• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeharo

Reaction score
I was at an Alden retailer this weekend and was told: in the coming months, Alden will not allow any web sales of its shoes. Apparently Alden has told retailers that they must remove Alden shoes from online shops. I was told this is due to the lack of shell available for production at the moment. I did not ask any questions, just listened. I would have asked: all Alden or just cordovan, how can they do that, why does it matter how retailers are selling the shoes? I can see that public sentiment would be lowered if no shoes are ever available (always being 'sold out' online); therefore, removing them from online shopping would not make the public think the company has a lack of production capacity or ability. Anyway, I am not verifying his statement as accurate, simply reporting what he told me. Anyone hear anything similar lately?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with Adam from AoC before. He was one of the least accommodating retailers I have dealt with. I chose to spend my money elsewhere. YMMV.

I tend to agree.

I once inquired about a pair of Alden's and he made this very clear to me in his email (quoting):

"Please note that these shoes are sold on an "exchange only" basis. The shoes may be exchanged as long as they are kept in perfectly new, "un-creased" condition, with no signs of try-on. (no creases in the shoes from bending the shoes, no creases in the shoes from walking in the shoes) No refunds or store credits.

If you have any questions please e-mail.

Adam, Alden of Carmel"

I decided to forego purchasing.

That said, I've also had a less than positive experience with Yenni at J Gilbert in Seattle, but at least she was a bit polite. This is what she emailed to me after I inquired about time-frame for a special makeup wait period:

"We do pre-orders daily. Some pre-orders can take 1-2 years to arrive. There
is no guarantee with delivery dates. If you feel uneasy about doing a
pre-order please don't feel obligated.

Thank you,

Yenni"

In other words, sorta like 'don't order from us if you don't like it.'. She had a point though. I wasn't willing to wait 1-2 years for a MTO shoe. Some may be.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was at an Alden retailer this weekend and was told: in the coming months, Alden will not allow any web sales of its shoes. Apparently Alden has told retailers that they must remove Alden shoes from online shops. I was told this is due to the lack of shell available for production at the moment. I did not ask any questions, just listened. I would have asked: all Alden or just cordovan, how can they do that, why does it matter how retailers are selling the shoes? I can see that public sentiment would be lowered if no shoes are ever available (always being 'sold out' online); therefore, removing them from online shopping would not make the public think the company has a lack of production capacity or ability. Anyway, I am not verifying his statement as accurate, simply reporting what he told me. Anyone hear anything similar lately?

If this is true, I may move away from Alden altogether. Their policies for American consumers are ludicrously stringent as-is. First MTO died. Then their production times tripled (if not more at this point).

Oh well.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(dbl)

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah **** Alden. their shoes are mediocre at best.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If this is true, I may move away from Alden altogether. Their policies for American consumers are ludicrously stringent as-is. First MTO died. Then their production times tripled (if not more at this point).

Oh well.

I'll ask around with some retailers to double check this...

At the end of the day, it's supply and demand. I heard that one retailer had 5,000 Alden pairs on preorder. Preorders all sell out when offered. eBay prices continue to go up. Until another supplier makes comparable cordovan, suede and CXL models in comparable scale, Alden will do whatever it wants. If you want Alden shoes the best bet is to get in good with several retailers.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the "no signs of try on." OK, no problem, Adam - I'll just eyeball the shoes to see if they fit properly or not. :uhoh:

On the one hand, this policy puzzles me as I have observed many brick and mortar retailers offering shoes for try on without question. They don't seem to have an issue with it

On the other hand, from reading this thread it is clear that many buyers despise any sign of creasing, so I understand why AoC wants to cover themselves

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll ask around with some retailers to double check this...

At the end of the day, it's supply and demand. I heard that one retailer had 5,000 Alden pairs on preorder. Preorders all sell out when offered. eBay prices continue to go up. Until another supplier makes comparable cordovan, suede and CXL models in comparable scale, Alden will do whatever it wants. If you want Alden shoes the best bet is to get in good with several retailers.

I always wondered about the Alden/J. Crew relationship. J. Crew needed Alden way more than Alden needed J. Crew. Alden was already selling virtually every shoe they made.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems I might have to speed up the last couple pairs I'd like to get..

any horror stories ordering from fransboone, shipping into the states? they have a couple pair that I've been eyeballin

spicycho

Reaction score
I had no problems dealing with AoC, Adam was communicative and helpful when I got some AF89's. Admittedly I ordered the right size in the first place, hadn't tried the Leydon last but that makeup with the commando sole was what I was after, and they're the only ones who offer it.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

Oh well.

I showed my wife this and she begin to openly cry. I looked at her and said its okay and she goes this is tears of joy.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always wondered about the Alden/J. Crew relationship. J. Crew needed Alden way more than Alden needed J. Crew. Alden was already selling virtually every shoe they made.

I don't know this for sure but I would guess retailers like Leffot and Leather Soul sell more Alden's than J Crew. Also, J Crew focuses on selling models that aren't that rare or that have ample raw material available. It's not like J Crew is hoarding whiskey, cigar, or ravello models. J Crew has fewer stores overall than you think and their men's business is very small compared to the women's business.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems I might have to speed up the last couple pairs I'd like to get..

any horror stories ordering from fransboone, shipping into the states? they have a couple pair that I've been eyeballin

Yes, some have reported having to pay upwards of $50. in import taxes upon delivery to the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads