• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chien

Reaction score
need some help on sizing,
if im a 8D in barrie last,
what size will i be in the grant and plaza last?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

"High boots" and chukka boots
Whiskey
Chukka (Alden Madison) and Indy Boot (Alden DC - I will likely keep this boot now)

Chromexcel
Chukka and Jumper Boot (both from Leather Soul)
(Great for looking sharp in wet weather with no worries)

Cigar
Chukka (Alden Madison) and Captoe Boot (Alden DC)
(Low lighting as I took these a few minutes ago, but the chukka is lighter than the captoe despite it being newer, cigar is ligher in recent months. The captoe still may be my favorite Alden though, it is certainly my favorite boot)

The cigar captoe boot is highly versatile despite it being on a commando sole (wore it with flannels a few times in the winter). I will imagine the captoe chromexcel will be a bit more versatile than I expect as well. The Indy shape is more of a true work boot.
Now I can be patient and wait for the right ravello or color 8 makeup to pop up... Almost done with Alden boots (I also have an calfskin Indy on commando soles for foul weather / muddy tailgates / etc)

nephew,
nice collection

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate to quote myself so much but I wanted to complete the set. Last but certainly not least: cigars in the morning
c6e4c99b-bd3c-94a0.jpg

a good day for cigar

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vg5wrt.jpg

cigar nst
argyles otc
140gsqc.jpg

mr chorizo

Reaction score

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been a huge fan of slip-ons, but I recently acquired a new, first quality shell LHS. I bought a 9D in the Van last, which is my normal size in the Barrie (TTS is 9.5D). I would appreciate hearing from the slip-on guys out there in regards to sizing, heel slippage (none?; first few wears?, numerous wears?), general break-in time, etc. Thanks gents. :D

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't been a huge fan of slip-ons, but I recently acquired a new, first quality shell LHS. I bought a 9D in the Van last, which is my normal size in the Barrie (TTS is 9.5D). I would appreciate hearing from the slip-on guys out there in regards to sizing, heel slippage (none?; first few wears?, numerous wears?), general break-in time, etc. Thanks gents. :D

I have a flat wide foot and found that the LHS (van last) worked awesome for me. The fit across the vamp was no issue.I wend with my barrie size (11.5D). It's a little more snug across the board compared to the barrie, but his helps when going sockless.

My #8 Shell LHS didn't take too long to break in and feel like slippers. However i did make the mistake of wearing them sockless on one of my first outings and ended up with a few blisters from heel slippage.

But now that I have work them for almost a year they are one of my favourite pairs...by far.

black BB unlined will be my next LHS

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a flat wide foot and found that the LHS (van last) worked awesome for me. The fit across the vamp was no issue.I wend with my barrie size (11.5D). It's a little more snug across the board compared to the barrie, but his helps when going sockless.
My #8 Shell LHS didn't take too long to break in and feel like slippers. However i did make the mistake of wearing them sockless on one of my first outings and ended up with a few blisters from heel slippage.
But now that I have work them for almost a year they are one of my favourite pairs...by far.

thanks

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I have a wide foot but a high instep, so the vamp kills me on the cordovan LHS. Does anyone find the vamp getting more comfortable over time? I have the unlined LHS in suede, the vamp was very tight on it as well, and I had some pain at first, but now the vamp is loosening up a bit (I wear it sockless).

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics