'm really interested in these Leffot Tankers in #8. The preorder is just about done and I was curious if any of you knew where I could find similar Tankers. Thanks a ton in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.