• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start WWIII, but I think that a lot of the versatility of #8 is that it can be pulled off in more formal situations, like a #8 Cap Toe Bal with a suit, and just as easily in a casual situation like a #8 LHS. (Black as a color is typically formal, but admittedly not always)

Also, you can wear #8 with a blue or charcoal suit. Brown you can't wear with charcoal or black (in my opinion) and black you can't wear with blue (just my position, I know that blue suit with black shoes is considered to be the most formal, but I think it looks like a train conductor, mail man, police man).

I can't bring myself to wear #8 if I'm wearing red or pink. Even if its just a red or pink tie. Doesn't look right to my eye. I know that there are many that wear #8 with red pants, but my taste won't allow it.

I like the way #8 works with blue, green and charcoal, but probably couldn't wear it with red, pink, yellow, or orange. (or purple but I don't wear purple anyway) I've worn it with brown corduroys and like it just fine, but not sure how it would look with a dark brown or light tan.

As far as being versatile in the sense that it matches a lot of colors, I like cigar best.

In summary:

-Works in both formal in casual. (black is mostly formal, brown is mostly casual)

-Can be worn with Charcoal or blue suit. (Can't wear brown with charcoal, can't wear black with blue)

-Doesn't go with every color (Dark brown or black more versatile in that sense)

I just don't think you can say "#8 matches everything", in the way that some people say "Black matches everything" or "jeans go with anything"

Just one guys opinion, not meant to be taken as gospel. Please nobody get upset, I know that many disagree with my position.

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cigar shoes that he is selling.
the "coveted makeups" you were referring to are the ravello SWBs. i was asking about the cigar ptbs, which he says are at an "unreal price." if you happen to know where i can get cigar PTBs at an unreal price, i'd love to know.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not trying to start WWIII, but I think that a lot of the versatility of #8 is that it can be pulled off in more formal situations, like a #8 Cap Toe Bal with a suit, and just as easily in a casual situation like a #8 LHS.  (Black as a color is typically formal, but admittedly not always)

Also, you can wear #8 with a blue or charcoal suit.  Brown you can't wear with charcoal or black (in my opinion) and black you can't wear with blue (just my position, I know that blue suit with black shoes is considered to be the most formal, but I think it looks like a train conductor, mail man, police man).

I can't bring myself to wear #8 if I'm wearing red or pink.  Even if its just a red or pink tie.  Doesn't look right to my eye.  I know that there are many that wear #8 with red pants, but my taste won't allow it.

I like the way #8 works with blue, green and charcoal, but probably couldn't wear it with red, pink, yellow, or orange. (or purple but I don't wear purple anyway)  I've worn it with brown corduroys and like it just fine, but not sure how it would look with a dark brown or light tan.

As far as being versatile in the sense that it matches a lot of colors, I like cigar best.

In summary:

-Works in both formal in casual.  (black is mostly formal, brown is mostly casual)

-Can be worn with Charcoal or blue suit.  (Can't wear brown with charcoal, can't wear black with blue)

-Doesn't go with every color (Dark brown or black more versatile in that sense)

I just don't think you can say "#8 matches everything", in the way that some people say "Black matches everything" or "jeans go with anything"

Just one guys opinion, not meant to be taken as gospel.  Please nobody get upset, I know that many disagree with my position.

An interesting read, even if I disagree with a good portion of it. :D

And while I do find color 8 the most versatile, I do not think it goes with everything (as some contend).

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if my jcrew #8 captoe didnt show up today I'd be all over those pitt boots. alas I'm down with #8 for a bit

OfficeLinebacke

Reaction score
An interesting read, even if I disagree with a good portion of it.
biggrin.gif

And while I do find color 8 the most versatile, I do not think it goes with everything (as some contend).
But doesn't black go with everything, or at least more than dark brown?

Aside from the aforementioned blue suit, what does black not go with?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting around in a Friday night watching a recent episode of NCIS and Mark Harmon's charachter appears to be wearing a pair of black Indy boots.

Maybe it's a sign that I've been paying too much attention to shoes and boots when I can pick that out in a 1 second clip…

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the "coveted makeups" you were referring to are the ravello SWBs.  i was asking about the cigar ptbs, which he says are at an "unreal price."  if you happen to know where i can get cigar PTBs at an unreal price, i'd love to know.

Check the previous page of this thread - trunks206 was selling a pair of Cigar PTB along with a pair of Ravello SWB and Day Trippers

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do these J Crew indy boots stretch any? feeling tight on the top of my foot near the first lace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads