1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

What a great shade of #8 !! How old are these???

2. sellran

sellran Well-Known Member

When are you going to figure out why LS doesn't like selling you shoes or people don't compliment you on anything. You're just mean.

3. pic9809

pic9809 Well-Known Member

alden of carmel had cigar LWBs last i checked

and leather soul got natural CXL tanker boots a couple weeks back, tho not sure how much stock is left

4. HorseHide

HorseHide Well-Known Member

Enabler!

5. ambivalence

ambivalence Well-Known Member

hey thanks... still cant decide on what shoes to get.. am also considering the natural cxl lwb .. :cloud:

6. furo

furo Well-Known Member

You must have me confused with someone else. I've never attempted to buy anything from LS

7. Therendition

Therendition Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Not sure why it seems to be such a big deal to furo.

8. Therendition

Therendition Well-Known Member

Those are sweet. Is that cigar?

EDIT: I'm partially colorblind. Definitely #8, right? It just seems so light.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

those are a perfect example of why #8 is whats up

10. furo

furo Well-Known Member

wish they made that on the Grant... has anyone done a LW boot on the Grant?

11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Alden doesn't do a long wing boot.

12. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Well-Known Member

Not sure if "longwing boot" was a typo or not, but there was a thread a while back on "longwing boot".

http://www.styleforum.net/t/153992/longwing-boots

The basic conclusion was that, indeed, Alden does not do a longwing boot.

Unfortunate, because I would really like a mid-height (i.e. chukka height) longwing faux desert boot in tan suede w/ plantation crepe soles. Anybody else? There a few non-Alden makers doing longwing boots in full and mid-height, Trickers, Mark McNairy, and Mihara Yasuhiro......And Ron Rider had expressed interest in the thread cited above.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

+1

14. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I love longwing shoes, and hate longwing boots. They look like they have a zipper running around them so they can convert into regular shoes.

15. Kashiwa

Agree. The low center of gravity of a longwing looks completely wrong in a tall boot. But I think a chukka boot height longwing looks pretty good.

16. imatlas

What do you want to wear them with? I can't decide if the CXL LWs or the suede ptb might be the most flexible of the options you've outlined - either could look good with jeans, chinos, shorts, etc, but those are all great options.

17. imatlas

I'd have to see that.

:dubious:

18. kippy

kippy Well-Known Member

I was going to disagree with you and then I looked at your avatar for a second and now my mind is a complete blank. I will agree with anything you say while that hypnotic animated gif draws me in.

edit: yes, I do think a longwing boot or chukka would look strange but for the life of me I cannot articulate why. If we can figure out the design logic of why a longwing boot looks peculiar than we can deduce why a longwing chukka would also be off.

edit: Kashiwa gets points for bringing up something I never thought of, as peculiar as it might seem on first thought.

19. kippy

kippy Well-Known Member

I would hate to get in the way of this public tar and feathering you are administering but perhaps you are thinking of me and not Furo when mentioning LS not selling shoes to someone (and that someone complaining about it). For what it's worth, I have always been polite over the phone with them and have not had any issues with the other 5 or 6 shops that sell Alden shoes. Also, I am friendly to animals and small children.

[​IMG]

20. Kashiwa

These are not Aldens, but the topic was raised here and I know there has been interest in an Alden longwing boot in the past, so it seems appropriate. Anyway, it's a good exercise in figuring out what works and what doesn't.

It seems to me that longwing chukka height boots look much better than tall longwing boots. As an example of a tall longwing boot, here is one by Mark McNairy. As imatlas said, looks like side zipper shoe convertible material. Low center of gravity made by the low set line of the longwing is out of balance with the tall boot.

[​IMG]

And here are two chukka height boots by McNairy and Mihara Yasuhiro;

Mark McNairy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a ridiculously ugly shoe by Mihara Yasuhiro, but the underlying idea looks good to me.

[​IMG]

One of my dream shoes is a tan suede longwing w/ plantation crepe soles.

[​IMG]

I thought that a longwing chukka version of this shoe would be a really nice take on a desert boot, but I'm not sure.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.