• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid about $430 for my suede chukkas. $100 for extra for the blue is a little steep.

Dodo

Reaction score

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Alden. Have picked up 2 pairs of Alden shoes from Leathersoul and looking at adding a navy suede shoe to my Alden collection for spring/summer wear.

Which do you prefer?  I have tried out the chukka at my local dealer and like the fit and look.  However I also like the LS navy suede short wings, but haven't tried it on to compare.  Looking to wear these with jeans and chinos.

Both are pretty unique and sharp in the navy suede.  

http://www.rodengray.com/shop/Suede-Chukka-men.html?variantid=8933&designer=true

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/03/16/alden-shoe-navy-suede-shortwings/

Care to share your thoughts? I know it does come down to personal preference, but just wanted to get a feel from all you Alden fanatics:D  and to help me finalize my decision.

i prefer the LS short wings,

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cigar captoe is a beautiful shoe. I wish it fit my wide feet or they made it on a Trubalance last. Agree with you, would love this in a shell as well.

Alden DC stocks the cigar captoe boots in an E width. I have wide feet and basically sizing up in E from barrie (I can wear 9.5E/10D in barrie but wear a 10E in grant) worked for me.

Todd V

Reaction score

Anything similar to the Leffot Naval boot? Looking for a pair of cleaner black shell boots and just want to see what my options are outside of the standard Alden models
DSC_00065-463x332.jpg

How about Alden of Carmel's AF43 and AF60, both simple, commando-soled black shells.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do i treat scuffs on the toe of my boot? Everytime I wear them out I get new scuffs around that area.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gotta get back to brushing them, I was doing it at like 2 am last night after I got home. Got so tired :satisfied:

vento1

Reaction score
London,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good eye to notice the price premium.

When I was at RG, I noticed the brown, snuff suede first and then saw the navy suede. At RG, they have the brown, snuff suede listed at $398 and the navy suede didn't have a price on the shoe, but the salesman assumed it would be $398.

Navy suede caught my eye and when I went to try it on, the salesman then noticed on the box that the navy chukka was listed at $530. I inquired why it was so much more, he didn't have an answer.

I paid about $430 for my suede chukkas. $100 for extra for the blue is a little steep.

vento1

Reaction score
Dodo,

Thanks for sharing, I also like the LS short wings, but can't try it on.

The other 2 pairs of Alden I purchased from LS and had a chance to try it on as I was there on a holidays.

i prefer the LS short wings,

kippy

Reaction score

Alden DC stocks the cigar captoe boots in an E width. I have wide feet and basically sizing up in E from barrie (I can wear 9.5E/10D in barrie but wear a 10E in grant) worked for me.

thanks, will check this out. how does the grant feel to you relative to the barrie? still plenty of toe room?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What's the best possible deal on a pair of #8 cordovan chukkas?  Anything less than retail?  

One of those J Crew 25% off coupons where they forget to pull all the Aldens from the site.
It's a crapshoot.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ lol, yes, I vividly remember passing on that deal during the Holidays (I think it was even up to 30% or more at one point, best deal ever).

I don't think anything of that sort is going on right now (sad).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads