• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are awesome! As someone who doesn't always think that the creases in shell are a positive (sometimes, just not always) I think this is the best way to do a saddle. The luster of shell on the non-creasing part, and suede or calf on the rest.

My personal preference for saddles is for shell on the toe of the shoe with suede on the non-creasing part. But those are certainly nice saddles.

It really comes down to whether you primarlily want a shell shoe or a suede shoe.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on the AE Brushes. This may be a bit overkill, but I like to have two brushes for each color shell. I like to have one that is stiffer for removal of dust and dirt, and then one brush that is softer for polishing before using my cloth. I have also found the AE polishing cloths work well for the final part of the method.

Not overkill IMO.

Brushes - at least one for each color shell; one for each color calf.
Cloths - if reused, always make sure it is being used on the same color previously used; throw away (do not wash) once soiled

I generally go with Alden cloths and AE brushes.

To all: have a great weekend.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet Brixton Natty CXL's for this pending Blizzard day in New England

Great looking boots. I really like the tightly packed perforations in the medallion on the toes, the way it doesn't really wrap down the sides of the toe area. I think It gives it a unique look that you don't see very often in most wingtips.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I scored bigtime today at our local Alden store in Dusseldorf, Germany. A nice pair of Indy Boots, marked down at 399,- Euro. That'll be about 540,- USD, not extraordinary for you living in the states, but in Germany... WOW!! Had to size down one full size, same as RW GTs. They were very comfy right off the box, unlike GTs. I hope they last on me as long as my trusty GTs... I plan on not stressing these too much, keep them broken in nicely, but do not abuse them. For example, I might not want to wear these at rock festivals ;-) Next question: care products for these boots? My regular care routine would be to give them an initial boot oil treatment and after that (tomorrow, when the oil is soaked in completely) some leather protection like obenauf. Is this a good thing to do with these boots? I'm really happy now...
Congratulations. It is always nice to find a pair of Aldens at a good price. Which model number are they? Treatment process sounds fine. I usually just use a protector on something like an Indy boot (I use Montana Pitch Blend, which I think is a lot like Obenauf. I'd put that on after a few wears. But going with your regular process is probably a good idea. Wear them and enjoy. :)
Epaulet Brixton Natty CXL's for this pending Blizzard day in New England
Consistently great photos, and these are fine looking boots.

gastarbeider

Reaction score

[COLOR=C0C0C0]I scored bigtime today at our local Alden store in Dusseldorf, Germany.

A nice pair of Indy Boots, marked down at 399,- Euro. That'll be about 540,- USD, not extraordinary for you living in the states, but in Germany... WOW!!
[/COLOR]
Had to size down one full size, same as RW GTs. They were very comfy right off the box, unlike GTs. I hope they last on me as long as my trusty GTs...
[COLOR=C0C0C0]
I plan on not stressing these too much, keep them broken in nicely, but do not abuse them. For example, I might not want to wear these at rock festivals ;-)

Next question: care products for these boots?

My regular care routine would be to give them an initial boot oil treatment and after that (tomorrow, when the oil is soaked in completely) some leather protection like obenauf.

Is this a good thing to do with these boots?

I'm really happy now...[/COLOR]

also went a full size down with my indys, unlike the half size down that i went with my GT's (which are OK but need an insert to keep them from feeling huge).

Andreas1965

Reaction score
Congratulations. It is always nice to find a pair of Aldens at a good price. Which model number are they? Treatment process sounds fine. I usually just use a protector on something like an Indy boot (I use Montana Pitch Blend, which I think is a lot like Obenauf. I'd put that on after a few wears. But going with your regular process is probably a good idea. Wear them and enjoy.
smile.gif
Yes, finding a pair of discounted Aldens is nearly impossible in Germany. I tried to find Indys in Florida last chistmas... no luck. Could have bought dress shoes, but I hardly ever wear a dress, so that would have been a waste of money.

Last time I was in New York (fall 2012) I had to take care of my dad, who was a first time visitor to NY. If I had told him I'll go hunting for some shoes, he might have been very disappointed ;-)

So, although having spend much more money on them as necessary (I'll be in LA this summer), I'm very satisfied now.

The model number is 405.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads