• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined natty CXL LHS today. Such a great Summer shoe

20200711_114039.jpg

X_dSF

Reaction score
May just be the angle, but is your instep a bit high? If so, how'd you size these?
A beaten up navy pair here. I am also a victim of high instep so I initially chose barrie size on any of my van loafers.
This pair ended up with some heel slip right now. One reason might be I also got a slim heel and the wide heel on van last cant hold them well. Another thing is due to the unlined design, they are easily stretched comparing to those lined loafers.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_135811.jpg
    IMG_20200711_135811.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 33

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone rethinking their shoe collection and wardrobe in general given a shift to more work from home? We will be going back to the office in September, and there is long-term talk of more work from home (being in the office a few days a week). In that scenario, two or three good dress shoes (black, color 8, loafer) may be all I need. Throw in some boots and bluchers for work from home days and weekends, and you have to consider if dress shoe collections need to be as large as they used to be...

I'm in the same situation. I don't see myself getting out of the house much for work until fall/winter. That's when I tend to wear more commando soles rather than leather soles. I have some beauties that have only seen few wears a year in non COVID times (looking at you Ravello WTB on leather).

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. And I'm tempted to jump in not that preorder. Is that on Barrie or Grant?
Barrie. I wear a 10eee in Indy on trubalance so I went with the same size. I’m very excited to get in on a makeup in eee. I’ve been causally planning something in Color 8 in some boot, but today’s phone call must have put me in a trance—when I came to, I had a receipt emailed to me noting that I made a deposit. February 2021 planned delivery! (Birthday is in Feb., so that will be cool.)
Hope you join me...

jm4i

Reaction score
Anyone know of a shop with a Grant Color #8 Shell Perforated Cap Toe Boot on commando with quarter stitch and no pinking? Closest I've found is Alden of Carmel's, but it has pinking. I'll pick up Carmel's anyways if he does another run and can squeeze in E widths because the over-sized pinking is interesting, but I was just curious if there was another.

Also, any shops doing loden suede boots neither in a split-toe nor wingtip? Ealdwine's Glenwood Boot is perfect, but I'm waiting for the opening of the next run.

While I'm at it, what's the minimum requirements for an Indy boot to be called an Indy, and for a Jumper to be called a Jumper? I'm leaning towards Indys having the quarter stitch and u-tip, and Jumpers have the quarter stitch and perforated cap toe? I swear I've seen examples of an Indy being called an Indy without the quarter stitch though, and the same with Jumpers. So maybe the naming is just flexible and there's no consensus on the minimums all must share, but rather only an agreement on the details they can't have?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads