• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Has this happened with anyone else's Indy's (or any other boots for that matter)?  
Basically the upper is separating from the welt/sole of the shoe (the white you see is I assume the thread holding them all together.  Just noticed this today, with nothing notable happening to cause this.  Really starting to lose faith in the quality of Aldens as these boots are less than a year old.  I get it the demand makes the QC go down or something like that but this should not be happening on a $450 dollar boot regardless of the reasoning.  I mean hell this doesn't even happen on $100 boots.  I'm starting to really question whether Aldens are worth the trouble.  So far I've had speed hooks tearing out of $650 Cordovan boots, ugly wrinkles on $460 chukkas, and now this.  Pretty disappointing.

Anyone else have experience with this?  Is it an easy fix at a shoe repair?  

Thanks in advance. 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294432/alden-or-non-alden-indy-boots#post_5330655

dukerules

Reaction score
I chalk it up to gaining some firsthand experience of the charm of the Barrie last
smile.gif

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pre-owned pair of Alden 9501 Natural Chromexel Oxfords.

Can someone tell me a good polish or creme for these, hoping to grab
something locally and not order Alden, etc...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by that picture, I'd say they are shoes.

Great! Thanks for the help!

Seriously, these are thrifted and not in my size, so I'm trying to get a bit of info on them for selling/trading purposes. Here's what Alden people have said:

Quote:

Has anybody ever seen these?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, I would bet Whiskey if you did not say they are Ravello!

These are definitely lighter than my ravello tassels (which are more "true" ravello with deeper red/brown tones) but still darker and "redder" than my two whiskey models. Also, various lighting change how these shoes look significantly

terradilavoro

Reaction score

Picked up a pre-owned pair of Alden 9501 Natural Chromexel Oxfords.
Can someone tell me a good polish or creme for these, hoping to grab
something locally and not order Alden, etc...

I do use Neatsfoot Oil - recommended by Nick Horween also - have a look http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel®-2/
The last step for Chromexcel is coat of Neatsfoot Oil, so when people ask me how to condition this leather, that’s always my first recommendation.

cheerio
Joachim

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great! Thanks for the help!

Seriously, these are thrifted and not in my size, so I'm trying to get a bit of info on them for selling/trading purposes. Here's what Alden people have said:

Has anybody ever seen these?

I have a pair of kudu longwings on the plantation crepe sole - these ones here: http://leffot.com/2012/01/12/alden-x-leffot-kudu-longwing-blucher/. Thanks to the crepe sole, these are among the most comfortable shoes in my collection. Yours look like they have definitely been resoled, but the condition of the rest of the shoes look to be pretty good based on your Flickr photos. The kudu leather is great for being able to take a beating though.

Last edited:

CFowler2790

Reaction score
Quick question, I got sized at a local store that carries Alden and might be ordering some here soon, but dont understand the size he wrote down for me. He wrote down that I'm a 11D/B which fits perfectly for the Indy and PTB and Chukka, so do I fit a B or a D? Either or?
confused.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads