• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall W

Reaction score
thank you! did you notice a difference in fit after that was done?

I found it to be a considerable improvement. I went from not liking the fit too much, to being my most comfortable pair of shoes.

OIx

Reaction score

Thanks.  They are dark tan calfskin from Alden of NY ([COLOR=000000]style #97641).  Both shoes are 9.5 E; the LWBs are a tad longer than the Trubalance 403s.  My right foot is slightly wider tan my left, which is why it has the widening contraption in it right now.  I also had to widen the right shoe of my 403s, but they now fit awesome and are extremely comfortable. [/COLOR]

I was looking for experience with stretching Alden calf shoes for a while.. not sure if this was discussed...

I've got Alden for Unionmade Officer shoes in brown - absolutely great casual shoes... unfortunately
1) they are maybe halfsize small overall - 6D on Leydon, whereas i've got also shell LWB 6D on Barrie which fit me perfectly (no heel slip whatosever, maybe just a bit big in toebox if worn with thin sock, but very snug with thick socks)
2) my right foot is bit bigger, and pinky finger is extremely painful

I'm a bit concerned about stretching - 1) would it be possible at all to widen up toebox of shoe which is 0.5 size smaller and 2) would not stretching ruin the toebox appearance ?

So - would you recommend to stretch ... or too high risk and better to sell them off ?

Here are they - just to remind about this beautiful calf makeup in the land of shell fans :) mid-brown on plain toe is very lively and beautiful in person and gets tons of compliments... love them so much

Arizor

Reaction score
Generally calf will stretch quite a lot, but if the pinky is *extremely painful*, then sell on whilst they're very new, you'll get pretty much what you paid for back, then buy half a size up and take it as lesson learned.

Beautiful shoes by the way.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I now have 2 Black Aldens, the BB PTB, and these. It's going to be hard deciding which one to wear. I like them both and the both have things that are unique about them. 

Congrats on the new acquisition. The cap toe blucher shoe is an interesting style that isn't often featured on this thread. I think in boot form it can work well casually with chinos or denim. I'm not sure that the same can be said of the shoe form, but perhaps that's because I haven't seen many examples?

mr chorizo

Reaction score
^^allow me to demonstrate...

Today, first day in #8 straight tip bluchers. my second stock shoe in the family...

I pretty much live in denim, but feel confident that this can be a dressier casual shoe and also cross over for more formal occasions. Part of me wants to follow the cigar route and do antique edge, welt (as the cigar shell version of this shoe has), but would wait a bit for that.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Hey gents. I have a question/need some advice. I love my shortwing balmorals, but feel like they look so bulbous and clunky, that it actually takes away from the appearance of the shoe.

I don't know if its my pair, but I feel like the cordovan is even more wrinkled than is I be expected. The construction here I feel is probably not typical of Alden, but I do really like these shoes a lot and want to figure out a way to solve this in the future.

Is it crazy to send these back for a resoling and ask that they use a size C last? I got these at Alden DC and I think that they are a tremont last or possibly even Barrie. Has anyone had this same problem?

Should I get a sole insert to push my foot higher in the shoe? I have a decent amount of room in the shoe left. I have used shoe trees for te entire life of the shoes, yet they still ended up like this.

Shiny

Reaction score
Mr. Chorizo,
Bluchers w/jeans. I don't see why not. Looks good!

stmaier

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the Leffot Naval Boot versus the J. Crew Alden Perforated Cap toe? I know Leffot has a color #8 version of the Naval Boot in the pipeline and I am deciding between the two.

The main difference that I see are speedhooks for the J. Crew and all eyelets for the Naval and the J. Crew has double stitching on the cap versus single stitching for the Naval.

I used to be against speedhooks until I got the Cigar cap toe boot from Alden DC. Now I do not really care. I think the double stitching on the J Crew looks a bit better.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

What is everyone's opinion on the Leffot Naval Boot versus the J. Crew Alden Perforated Cap toe?  I know Leffot has a color #8 version of the Naval Boot in the pipeline and I am deciding between the two. 

The main difference that I see are speedhooks for the J. Crew and all eyelets for the Naval and the J. Crew has double stitching on the cap versus single stitching for the Naval.

I used to be against speedhooks until I got the Cigar cap toe boot from Alden DC.  Now I do not really care.  I think the double stitching on the J Crew looks a bit better.

i thought leffot was just reordering the black naval boot...not going #8.

stmaier

Reaction score
i thought leffot was just reordering the black naval boot...not going #8.

They have an order for the #8 Naval Boot with Alden and are waiting for confirmation...once it is confirmed it will be put up for per-order

shaunw

Reaction score
Hey gents. I have a question/need some advice. I love my shortwing balmorals, but feel like they look so bulbous and clunky, that it actually takes away from the appearance of the shoe.

I don't know if its my pair, but I feel like the cordovan is even more wrinkled than is I be expected. The construction here I feel is probably not typical of Alden, but I do really like these shoes a lot and want to figure out a way to solve this in the future.

Is it crazy to send these back for a resoling and ask that they use a size C last? I got these at Alden DC and I think that they are a tremont last or possibly even Barrie. Has anyone had this same problem?

Should I get a sole insert to push my foot higher in the shoe? I have a decent amount of room in the shoe left. I have used shoe trees for te entire life of the shoes, yet they still ended up like this.
Based on my experience I'd say that you have too much length in your shoes and this is likely responsible for the excessive creasing/wrinkling. Adding an insole and/or tongue pad may help with this but I'm not sure. I asked alden to resole a pair of indy boots that I had that were 10E to make them narrower 10D or 10C and their response to me was that they could not change the size of a shoe.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Based on my experience I'd say that you have too much length in your shoes and this is likely responsible for the excessive creasing/wrinkling. Adding an insole and/or tongue pad may help with this but I'm not sure. I asked alden to resole a pair of indy boots that I had that were 10E to make them narrower 10D or 10C and their response to me was that they could not change the size of a shoe.

Ah, thanks for your reply. I was fitted by a store sales rep who said they were the right size, but I guess it's my fault for believing him. Any fixes in the short term?

shaunw

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for your reply. I was fitted by a store sales rep who said they were the right size, but I guess it's my fault for believing him. Any fixes in the short term?

You can try my approach which is to try to embrace the creasing
smile.gif

Hill

Reaction score

I do not have experience with this but believe others on the thread have had B. Nelson do a re-sole and adjust the size of the shoe +/- .5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads