• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteC

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes guys. What disturbs me the most about the Alden addiction is that it seems to be accelerating. I started with CXL and black calf Indy's from Alden DC and I was fine for about 6 months. Then I got a pair of black PTBs from Alden DC. Less than a month later I was in on the preorder for the LS/SF wingtip and when those came in the #8 PTB preorder. I was good for a few more months. But it's getting worse. Kudu Indys and sand suede PTB seconds from Shoemart, and blue suede PTBs from LS all within the last month.

It's gotta stop sometime right? Right???

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcomes guys. What disturbs me the most about the Alden addiction is that it seems to be accelerating. I started with CXL and black calf Indy's from Alden DC and I was fine for about 6 months. Then I got a pair of black PTBs from Alden DC. Less than a month later I was in on the preorder for the LS/SF wingtip and when those came in the #8 PTB preorder. I was good for a few more months. But it's getting worse. Kudu Indys and sand suede PTB seconds from Shoemart, and blue suede PTBs from LS all within the last month.

...no...i'm sorry.:(

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lsxsepreview.jpg

im sure some of you have seen this already
LS x SE collab boot in natty chromexcel and black regina grain calf

This is awesome! I love the soles. Black boots to me are an opportunity if you missed out on their black and tan LWB. Those with raw denim = awesomeness.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoemaker tip here:

There's a guy, Vincenzo, down here in Bay Ridge who will do a double leather resole (with heel) for around $75. Its not the luxury of a BNelson (new trees, new laces, complete refab of the uppers) but if you take good care of your shoes, and don't need a whole lots of extras, he may be worth a shot. He's on Third Avenue between 87th and 88th Streets. A real old timer. I think I'm going to take my jumpers to him and have him do the resole. He said he can give me the light antique edge as well.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is awesome! I love the soles. Black boots to me are an opportunity if you missed out on their black and tan LWB. Those with raw denim = awesomeness.

I just don't get those white soles, make them look like sneakers. I thought the white sole was a relatively new trend until I saw old Red Wings with them. To each his own...

cloudshift

Reaction score
Saturday morning + Alden x LSH "Natty" LWB.
First pair with Plantation Crepe Sole... These babies are quiet... :)

Last edited:

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
My right foot measures a 11.5, and I have read over and over that the Barrie last runs about a half size large. After trying it on in the store, I purchased a size 11 plain toe boot in black shell, which is on the Barrie last, and there is still a lot of room from where my big toe ends to the end of the boot. How much room is too much? A size 10.5 wasn't available, and I really love the boots. I walked around on carpet in the boots and my foot isn't slipping. I'm just concerned about the fit once the boot breaks in and creases set; and since its on a crepe sole, which is very flexible, I'm concerned about the boot potentially "flapping" as I walk.

What do you think?

cloudshift

Reaction score

My right foot measures a 11.5, and I have read over and over that the Barrie last runs about a half size large. After trying it on in the store, I purchased a size 11 plain toe boot in black shell, which is on the Barrie last, and there is still a lot of room from where my big toe ends to the end of the boot. How much room is too much? A size 10.5 wasn't available, and I really love the boots. I walked around on carpet in the boots and my foot isn't slipping. I'm just concerned about the fit once the boot breaks in and creases set; and since its on a crepe sole, which is very flexible, I'm concerned about the boot potentially "flapping" as I walk.

What do you think?

FWIW, I measure 11 on a Brannock, yet I feel more comfortable in a 10 on Barrie last. As for toe room, they say too much is better than not enough. Perhaps there's a Barrie in size 10 you can try on somewhere locally?

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What do you think?

Don't worry if they're a bit too big, you can always add an insole to make up for that, especially if I'm reading you correctly and you have mismatched sized feet. I guess to an extent we all do, one shoe always seems a bit tighter than the other on me. If you go too small, you really can't stretch em to fit, despite what some might say.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think?
Regarding length, I think space from the toes is secondary to placement of the ball of your foot right at the widest part of the shoe. Certain lasts will have longer toeboxes and the consequence is just typically toe tip wear; toe taps can take care of that. My L foot is half a size larger than my R foot and I base all my footwear on the fit of my larger shoe. Honestly, after a month you won't even worry about it anymore.

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
FWIW, I measure 11 on a Brannock, yet I feel more comfortable in a 10 on Barrie last. As for toe room, they say too much is better than not enough. Perhaps there's a Barrie in size 10 you can try on somewhere locally?

Don't worry if they're a bit too big, you can always add an insole to make up for that, especially if I'm reading you correctly and you have mismatched sized feet. I guess to an extent we all do, one shoe always seems a bit tighter than the other on me. If you go too small, you really can't stretch em to fit, despite what some might say.

Thanks for the feedback. To be more specific, I indeed have mismatched sized feet: 11.5 right and 13 left. I have been compensating for this difference by purchasing two pairs of shoes and donating the unused ones to National Odd Shoe Exchange--a charity for amputees, etc. However, I will post my unused odd pairs here sometime to see if I can recover some of the extra $$$ spent on shoes.

Anyhow, I recently purchased 2 pairs color 8 Indy boots on the Trubalance last in sizes 10.5 and 12, and have spent some time walking on carpet and they feel fine.

I also purchased 2 pairs of color 8 NST/Tanker boots on the Barrie last in 10.5 and 12, which I walked in the store with, but am waiting until I determine what I will do with the creased boot shaft (see my previous post).

I also purchased 2 pairs of color 8 plain toe blucher on the Barrie last in sizes 10.5 and 12, and spent some time in them on carpet and they're AOK so far.

Finally, I purchased 2 pairs of the plain toe boot in black shell also on the Barrie last with crepe sole in sizes 11--they did not have 10.5, and 12. Regarding the fit of my right size "11.5" foot, I walked around in the store, up and down carpeted steps and they were within tolerance. There seems to be about an inch from where my big toe ends and the end of the boot. Not enough where my foot slides around, but as I walked on carpet at home, this larger size seems to "flop" as I walk, especially with the very flexible crepe sole, and I become concerned with this worsening as the boot breaks in. The vamp hasn't developed a crease yet, and again, I really love the boots, but I also think of the long term with these as these are a long-term investment, so to speak.

I welcome the opinions of you seasoned Alden-ians. Thanks in advance.

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
Regarding length, I think space from the toes is secondary to placement of the ball of your foot right at the widest part of the shoe. Certain lasts will have longer toeboxes and the consequence is just typically toe tip wear; toe taps can take care of that.
My L foot is half a size larger than my R foot and I base all my footwear on the fit of my larger shoe. Honestly, after a month you won't even worry about it anymore.

Thank you brother!

sfactor23

Reaction score

+1 - that was exactly what I was thinking - just sent Tom an email asking about them -
btw, this is an open thank you to everyone here: I appreciate the info everyone has contributed, it has helped this noob tremendously.

sfactor23

Reaction score

Pete, I'm with you: in the past three months I've picked up a pair of Vanguards from LS, a pair of Indy 404s, and yesterday a pair of 403s - and I know that there are more coming, despite what I say to myself (and my wallet says to me)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads