• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, TB is that much better. I love Barrie, and like you, my 975 are some of the most comfortable shoes I’ve worn. Any Indy boot I’ve worn has still been more comfortable.

It’s got awesome arch support, but has just a tiny bit more volume in the toe box than Barrie. If you haven’t tried it yet, would highly recommend it.

I've not yet tried it, as almost everything for me has been Barrie or Modified. Is it closer to the Barrie than the Modified? I used to think it was called the turbulence last.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snake Oil Provisions also has a version with black dressing and the Indy stitch on the quarters.

My size is out but this is perfect as I think I’d prefer dark edges. As such I am also considering Brogue’s Ruby Hill.

And anyone can feel free to answer this, but is TB really that much of a better experience than the Barrie? My 975s are insanely comfortable to me. They are the shoes I reach for when I know I am going to be walking more than usual. Granted, when I first lace them up I feel a small amount of tightness on the pinky toe but it goes away by the time I walk out of the door.

At the end of a long day after wearing them, I’m in good shape. They’re probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I own…supportive too!

Purely aesthetics for me. While TB may provide a slight boost in comfort for me I simply prefer the look of a plain toe when on TB.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been starting to see tanker models like this at Brogue which are obviously not the traditional hand-stitch type tankers we're used to seeing. Was this the machine stitch solution that Alden came up with due to the shortage of hand sewers and production limitations? It doesn't look bad, but does make me wonder if we will actually see a return of machine stitch shell boots, indy, tanker or otherwise. I know there was a boot made last year in shell with machine stitch apron (forgot the shop) but curious if this was the potential direction forward? @BAK Any insight?
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 3.48.36 PM.png

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been starting to see tanker models like this at Brogue which are obviously not the traditional hand-stitch type tankers we're used to seeing. Was this the machine stitch solution that Alden came up with due to the shortage of hand sewers and production limitations? It doesn't look bad, but does make me wonder if we will actually see a return of machine stitch shell boots, indy, tanker or otherwise. I know there was a boot made last year in shell with machine stitch apron (forgot the shop) but curious if this was the potential direction forward? @BAK Any insight?
View attachment 2104101
Halo in Portland recently had some machine-stitched shell

aldenblackcordindy1_300x.jpg

Last edited:

Franky

Reaction score
View attachment 2104101
I’m willing to sacrifice all hand stitch models so the LHS can stay alive 😁

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
And anyone can feel free to answer this, but is TB really that much of a better experience than the Barrie? My 975s are insanely comfortable to me. They are the shoes I reach for when I know I am going to be walking more than usual. Granted, when I first lace them up I feel a small amount of tightness on the pinky toe but it goes away by the time I walk out of the door.

At the end of a long day after wearing them, I’m in good shape. They’re probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I own…supportive too!
For me the answer is a definite "yes." So much so that I'm moving on from a decent part of my shoe collection to add a few TB last boots to the rotation. The added arch support is a godsend for some people. Both of my arches have collapsed and the support offered by trubalance (I overload the support offered by the modified last) is amazingly helpful.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
View attachment 2104101
I know some still prefer the aesthetic or "preference" of hand-stitched but I find the machine stitch to be more attractive on some models. The hand stitch may be more rugged but the machine stitched pairs are a tad more versatile for wear (at least in my opinion).

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Machine stitched shell Aldens never went away. Moulded Shoes & Anatomica do machine stitched shell v-tips on Modified. Also, shell tassel loafers are usually machine stitched.

I think the other poster was specifically referring to machine-stitched shell Indy boots. AFAIK they've all been hand-stitched in the last years with the recent exception of the Halo make-up.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
For me the answer is a definite "yes." So much so that I'm moving on from a decent part of my shoe collection to add a few TB last boots to the rotation. The added arch support is a godsend for some people. Both of my arches have collapsed and the support offered by trubalance (I overload the support offered by the modified last) is amazingly helpful.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, the fit and comfort of a particular last depends very much on the peculiarities of an individual’s foot.

I never found TB to be particularly supportive; to me it feels pretty much just like Barrie, only with slightly more width up front. In my case, the added volume up front is a minus, and Barrie ends up being an all around better fit. For arch support in Aldens, i wear Modified or throw in inserts or arch wedges.

slows2k

Reaction score
I think the other poster was specifically referring to machine-stitched shell Indy boots. AFAIK they've all been hand-stitched in the last years with the recent exception of the Halo make-up.

I think Brogue's San Cosmo Indy is machine stitched, as was the first run a number of years back.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
I think Brogue's San Cosmo Indy is machine stitched, as was the first run a number of years back.

The San Cosmo isn't a shell Indy though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads