• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive had this exact thing happen to 3 pairs of Alden boots I've had. First was a pair of indys. The shop I purchased them from tried to fix them (poorly) so they ended up being returned. The second time it happened was on a pair of #8 tankers. Alden repaired them free of charge. This past fall I purchased a pair of #8 captoe boots from j crew and it happened again (after wearing them less than 10x) They offered to repair them, but I just ended up returning them instead. I have very low confidence in their boots at this point.
Has this happened with anyone else's Indy's (or any other boots for that matter)?

Basically the upper is separating from the welt/sole of the shoe (the white you see is I assume the thread holding them all together. Just noticed this today, with nothing notable happening to cause this. Really starting to lose faith in the quality of Aldens as these boots are less than a year old. I get it the demand makes the QC go down or something like that but this should not be happening on a $450 dollar boot regardless of the reasoning. I mean hell this doesn't even happen on $100 boots. I'm starting to really question whether Aldens are worth the trouble. So far I've had speed hooks tearing out of $650 Cordovan boots, ugly wrinkles on $460 chukkas, and now this. Pretty disappointing.

Anyone else have experience with this? Is it an easy fix at a shoe repair?

Thanks in advance.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
advan031, beautiful pics. them boots may set a record for the most "quoted" post

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are definitely lighter than my ravello tassels (which are more "true" ravello with deeper red/brown tones) but still darker and "redder" than my two whiskey models. Also, various lighting change how these shoes look significantly

nephew,
i agree with your conclusion. you only see the true color in natural light

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It has arrived and it's beautiful:) Dealing with Alden of DC and Kathy is a pleasure and they've sent an extra pair of laces.

good looking, enjoy wearing

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmmm upon further inspection the cap toe on the left boot is a tad bit lighter compared to the right. Not sure how much this bother me yet. How does urs look?

the beauty of the exotic colors-they very rarely match. conclusion-enjoy wearing

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
advan031, your boots will look great after months of wear:

(i just used some saphir reno and some alden brown paste wax on them)

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick cross post. I started a Hellbrand Leatherworks Appreciation thread. I wanted a belt to go with my Kudu Ultimate Indy boots, but I couldn't find what I wanted. Hellbrand made me a custom CXL belt at a reasonable price. It arrived today, and I ordered another one to match my LSxSE natural CXL conservation boots. The customer service is excellent.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/296915/hellbrand-leatherworks-appreciation-thread

advan031

Reaction score
good advice Mac! I'll be keeping them.

Great looking boots Alcibiades!

ambivalence

Reaction score
really want a cigarcaptoe boots.. isit possible to email alden DC and ask them to ship over internationally?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if they wont ship to you, i can proxy it for you (for a small fee :))

i live a 3 minute walk away from that store and know the SAs fairly well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads