• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you order from Frans Boone?
I just ordered from Frans Boone and don't want to get hit with this fee. I already paid a conversion fee for foreign transaction a total of over a $100 premium..:angry: Whatshould we suggest to Frans? Frank I just copied your post and email him.

If your shoes haven't shipped already make sure the mark the package very clearly as USA MADE GOODS. Hopefully that will help.

IRONHORSE

Reaction score
The premium are fees associated with the purchase like shipping, conversion fees and maybe this custom and brokerage fee. I was just rounding up the figure. I will definitely tell Frans about before my shoes get shipped out.

I guess lessons learned about ordering an american product overseas...I wont do this again in the future, on a good note Frans is awesome to deal with. I have been Shelled!!!!:hide:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry for bad photos but trying to show the cracking between the welt and sole. Seems to happen on each pair of my Aldens. Anyone else experience this? Is this a defect and can it be fixed? (I know . . . . shoes need the method).

That happened to my Natural Chromexcel Wingtip Boots and Mike of Epaulet helped me send them back to Alden, where they resoled for free. Apparently, Alden must have considered them a defect. It happened to mine after 5 months of ownership. Probably 10 - 15 wears.

Briar Snob

Reaction score
Yes, the $6.50 is a fee, then duty was $61 or 8.5%. As far as I can tell this is an error, though understandable since the package wasn't properly marked. It is a little bit of a pain though, and I can understand why you would hesitate. Note that DHL has not charged fees, just UPS.

As I'm reading the discussion about order from Frans in Europe given the customs/duty fees, I'm wondering if anyone has experience ordering from The Bureau, and whether this was an issue there too?

Thanks,

Andrew

mikeharo

Reaction score
That happened to a pair of Rancourt penny loafers I have. I was not happy about it but my cobbler did a phenomenal job with a resole so we'll see.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
As I'm reading the discussion about order from Frans in Europe given the customs/duty fees, I'm wondering if anyone has experience ordering from The Bureau, and whether this was an issue there too?

Thanks,

Andrew

I've ordered from The Bureau as well but didn't have to pay a customs or brokerage fee. I believe they shipped DHL but can't remember.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I've received 2 orders from Carmina (both DHL) and no customs. Hate to beat a dead horse but this customs ish is holding me back from getting those boots from FRANS BOOOOONE!

IRONHORSE

Reaction score

^ I've received 2 orders from Carmina (both DHL) and no customs. Hate to beat a dead horse but this customs ish is holding me back from getting those boots from FRANS BOOOOONE!

Namor dont hold back some of there make up are awesome and they have some ready for fall delivery, to me it was worth the extra fee..

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

If you're referring to the color 8 boots, those are pure sex. I was on the fence between those and the cigar longwings. Frans Boone's makeups make other retailers look stodgy.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the $6.50 is a fee, then duty was $61 or 8.5%. As far as I can tell this is an error, though understandable since the package wasn't properly marked. It is a little bit of a pain though, and I can understand why you would hesitate. Note that DHL has not charged fees, just UPS.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ordered about 5 or 6 times from the Bureau.
They shipped FedEx. Never paid brokerage or duty.
I think their shipping includes customs clearance.
Shipments have been Trickers.

Dino19

Reaction score
On the Fran Boone makeup, what do you guys think about the cigar shell PTB on a crepe sole? I like the cigar but I'm holding back because of the crepe sole. I would prefer a leather sole because it'll be more durable & lasting, I think. Any comment / advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads