• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not have experience with this but believe others on the thread have had B. Nelson do a re-sole and adjust the size of the shoe +/- .5.

While conceivably possible, it is gambling. B. Nelson is the best shoe repair shop in that they use lasts during resoling to maintain proper shape (rather than the flat piece of steel that most repair shops stick the shoe on), but they aren't the original lasts. There is a chance that the size could be adversely effected in unintended ways just like when you try to stretch a shoe.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^allow me to demonstrate...

Today, first day in #8 straight tip bluchers. my second stock shoe in the family...

I pretty much live in denim, but feel confident that this can be a dressier casual shoe and also cross over for more formal occasions. Part of me wants to follow the cigar route and do antique edge, welt (as the cigar shell version of this shoe has), but would wait a bit for that.

Looks pretty good here. I believe you also wear whiskey cap toe bals with denim?

hypomnema

Reaction score

Ravello LWVB's arrived from DC. Some serious creasing on the right shoe. Oh well. Don't think I can complain. Joe told me there was slight wear in the right shoe over the phone .. Fast delivery too.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the Leffot Naval Boot versus the J. Crew Alden Perforated Cap toe? I know Leffot has a color #8 version of the Naval Boot in the pipeline and I am deciding between the two.

The main difference that I see are speedhooks for the J. Crew and all eyelets for the Naval and the J. Crew has double stitching on the cap versus single stitching for the Naval.

I used to be against speedhooks until I got the Cigar cap toe boot from Alden DC. Now I do not really care. I think the double stitching on the J Crew looks a bit better.

If you don't really care about the speedhooks and like the perf design on the J Crew model, I'd go with it. I'm a big fan. The other issue is availability; you might have to go with whichever one you can get your hands on in your size.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Based on my experience I'd say that you have too much length in your shoes and this is likely responsible for the excessive creasing/wrinkling. Adding an insole and/or tongue pad may help with this but I'm not sure. I asked alden to resole a pair of indy boots that I had that were 10E to make them narrower 10D or 10C and their response to me was that they could not change the size of a shoe.
I have the same shoe in whiskey. It is on the Tremont last, and I have a good amount more creasing (similar to your pic) than I would like. I do not believe it is because of the shoe being too large, at least in my case. The length and width are perfect, but there is an area above my foot, an inch or so beyond where the shoelaces begin (not sure what this part of the shoe anatomy is called), throat or vamp... anyways, this region is roomy inside and may cause more creasing. I'm not sure a more narrow size would work for me though. I think the Tremont is just a less desirable last. Still love this particular shoe. I have learned to embrace the creasing as Shawnw suggested.
smile.gif

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Dear Internet,

Please cease presenting me with shell chukka's, my resistance is waning and i would really rather not stretch my credit.

Best Regards,

Me

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't really care about the speedhooks and like the perf design on the J Crew model, I'd go with it.  I'm a big fan.  The other issue is availability; you might have to go with whichever one you can get your  hands on in your size.
+1 on the J Crew boots. I'm also a big fan. When hunting for shell availability is a key factor when making a decision.

herrmj

Reaction score
Very happy unionmade resurrected the winn perry little tank in the hawes boot. My first crepe sole and it is very comfortable.
The reverse oiled chamois smells amazing out of the box, would kop that fragrance.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
quick question about the J Crew perf captoe boot, do you guys size the same as other Barrie boots or different? I thought I saw some discussion around this recently.

Hill

Reaction score
Very happy unionmade resurrected the winn perry little tank in the hawes boot. My first crepe sole and it is very comfortable.
The reverse oiled chamois smells amazing out of the box, would kop that fragrance.

Nice pickup. That boot is going to look so rad with age.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^allow me to demonstrate... Today, first day in #8 straight tip bluchers. my second stock shoe in the family... I pretty much live in denim, but feel confident that this can be a dressier casual shoe and also cross over for more formal occasions. Part of me wants to follow the cigar route and do antique edge, welt (as the cigar shell version of this shoe has), but would wait a bit for that.
You sir always have fantastic style.
Good day for some Ravello... Alden x Leather Soul Ravello SWBs, Barrie last
The #1 Shell Alden IMO.:slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics