• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Shell Wingtip Boots on Plaza from AoSF for Wingtip Wednesday!
View attachment 2188521

This perfectly captures my feelings on brass. I don’t know that I could pull these off but dang, these look incredible!!

Under the radar O'Connell's of Boston C8 PT on TB/Commando and C4 2x2 by AoM
View attachment 2188603 View attachment 2188605

Wow…….just wow! And that doesn’t even cover the C4’s as those 8’s are sublime. 4’s are obviously next-level.

Franky

Reaction score
Seriously considering a pair of these this year. Looked into a few other brands making shell loafers but these look the best to me
Alden or bust for penny loafers (unless you can’t find the particular make up anymore like the unlined stuff).

Franky

Reaction score
IMG_8071.jpeg

Had a shell issue with my 986 and Alden fixed me up with a new pair, which was a lot more than I expected. I had a receipt that I bought them new so maybe that had something to do with it, but I expected them to be like it’s been a few months, kick rocks. Alden4lyfe

Commisar

Reaction score
Alden or bust for penny loafers (unless you can’t find the particular make up anymore like the unlined stuff).
For shell loafers 100000% Alden then maybe Rancourt.

Alden calf is nice. CXL... Rancourt, Oak Street and Grant Stone have you covered.

Franky

Reaction score
For shell loafers 100000% Alden then maybe Rancourt.

Alden calf is nice. CXL... Rancourt, Oak Street and Grant Stone have you covered.
Personally I think the van last is just too perfect for a penny loafer for me to veer too far off from Alden, though I do own some C&J Pennie’s. For other styles like horse bits or tassels I’ve been known to try some osb/GS tho 😉

Commisar

Reaction score
Personally I think the van last is just too perfect for a penny loafer for me to veer too far off from Alden, though I do own some C&J Pennie’s. For other styles like horse bits or tassels I’ve been known to try some osb/GS tho 😉
Heh true. How do you size your Van lasted loafers? TTS, 1/2 down.... A full down?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Seriously considering a pair of these this year. Looked into a few other brands making shell loafers but these look the best to me

I would argue that Alden's LHS and their Tassel Loafer are pretty clutch and hard to beat!

-Mike

Commisar

Reaction score
Yeah half size down from brannock. Brannock -1 width works as well, I have a van friendly foot which makes Aberdeen fit like crap lol
Great to hear. I'll try and swing by my local Alden retailer today or tomorrow and see if they have any to try on.

Btw what is a Van friendly foot? I have a kinda boxy foot with a medium high instep...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1