• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been a huge fan of slip-ons, but I recently acquired a new, first quality shell LHS. I bought a 9D in the Van last, which is my normal size in the Barrie (TTS is 9.5D). I would appreciate hearing from the slip-on guys out there in regards to sizing, heel slippage (none?; first few wears?, numerous wears?), general break-in time, etc. Thanks gents.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I have a wide foot but a high instep, so the vamp kills me on the cordovan LHS. Does anyone find the vamp getting more comfortable over time? I have the unlined LHS in suede, the vamp was very tight on it as well, and I had some pain at first, but now the vamp is loosening up a bit (I wear it sockless).
I have 2 pairs lined, 1 pair BB unlined. The BB fit TTS and the lined Alden versions I went down 1 half size and 1 width. (9.5D TTS - 9C Van) It seems counter intuitive that the unlined version would be smaller, however, I suspect BB may have changed their sizing scale so that people can just buy their TTS. Maybe they were getting a lot of exchanges. Just a theory. I find most BB products fit TTS.

The unlined version didn't take long to break in at all (and is much more comfortable), but the lined versions did. Like 25 wears before the heel slipping went away. It was very irritating. They were a little tight across the vamp at first, but are fine now. Not sure if its because one of the threads broke. I have posted about all this before.

In fact, the right shoe still does slip a little. Maybe its due to inconsistencies in their production. My other pair of 9C LHS fits much snugger. One pair is flirting with too small, while the other is flirting with too big and they are the same size.

Hope that i have been of some assistance.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 2 pairs lined, 1 pair BB unlined.  The BB fit TTS and the lined Alden versions I went down 1 half size and 1 width. (9.5D TTS - 9C Van)  It seems counter intuitive that the unlined version would be smaller, however, I suspect BB may have changed their sizing scale so that people can just buy their TTS.  Maybe they were getting a lot of exchanges.  Just a theory.  I find most BB products fit TTS.

The unlined version didn't take long to break in at all (and is much more comfortable), but the lined versions did.  Like 25 wears before the heel slipping went away.  It was very irritating.  They were a little tight across the vamp at first, but are fine now.  Not sure if its because one of the threads broke.  I have posted about all this before.

In fact, the right shoe still does slip a little.  Maybe its due to inconsistencies in their production.  My other pair of 9C LHS fits much snugger.  One pair is flirting with too small, while the other is flirting with too big and they are the same size.

Hope that i have been of some assistance.

thanks

Olifter

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the Barrie last. I have Aldens built on the Hampton and Tremont lasts, all 10 D. There is a new shell LWB #8, size 10 D on eBay for $550. I am thinking about them but not sure I want to buy them this way due to the fit. Knave never tried on a shoe built on this last, supposedly a 1/2 sixe off. Would they be too big?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was trying to determine my proper size, the guy at Alden SF said that if my heel is slipping all the way out, it's probably too big. If it slips, but not all the way out, I probably just need to break them in. They suggested first sizing down a half size, and then down 1 width if it's still too big.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the Barrie last. I have Aldens built on the Hampton and Tremont lasts, all 10 D. There is a new shell LWB #8, size 10 D on eBay for $550. I am thinking about them but not sure I want to buy them this way due to the fit. Knave never tried on a shoe built on this last, supposedly a 1/2 sixe off. Would they be too big?

Most Likely, almost definitely. Usually too much volume in the heel.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the AF53s, though I haven't broken them in yet. These are two very different shapes/looks. AF53 is more of a classic, rugged work boot style, in my opinion. The other seems like it would be sleeker and a little more contemporary (for Alden, that is). I don't have any personal experience with the plaza last thought.

Otherwise, two great pairs of boots to choose between. I don't think you can really go wrong, so long each suits your feet.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might work; might not work. If the ebay seller has a no return policy, don't do it. Rather, spend another $95 and get a new pair from - just to name a few - Alden Shop of San Francisco or The Shoemart. If you are unable to go to a brick and mortar store, order sizes 9.5D and 10D, and send back the one that doesn't fit. A 9.5D/10D LWB in color 8 should be readily available. Good luck.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As another post suggested, these are really two totally different boots, on two totally different lasts. The boot on the Plaza last is much sleeker - but that may or may not be what you are going for.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads