• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt2gt

Reaction score

AE brushes are junk, IMO. Check these guys out. Awesome brushes at a fantastic price...

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe_Brushes_s/24.htm

So far...I kind of have to agree. Bought an AE brush and everytime I use it it leaves a film on my cordovan no shine at all. I have to then wipe the shoe with a cloth to get the shine back. My Star brush leaves a much better shine with no wiping or anything after....just brush and go. Not sure why the AE does this.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE brushes are junk, IMO. Check these guys out. Awesome brushes at a fantastic price...

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe_Brushes_s/24.htm

I have probably 60% AE brushes and 40% bought thru the above website (the "executive" brushes). I have found the quality to be comparable. The folks at shoecaresupplies are very nice to deal with. Their shine cloths are decent too.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, finding a pair of discounted Aldens is nearly impossible in Germany. I tried to find Indys in Florida last chistmas... no luck. Could have bought dress shoes, but I hardly ever wear a dress, so that would have been a waste of money.

Last time I was in New York (fall 2012) I had to take care of my dad, who was a first time visitor to NY. If I had told him I'll go hunting for some shoes, he might have been very disappointed ;-)

So, although having spend much more money on them as necessary (I'll be in LA this summer), I'm very satisfied now.

The model number is 405.

That's a good thing. There are other threads for such activities. :lol:

REguy

Reaction score

What do you like better about these brushes over the AE?

What I hate the most about them is their small size. I also don't like how coarse they are. Do you get the same results with either one, sure. For my money, the larger ones are just a much nicer brush.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet Brixton Natty CXL's for this pending Blizzard day in New England

Very nice! But then, I'm a sucker for natty CXL; just love it, creases and all. Yours have developed a nice patina.

I had ignored those Brixtons because I think I have too many WT boots already but I may change my mind as I don't have any WT boots in natty CXL. Darn you.

For all of you in the northeast, take care in this storm.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I hate the most about them is their small size. I also don't like how coarse they are. Do you get the same results with either one, sure. For my money, the larger ones are just a much nicer brush.

I believe AE sells two sizes. I like the smaller coarse brush for my initial dust/dirt removal. After that, I use the larger soft brush and then the cloth. We all have our rituals. :)

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So far...I kind of have to agree. Bought an AE brush and everytime I use it it leaves a film on my cordovan no shine at all. I have to then wipe the shoe with a cloth to get the shine back. My Star brush leaves a much better shine with no wiping or anything after....just brush and go. Not sure why the AE does this.

Perhaps this is to be expected, and the reason why the final step of the Mac Method is buffing?

Last edited:

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
I know I won't get much sympathy here but needed to vent. I have a modest shell collection, but of the 5 pairs I own I've had issues now with 4. Yesterday I scuffed my cigar plain toes. Not a big deal, I know that's going to happen. Today I woke up and began working on them, but after using a deer bone (lightly) and brushing, a second area which resembled the scuff appeared. See pictures below. The scuff on the left was caused by wearing and the circular one on the right from caring for the shoes.

I know that shell is thought of as a tough leather and I would never deny its aesthetic appeal, but I have found it to be anything but resilient. And I should say that I have been firmly planted on the side that babies shell, despite its reputation for being a tough material. The only pair with which I have not had an issue is a color 8 LWB floor model from 2002 that I picked up last year. I love that shoe. The leather feels thicker than my other shells and has never had any issues. I'm not holding Alden solely responsible for Horween's material, which may or may not have been better several years ago. But I do hold Alden responsible for the quality and longevity of their product.

I'm also about to send back a pair of kudu boots which now have speed hooks that have rotated and trim stitching that has come undone. At best I can accept this as natural wear, even though I've owned them for less than a year and only wear then 2-3 times per month. Still, my Wolverine Addisons have never had any issues and have had at least 5 times the wear. Definitely not as comfortable as my Aldens but at I'm not dealing with customer service on a boot that's half the price.

Anyway, it currently looks like my shell run is over unless Alden steps up on the cigar plain toes and can somehow fix them. I feel my expectations for quality are aligned with the price of these shoes. I may try a another pair of non shell in the future but for now it looks like there's more shell for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads