1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

Light rain in NYC yesterday caused some bubbling in the creases of my new shell ptbs. Lots of brushing has had little effect. I'm a little freaked. Need some advice.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It happens. It might go away eventually, or it might not. Keep brushing.

Try the new "leather defender" next time.

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

Saphir Renovateur

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Alden #8 LHS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Relaxation strategies :)

Time will take care of it. Had the same thing happen in the past and they eventually went away without doing anything special. SC has a reputation to be 'durable' so water drops shouldn't be a major concern. Salt on the other hand...

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

This happened to me a few years back with my black PTBs...mine have never gone away. I freaked too when i saw the welting/bubbles. I asked the guys at Alden SF and they said they use the deer bone to polish/massage out the water marks. I also asked uncle Mac and he basically said (like a gentleman) suck it up, they are shoes, just wear them and enjoy them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Well-Known Member

New forum member and new Alden fan here. Here's my story. So this holiday season I resolved to retool my wardrobe. I'm a 40 year old humanities academic who never really stopped dressing like an impoverished grad student. I have some nice things, but they're all performance gear related to hiking. For instance, smartwool baselayers, Limmer hiking boots, Arc Teryx goretex jacket/pants. But I don't have any nice office clothes, and nowhere is this more obvious than with shoes. In the last 15 years, for instance, I can count up purchasing and discarding 17 pair of ill-fitting, ugly, cheap "dress shoes". This includes many, many pair of Camper shoes that I got on sale and which all fell apart after a year or so.

So in my wardrobe makeover everyone says start, or at least concentrate, on shoes. I learn that if I spend $300 instead of $100, I get get sewn on soles that promise multiple resoles and many years of use. I knew this in terms of hiking boots, but for some reason never made the connection to office wear. So I go to Allen Edmonds in Boston and check out my first nice shoes. Allen Edmonds, from the friendly and super helpful staff in their store to their all around famed customer service, is a company and brand I immediately like. But many of the shoes I see in their store look like factory seconds. There are scuff marks on the leather in many models I see, and weird creasing, coloration in other models. Yes, I'm being more picky than usual, but for $300 I'm underwhelmed by their offerings. (And I say this as someone who went into the store really, really wanting to like Allen Edmonds and who really liked the staff I worked with!) Alas, I'd rather pay $500 for very good quality control than $300 for shoes that have obvious blemishes.

So I go to Shoemart which isn't too far from where I live and check out Aldens. I don't love the price point and reading about the company their customer service is not so well regarded as Allen Edmonds (see young clay b's story on Ask Andy). But I reluctantly try on several pair and boom, done . . . I'm hooked. I buy a pair of color 8 PTB and after a week of wear I love them. I find the white creasing to be beguiling on the color 8 and I want more. Plus, I need a full rotation so I dont prematurely wear my shoes out. So the next week I pick up a pair of color 8 cordovan chukkas and a pair of suede chukkas (which I think are gorgeous in the snuff color). But I want more cordovan, and the next day I pick up a pair of cigar chukkas. At this point, my wife is about to kill me, though what she doesn't know is that I've already placed orders for cigar longwings and a pair of whiskey ptb. So at the moment I have a pair of color 8 ptb, a pair of cigar and color 8 chukkas, and a pair of suede chukkas. That's four pair in a month with two more on order. Glad to have the obsession. And no, none of you here have helped me control the symptoms. God help us all. P.S. I wear an 8.5 D in the cordovans on the Barrie last, and I bought a 9D in the suede chukkas on the leydon last. I think I need a 9E on the suede chukkas, if anyone is interested in a trade. I've worn them only once, but I know they're tight.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. blue collar

Alden #8 LHS
    [​IMG]
    quote]

One of my favourite Aldens period!

9. BIG WONG

BIG WONG Well-Known Member

In the same boat here. Reading this forum just keeps increasing my Alden addiction. After a year, I am about to complete my shell rainbow (minus the elusive #4). You guys are a horrible (but stylish) influence!

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Love the laces man...enjoy!

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've had good luck with reno and rubbing the blisters out with the back of a metal spoon. Here's what Nick Horween says.

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

You might also try the back of an old toothbrush after the back of a spoon as that can get into the creases a bit better. Or, get a deerbone which has the benefit of seeming to be about the right circumference as well as being infused with oils good for cordovan.

13. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

14. blue collar

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.