Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

My 403's have stretched so much that I can now wear my orthotic insoles (which are a little bulky) in my 403's. When I first bought the boot in the summer I could not put them in.
    Are they loose, yes.
    I wear a size 10.5D and tried on a 10D when I was looking. The 10's were very tight to the point of uncomfortable.
    The leather has since stretched and softened making them all that more roomier, which makes for a sloppy fit.
    Maybe I should have stuck it out with the 10's if I knew the leather would have stretched that much.

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, I don't think there are many guys on SF who do work in the manual labor sense, anyway.

3. scb

scb Senior member

There's a huge difference. The used to be light and orangish/tan. Now they're a very red/brown. My girlfriend asked me when I bought the new shoes. She couldn't believe they were the same pair

4. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

:lol: good point

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

the last time i was at alden DC i was chatting with the manager and she mentioned that their best selling shoe was an indy boot, and that the average person buying it was a laborer/construction worker/fireman (who apparently buy 2-3 at a time)

6. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

out of curiosity, was there any indication of "two-tone" ness when you first bought them? been seriously considering the whiskey lwb for some time now and would be good to know to stay away from this problem

7. scb

scb Senior member

yes, my whiskey's were 2 toned from the start.

8. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

the "new" version actually looks cool but I would be concerned as to how they will age with wearing and brushing etc. etc.

9. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I'm a heavy equipment hydraulics mechanic/weldor who owns a pair of Indys. I love my 403s (when i'm not working) but I'd have to say that the Indy would be useless in a true shop environment...unless you were working as a carpenter, shuffling around in sawdust.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello ptb
    argyles otc

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

In that case consider my comment moot.

Either way I am getting the impression that you are unhappy with them, and therefore I think you should send them back rather than "settling" for an inferior product.

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Hello Alden Thread, I've got a sizing question. I'm admiring the new #8 monks from Leather Soul, but don't have any experience with the plaza last. What I have are all on the Barrie, where 11D is a little roomy and 10.5D works but needed some time to loosen up to a comfortable fit. Haven't had chance to try on 10.5E yet... So for someone who's generally an 11 but on the cusp between D and E, what suggestions are there? Of course, I assume LS won't have E widths stocked, so really the question is: 11D?

13. scb

scb Senior member

I need a wider width, so I am selling them. I sent them back to Alden because I didn't want to sell someone a pair of 2 tone shoes (and I wouldn't be able to sell them for much since they were 2 different colors). Now if I sell these, what do I call them? Will people see these as second-quality and pay less?

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

Against all odds, UPS actually delivered my new shell boots in three days. They look a little goofy fresh out of the box, but I bet they'll look better after some breaking in. I stepped into them, and they fit exactly like my LWBs, but minutely snug across the ball of the foot. I'm sure they'll loosen up for a perfect fit.

Bonus: These were advertised as having a single leather sole (and are pictured as such on the J Crew website), which was not my preference. I was happy to see mine show up with a double leather sole!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

15. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

just got my ravello boots topied last week (toe part only), but the outer heels are getting worn out pretty quickly and unevenly; around 3mm just from 10 wears or so. My guess is that it is from the way I walk. Should I get heel taps installed? Anyone with similar experiences?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.