• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amftx

Reaction score

How do I treat scratches like this on a the toe of my boot? I'm guessing it's from a barstool or something. I hit it with a horsehair brush for a bit and it's still visible. I plan on beating these up pretty bad, but would like to treat the scratches as they appear.
0c0cda76.jpg

That's nothing. A little alden #8 wax and it'll disappear.

I've worn my #8 chukkas in rain, bars (spilled alcohol/soda/red bull on them), scuffed them on concrete, stepped on each other, danced in them, and more. A little reno and some #8 wax is like magic. Deeper scuffs will change the texture a little but I hear a deer bone helps with that. I wear my shoes and enjoy the character I give them over time, so I don't think I'll ever get a bone.

AldenLuver

Reaction score
Congrats - that is a beautiful boot, one of their best makeups in my humble opinion. Up there with the Cigar LWB and Whisky PTBs. It has been previously discussed but one strategy is to keep them locked away at work till the right moment comes along with the significant other. I like to wait till she comes home with a few Nordstrom bags in her hands and then BAM, "honey, I just got a pair of Alden's on sale". Then you bring the boots from work and all is well.
biggrin.gif

Amen brother! That's an awesome plan... can't believe i didn't think of it myself!

amftx

Reaction score
Those #4 wingtip boots at Shoe Mart are going to be sick. SICK.

Can anyone explain why the difference in PTB styles? It seems there's a "standard" style which has a single piece of leather for the toe, vamp, all the way around to the heel. Lacing is done with two additional pieces of leather stitched at the top. The Shoe Mart and most of the Alden stores carry this version.

Example, notice from toe to heel quarters is the same piece of leather:

Then there's a nicer version which has the toe and vamp area as a single piece, then the lacing and all the way around to the quarters and heel are a separate piece. Think chukka, but as a shoe. This seems to be standard for custom/designer shops like LSW, and suede PTBs.

Example:

Notice the heel quarters and toe are separate pieces of leather.

I have to admit I prefer the latter, but it's so uncommon. Why the difference?

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.
I hear whining in the distance. If I remember correctly, you are in the "Barrie killed my mother" camp.

Barrie isn't bad for a few types of casual boot, but anything else on the barrie comes off as clunky and old-man imo. Fortunately Alden makes more than one last, so I can remain a happy camper.

:foo:'s oneshoe on the plaza is a good example of a better looking lw than the ol' barrie lw

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those #4 wingtip boots at Shoe Mart are going to be sick. SICK.
Can anyone explain why the difference in PTB styles? It seems there's a "standard" style which has a single piece of leather for the toe, vamp, all the way around to the heel. Lacing is done with two additional pieces of leather stitched at the top. The Shoe Mart and most of the Alden stores carry this version.
Example, notice from toe to heel quarters is the same piece of leather:

Then there's a nicer version which has the toe and vamp area as a single piece, then the lacing and all the way around to the quarters and heel are a separate piece. Think chukka, but as a shoe. This seems to be standard for custom/designer shops like LSW, and suede PTBs.
Example:

Notice the heel quarters and toe are separate pieces of leather.
I have to admit I prefer the latter, but it's so uncommon. Why the difference?

Some retailers call the latter (which I also prefer) the "Dover" pattern. Notice all suede PTBs have this pattern. Same with the unlined number 8's. Also, my cigar on crepe also is on this pattern.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall that I was checking out the Kudu Indy. I really like the Kudu leather, but I had a hard time after seeing the Bureau boot. So I split the difference and put a deposit on the Kudu Ultimate Indy from Leather Soul. Oki stated that they expect a restock in about two or three months. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
v42uzp.jpg

ravello wt
argyles otc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads