1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

If anyone has any leads, I am looking for a pair of Wingtip boots in shell cordovan, 8.5D barrie last (or 9D in any other last).
    i can also trade a pair of these that I have new in box from Epaulet in 8D barrie last.

thanks!

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

No, they are not made of cordovan. Leather soles come from the "bend" of a cow, which is part of the back. The sole bend runs along the length of the cow's back from head to tail. The sole has the be the hardest, longest lasting part of the shoe, so it is rolled very dense to compress the fibers. It is oak bark tanned, which is the hardiest method of tanning for leather to make it optimum for use in shoe soles because it has the best combination of hardness for durability while remaining bendable for walking purposes. Bends come in varying degrees of thickness and quality, so there will be variance between companies. JR Redenbach is considered the best by many, but not all.

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Uncle, I likewise am not being argumentative. Plus, who am I to argue with someone who has your collection of shoes/boots? However, if your analogy is equating Honda = calf and Bentley = shell, then we will likely have to agree to disagree. I own a number of shell boots whilst also owning a number of calf (and CXL) boots. And I love them all. I also enjoyed the recent discussion of shell vs calf. I appreciate the unique individual attributes of both shell and calf. And I certainly don't feel like I'm going from a Bentley to a Honda when I switch out a pair of my shell boots for a pair of my calf boots.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. digga

digga Senior member

I mentioned this before, but it quickly got lost... Hunt club clothiers in downtown cincinnati has 20% off Alden's through tomorrow. They quoted me $500 plus tax for a pair of 990s, a good deal, i think. They are listed on aldenshoe.com and I bet they would ship to you if you call them. I bought my pair elsewhere, but might have them order me another pair or a LWB tomorrow.

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Does anyone know the extent of their inventory? Black and #8 for shell, I assume?

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

It is my understanding that Alden uses JR soles with their shell models when new.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. digga

digga Senior member

They only sell stuff from the stock catalog. They have calf business dress stuff in stock, but can order the others.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

$500 is a great deal, particularly in light of the price increase.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

#8 wt or black wt are staples and they can found at shoemart, alden-dc or alden-sf. you can have them in two weeks

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

#8 nst

12. digga

digga Senior member

Does Alden DC have a website or is it a phone only affair? I am interested in these boots. Is this something they normally stock?

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    from my experience i would go with your plaza size

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good and please do not jump into the pool

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you,
    you will enjoy wearing your wt

16. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Thanks Renton. I also wear Allen Edmonds last #8 in 8.5 EEE, and LL Bean boots in 8.5 Wide, guess I'm between sizes, hence my hesitation. I am not going to wear them with thick socks though -- New York City winters are not cold enough -- so I guess I'll just go with my normal size.

17. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Mr. Mac,I know that you have the #8 nst . Are they on the plaza? Thanks

18. jvc44

jvc44 Senior member

Mr. Mac,I know that you have the #8 nst . Are they on the plaza? Thanks

19. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Black shell LWBs:
    [​IMG]