Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

looking very good, enjoy wearing

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 chukkas
    argyles otc

3. cheesecake

cheesecake Active Member

Just received these J.Crew x Alden which actually have a double leather oiled sole instead of the normal double leather sole (J.Crew website shows inaccurate photos).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Although I do like them, I have only been purchasing shell cordovan (RL Marlow wingtips, RL Marlow penny loafers, RL Marlow PTB, Alden cigar captoe boots, Alden x LS cigar Pitt boots) and I am thinking, should I get a pair of ravello longwings instead or would they be too similar to the RL wingtips?

4. kippy

kippy Senior member

I was just responding to the other posters questions. I made a single post where I clearly stated my perspective. BTW, my question was something like "do you have size 9.5e in cigar in any makeups" if I recall correctly - it's been a good year since I called.

BTW, it's just shoes we are talking about right? Not matters of life and death to get "butthurt and ranty" on? Just checking. Why not just leave it at your experience was X and my experience was Y.

5. SLAB

SLAB Senior member

did anyone on this forum pick up a pair of those gorgeous cordovan 8 cap toe boots from TBS (now sold out)? Really wish to see some other pictures besides the one on TBS

6. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

What is TBS?

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Sister network of TNT, and the home to all of the AL and NLDS!:D

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Those look nice. IMO wingtips and LWB are two different animals...

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

lol yeah anyone who owns

RL Marlow wingtips, RL Marlow penny loafers, RL Marlow PTB, Alden cigar captoe boots, Alden x LS cigar Pitt boots

should find ravello longwings and cognac shortwings sufficiently different :)

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Thank you, sir.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) Alden suede is nice. These are cool shoes (as always, they look better in customer pics than J Crew's garbage online photos). I wore J Crew Alden suede dovers all summer last year, they were eye catchers, I just took delivery of a pair of navy suede chukkas (pics up tomorrow probably). I will likely add one more suede (Alden or Church's) for the summer. 2) RL wingtips are a different shoe - a bit more formal and "dressier" than the barrie lasted longwings. I own the RL Marlow wingtip and have a cigar longwing on order (cigar is probably closer to the marlow than ravello) and don't consider them redundant. I also plan on getting the marlow PTB during the next sale, and I already have ravello PTBs - again, the Marlow is on a sleeker last.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

12. MattPol

MattPol Member

I know it's minor, but why can't J Crew just ship their Alden's in the green box?!

13. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

The two pair I got from JCrew were in the Alden green boxes. First one was beat to crap. What pisses me off is when you ship them back to alden in the box the came in for repair and Alden ships them back to you in a shiny white box with no marking on it. :brick:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

14. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Sounds like we're starting to get the "Shoe Nazi" persona put on us! I apologize to those who we did not do a good job helping. I think the main problem is the growth of my business. When I started posting on SF years ago, I was a one man operation. I had the time and energy to reply and help everyone and anyone. Now as I type this, we have 7 customers in store, 2 sales people and 1 manager helping, one shipping clerk behind me, my CPA doing the Quickbooks inputs, and 1 manager on lunch. Our in-store business takes up our time and energy. Kuni, my top sales person, stays every night till around 1-2am replying to his emails. His shift ends at 10:30.

As you could imagine, this increase in in-store business has also lead to an increase of mail order business from those customers who bought in-store. Those customers, combined with those with long histories with us, take preference in our replies and allocations. I'm being totally honest here. It's just business. When we get an order of 24 pairs of whiskey shoes, of course we need to offer these to those customers first. Most times they do sell out before we can offer them to the public.

As far as sizing, it makes most business sense for me to order D widths, size 5.5-12. The majority of those sizes are between 7-9 though. I'll order 5-6 pairs of 7-8, but only 1-2 pairs over 10.5. It's not easy to order C widths since they don't fit the masses. I'm slowly adding Es as our orders grow. Preorders have become extremely frustrating for me since half the people don't understand why our preorders have been taking so long. New orders are currently taking over a year so it gets frustrating for some people. I'd almost rather not do preorders when I need to deal with the frustrations of so many people.

As far as checking individual stock, it's always best to call us. If you want to know everything we have in a size, then an email would be better so we can take the time to check. However, our makeups tend to sell quick and the majority of our stock (and business) is still in Alden standard stock shoes, so if you ask us what we have in a 9D, you may get a long list of standard stock shoes.

I've always been honest and up front with everyone on SF and AAAC. I still check SF multiple times a day. I check AAAC maybe once every three months. SF members are still extremely important to me so I apologize if we can't take care of you guys as much as we did in the past. We are human, and there are multiple sales people, so although I try my best to watch over and train my staff, I can't guarantee everyone will give the best service every time. If anyone has any problems please email me directly and I'll try my best to help or rectify the situation. Same goes for those who have direct questions about Aldens in general.

Sorry for the long reply. We should get back to posting pics about Aldens!

15. applky

applky Senior member

QFT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.