1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

It's the way that the shoelace eyelet tabs are stitched on. On an oxford, they are stitched on underneath the vamp. On a derby, they are stitched on top of the vamp. "Oxford" and "Derby" are essentially the British synonyms for "balmoral" and "blucher", respectively.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

3. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

4. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

5. advan031

advan031 Senior member

son of a b...those are awesome and is my size...I MUST RESIST!!! but I'll save money if I way for the Alden of DC version. What constitute as a Day Tripper boot? This boot and Alden of DC captoe are both in grant last, cigar shell and commando sole....are they basically the same?

inhale....exhale

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

That's the Alden of DC make-up not an MTO as stated. Same last, welt, color & sole. I could be wrong about that. If it was me I'd call Kathy @ Alden DC and get put on the waiting list for that make-up instead of chancing it on eBay for basically full price with foreign shipping. Just my two cents and nothing against the seller if he's on SF.

7. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Yeah, I've already reserved a pair from Alden of DC.

8. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

+1. You could ask the seller. The model number is 40680HC, at least the once from the DC store. They look identical. Day Tripper is really the name Leffot gave to their Ravello captoes so that's a bit misleading as well. Nice boot, either way.

9. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

10. borderline

borderline Senior member

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

This is pretty basic stuff so you may very well know this already but in the event you don't, for reference here are a couple of images to illustrate commodorewheeler's post above:

Picture #1: Oxford or Balmoral

[​IMG]

Picture #2: Derby or Blucher

[​IMG]

Generally accepted that a bal is more formal than a blucher. I find that my high volume/high instep feet work much better with bluchers. Therefore, many of my shoes fall into that category.

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks! The pictures of your black DBs pretty much sold me. I have to say, with black shoes being <20% of my collection, I do like this pair!

Read your post about the faux cordovan... my condolences NAMOR

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yep, I got them in 9.5E, 10D was sold out or reserved

15. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

Hey guys, quick question...

I am somewhat interested in some Alden's with a Hampton last and being that I have only ever owned a Barrie I wonder if I really need to size up at all for the Hampton if my Barrie's always fit me a little loose, keep in mind that the Hampton's I'm looking at would be worn with no socks most of the time or with thin socks at the most. Anybody think I can pull 10.5D Hampton if I'm a 10.5D Barrie in this instance?

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Just e-mailed Tassels to inquire about their Whiskey Tanker... then I scrolled down and saw that they are already sold out :brick:

I wish someone will do a re-order on this style! I really want a Whiskey NST!

17. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Who's got two thumbs and popped his Aldens cherry with 2 pair of leather soul captoe boots in black shell and #8 shell?

This guy.

1 person likes this.
  18. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Is there a list somewhere of Alden sellers that offer custom store-runs? eg, Leffot, LSH, Frans Boone, The Bureau, Unionmade, etc.?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  19. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

^ the first post of this thread

20. sazon

sazon Senior member

I always thought that with a suit, only a lace up shoe was proper. I too work in NYC too and personally abhor the look of loafers with a suit. To me, they look like slippers.

Be a big boy and get some proper shoes with laces to go with that Hermes tie, Mr. Trader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.