• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: suppose a pair of new shoes is delivered and one shoe of the pair is a slightly different shade than the other: one classic olive tone cigar, the other more like a mocha brown. The difference is not great but its there when the light hits them.

Can the shoes be re-dyed to get them closer to one shade or the other?

If not, would you keep or pass?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @James1051, I have had shell's that arrived with slight differences in the shade and it is simply at this point not much of a problem for me. When I first got into this expensive shell shoe game, I would not dare accept less than perfection for my [insert indignation emoticon] $600 shoes. Fast forward 7-8 years and the differences add a bit of uniqueness and character that I actually like. And really, no one outside of this forum pays anywhere near as much attention to our shoes as we do. Stated differently, most folks won't even notice the difference.

Now, having said all of that, in my limited experience, the difference between olive-tone cigar and mocha is far more dramatic than 'slight'. It conjures up images of dark brown versus light brown. I guess the best way to opine would be if you could post a quick pic as I doubt that you would even be asking the question if the difference was as dramatic as the vision I have in my brain.

Lotta words without taking a position. Will do better if you post a pic.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @James1051, I have had shell's that arrived with slight differences in the shade and it is simply at this point not much of a problem for me. When I first got into this expensive shell shoe game, I would not dare accept less than perfection for my [insert indignation emoticon] $600 shoes. Fast forward 7-8 years and the differences add a bit of uniqueness and character that I actually like. And really, no one outside of this forum pays anywhere near as much attention to our shoes as we do. Stated differently, most folks won't even notice the difference.

Now, having said all of that, in my limited experience, the difference between olive-tone cigar and mocha is far more dramatic than 'slight'. It conjures up images of dark brown versus light brown. I guess the best way to opine would be if you could post a quick pic as I doubt that you would even be asking the question if the difference was as dramatic as the vision I have in my brain.

Lotta words without taking a position. Will do better if you post a pic.
I do have a photo, but it is not mine and wouldn't feel right about posting it without the retailer's OK. Hope to hear from him later

What about dyeing them? Can't Alden re-dye them?

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Question for the group: suppose a pair of new shoes is delivered and one shoe of the pair is a slightly different shade than the other: one classic olive tone cigar, the other more like a mocha brown. The difference is not great but its there when the light hits them.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to marvel at two different shades of ravello on one pair of shoes. Saved me about $800. ?

Some days, I love the right shoe. Other days, I love the left shoe. ??

Finally, I have received many compliments about these shoes. I have yet to have anyone say to me:

“Hey man, do you know your shoes are two different colors?” ?

C60A85B3-C431-43EB-AA6E-AA691601E5E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have a photo, but it is not mine and wouldn't feel right about posting it without the retailer's OK. Hope to hear from him later

What about dyeing them? Can't Alden re-dye them?

Makes sense. Most retailers aren't going to want you to post that picture and I don't blame them. I thought you had the shoes in hand or I wouldn't have even suggested it.. In my inexperienced position on this, if the difference is not due to extraneous factors such as one shoe being a display model, the difference in shades will not be corrected by re-dyeing as it is like caused by differences in the material. I have a pair of Strand seconds that were noticeably different upon receipt. The differences have evened out over time so much that the only time I notice it is when I take a picture.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

ShoeTree, looking great in those particularly rugged looking Indy Boots today!

Love the colour of these JCrew Alpine LHSes. The additional dark pipping is a nice touch. Built for inclement weather with a hard Waterloc sole. Tank LHS, circ. ‘17. No longer offered.. at least for now.
View attachment 1563821

Chippy, those are looking great. Interesting how much a tiny detail, such as the piping color can make a design!

Finally warmed up. Ealdwine Davie boots in the morning sun.

View attachment 1563851

GGMac, those Chamois Cap Toe Boots are looking great on you and glad that you are getting some nice sun!

The Ravellos received the deer/sleeking bone treatment along with some Renovateur, fawn cordovan cream, a light touch of cognac wax polish and a hint of mirror gloss on the toes and heels.

Heading to an old friend’s tonight who are moving out of the old neighborhood after 25 years (we moved 2 years ago after 23 years).

I’ll wear these tonight.

I figured it was the least I could do. ?

View attachment 1563913

Johnnie, those Ravello Chukkas are a good way to great anyone as they are looking superb! Hope that you and a good time with your old neighbor and friend.

Well, last day of the month, so better late than never.

For winter in Boston, I find it's an absolute necessity to wear genuine Vibram brand soles. I found this out the hard way, trying to rationalize why the Alden/Goodyear AT sole was causing me to fall on my rear end whenever I encountered an unexpected icy patch. The final straw was the Halloween snowstorm when I was spinning out of control on my back while a car neatly avoided me.

So, the Modified Last CXL PTB (Alden D8816H) with All Terrain soles got an upgrade. Changed to Vibram Lug Soles using the MegaGrip rubber. Its a softer grippier sole (so the heel wears faster), but the safety improvement was huge. This was especially important for me because I like to go for after dinner walks in the dark, not knowing where I am stepping. 3 months, and no incidents, so it was well worth the added expense. And yes, the heel is showing some signs of wear, but heel replacements are possible even with one piece soles.

View attachment 1564259 View attachment 1564260

Boyd, thanks for sharing those awesome CXL PT Boots! Definitely could see those boots, especially with those super heavy soles being perfect for a hearty winter!!!!

-Mike

barutanseijin

Reaction score

Like this?

01263F89-B3A3-450A-980C-C3C90E77D6FA.jpeg

I figure the. color will shift over time anyway.

Also, it’s rare that the light hits the left and right in exactly the same way. Shadows, angles to light light sources, reflections of other objects etc will affect how we see the left and right. On top of that, one shoe obscures the other when seen from the side. You notice the difference in color more because you see them from directly above. Most people won’t have that good a view

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's more common that shell footwear do not match than match perfectly. Many manufacturers use a coat of acrylic to color them. Once the acrylic wears off, the true colors become apparent. This happens gradually. I consider this a characteristic of natural leather and it does not concern me.

Other manufacturers use polish to even out colors prior to selling.

If you send back to Alden, they will prolly just topcoat them with acrylic.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure. A lot of people like different colored shoes.

38219E56-BA40-4E97-BDC0-B3F42537EAD3.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Beautiful and I can't wait for suitable weather here to wear that color of footwear again. Funny, was looking at first photo and thought, OMG he has a spot on his suede!, Scrolled down and spot moved then I realized it is a spot on my laptop screen, so cleaned the screen and now your shoes look proper.

LoL, I have done that same thing as well, thinking there was wrong with a photo or something to realize that it was a spot or smudge on my display!!! :) Looking forward to more being able to rock the beautiful suedes as well!!!

It's a slightly rainy day, but not so that Apex boots are out of the question. View attachment 1564407

Looking great AuDog in those lovely Apex Boots. Hope that they are keeping you dry and nicely supported!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads