***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

I saw your 2nd pair on the Bay ... kudos on profiting from J. Crew's pricing error!

Of course, I'd be singing a different tune if you were unloading my size.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thank you for your response.

So you are saying that time heals all wounds?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

So I know the conventional wisdom if you are an E width desiring a special pair that only comes in D is to size up one half size. I'm wondering how successful this is for folks. I have a ridiculous wide foot, an 8E in Trubalance. I've been thinking about the snuff suede loafers for my next pair, but I'm really starting to like the natural CXL colorways too. I want to make sure the width will really be there without being too long to wear comfortably. I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with the standard offerings in E width. I love Aldens, but I'm not going to sit on a year long waiting list to wait for my size to come in.

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Is that unusual for the Tanker to be on Trubalance? Not my taste anyway, but I thought it was usually on Barrie or Aberdeen.

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Looks like they've got a Barrie Color 8 Indy boot. If I was looking for a shell Indy boot, that sounds like a one to get.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thanks, that certainly explains it.

7. Marshall W

Marshall W Active Member

I had an extra set of holes added.

[​IMG]

8. phototristan

I've been staring at them both for the last couple of hours. While they definitely have similarities, each has its own unique qualities that set them apart. Sorta like comparing a PTB to a chukka, similar, yet different.

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

In re Alden SF boot offerings: Tanker on Trubalance and Indy on Barrie, if I read properly. Seems distinctly possible that whoever updates the website isn't particularly familiar with Alden's. Maybe this is right. Buy it sure seems backwards. Fortunately I need neither.

10. phototristan

I agree although someone a couple of months ago here posted in no uncertain terms that they had Cigar Indy Boots on the Barrie at the SF Alden location, so maybe it's true.

11. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I could confirm the tanker boot at least.
    I just visited the SF store yesterday and bought the color 8 tanker, it is in tru balance last.
    Some people hate nst in tru balance last, I agree that they are wide and might look a little weird., But when I tried a pair on my feet, omg they are so comfy, much better than my whiskey tanker in barrie, and I coudln't resist.....

I got a pair stock tassels in color 8 as well, I tried both penny loafer and tassels, the fitting of loader is not so well, I tried several size and there was still heel slippage. However the tassels gave me different feel, just spot on.

Btw, they still got a couple of cigar lwb and cigar cap toe blucher good luck.

Again they claimed that they will not receive any rare color shell shortly (year wise).

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

thanks for the suggestion, but i already own the chukkas and would like to add some eyelets (also the AE website blows the Alden one out of the water)
    thank you! did you notice a difference in fit after that was done?

13. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Just posting to confirm that the Cordovan #8 Indy they offer is indeed on the Barrie last. The SA (Robert) definitively told me they were when I asked him and the 8.5 D I picked up fit just like the other 8.5 D Barrie boots I have. I also compared them pretty extensively to my other Barries to make sure and they are the same.

I have not tried on the tanker nor have I asked about it, so I can not shed any light on that particular make-up.

14. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Just out of curiosity, anyone owns both Alden's chukka and AE's Dundee? I'm interested in seeing how they compared side by side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.