***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGuy

MrGuy Active Member

Edit: dbl post please see below

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I love the Barrie personally but I dress much more casually than others on here. I find it fits me well and strikes a great balance between high end yet everyday wearability. I know some find it blobby, but I personally do not.

I have a pair of Plaza boots on order and am curious if I will love it or find it too sleek/dressy for my tastes. Keep in mind I never wear suits and am only in denim and khaki so my tastes differ from others.

3. MrGuy

MrGuy Active Member

I've been reading for quite a while, and have been itching for my first pair of Aldens. Given the wealth of pictures, and realistic availability, I was leaning towards #8 lwb. I found a local carrier who carries them. I went to try on a pair & verify fit. Having tried on the lwb Barrie... Holy huge shoe! The last seemed monstrous (aesthetically speaking). Did anyone else have a similar reaction, and subsequently end up falling in love?

Now, having expressed my thoughts to the SA, he produced a pair of swb Tremont last #8. They are virtually unworn, with very minimal creasing from being tried on numerous times. He is offering at $500 dueto said creasing. Seems too good a deal to pass up as the creasing wouldnt bother me in the slightest. Are the swb substantially less versatile? Ie, jeans, chinos etc?

Tried to find pics of casual #8 swb in the wild, without much results.

Sorry for the longwinded first post. Any help & guidance is greatly appreciated.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Pretty different shoes for various reasons, but a discount even to reflect a little wear is hard to pass up. Since you know your size in LWB, unless it is really very rare, you can pick that up later easily.

Now: do the SWB fit well? And do you really like them? Don't spend the money on a second choice just for the feeling of getting a deal.

Good luck and let us know what you pick
    Edit: for pics of a #8 SWB look for El Argentino's photos in this thread. I recall some fairly casual. It can certainly be done.

5. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

if anything the SWB is MORE versatile because it's a sleeker profile, easier to wear with suits. no less easy to wear with jeans.

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

7. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

[​IMG]

Here are my 974s in the wild with khakis and St. Patrick's Day argyles. I own no LWBs, and (heresy!) plan none in the future...

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Maybe the J Crew Cap Toe Barrie boots feel a bit tighter to most because they wear thicker socks with boots? Just a thought.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Nah, I had to sell two captoe models (color 8 from Alden SF and ravello from Unionmade) due to the narrower fit. The socks didn't make a difference

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Narrower than other Barrie shoes? Interesting indeed.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I am a 9.5E in Barrie but I can wear 10D in a lot of Barrie models (my whiskey chukkas are 10D for example). However the Barrie captoe boots in 10D were uncomfortably narrow.

People have reported the same issue with Tanker boots. My 9.5E tankers fit but do run a bit narrower in the toe than longwings and chukkas.

12. ReppTiePrepster

I respectfully disagree with the versatility argument. Because it is an oxford/balmoral, it looks as though it should be paired with more dressy attire; to me it's out of place with jeans, although the broguing makes it more doable. While it may have a more sleek profile, the tremont last has a big rounded toe which makes the shoe look more noticeably bulbus, which in my opinion negates the sleek profile.

On the other hand, I should explain that I very much like the slightly bulky look of the barrie last, and the bigger rounded looking toe of the tremont doesn't bother me a bit. I like the 974 (and my whiskey version), but I do not wear it with jeans. I do however, wear the LWB with dressier attire (some suits) and casual wear as well. Thus, the LWB is much more versatile imho.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Shortwing bluchers (like the Marlow and Leather Soul's models) are the most versatile of all. The "Atom" is pretty close as well

Though as Chorizo illustrates, balmorals can look outstanding with slim jeans

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Got my cadet shoes, will be returning as Barrie last is way too bulky for style, bummer though as I love black shell
    [​IMG]

15. ReppTiePrepster

Once the rain cleared, twas a fine day for my suede PTBs...
    [​IMG]
    Was wondering if anyone has both the tan suede PTBs and the Suede LWB? Not sure if it would be too similar or redundant to have both. The snuff suede LWB is seriously growing on me. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.