• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm at the moderate end of shoe collection on this forum and I struggle to put miles on my modest collection. Yesterday I was determined to get a sparsely used pair into my rotation. The bal saddles have yet to be worn since getting them back from Alden months ago. The two-tones have maybe 2-3 wears in the 3 years since I grabbed them from Brogue. I was undecided on which to wear so I tried this to help with the decision.....

View attachment 1502156

Decision made after a few minutes of thought. Sadly, I went with a staple, unlined LHS from BB <sigh>.
Wear what you enjoy!

I’ve bought enough pairs on a whim, as a compromise, shoes for a style/formality I don’t regularly wear, and what not that I’ve started letting things fall as they fall. If I find myself avoiding a pair for a long time, I go ahead and let it go. Most hobbies aren’t truly investments, so I just chalk my losses up to enjoying my hobby. I guess my point is, if you feel obligated to wear and not really ever want to wear, it may be they’re detracting from your enjoyment rather than adding to it. If that’s the case, I’m not telling you to dump them, just offering a sympathetic post as a fellow shoe collector that it’s OK to not keep them out of obligation of investment. :D

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear what you enjoy!

I’ve bought enough pairs on a whim, as a compromise, shoes for a style/formality I don’t regularly wear, and what not that I’ve started letting things fall as they fall. If I find myself avoiding a pair for a long time, I go ahead and let it go. Most hobbies aren’t truly investments, so I just chalk my losses up to enjoying my hobby. I guess my point is, if you feel obligated to wear and not really ever want to wear, it may be they’re detracting from your enjoyment rather than adding to it. If that’s the case, I’m not telling you to dump them, just offering a sympathetic post as a fellow shoe collector that it’s OK to not keep them out of obligation of investment. :D

That is a really cool perspective. My challenge is that I truly don't have a pair that I don't like.....a lot. But I have more than a few that I really love. They seem to always get the call. I will tell you that I was ready to do some serious downsizing right before the pandemic. Since I am fortunate enough not to have to sell due to finances, I decided to hold off given the understandably soft market.

Good advice though and I certainly appreciate you taking the time.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Anyone waiting for the Wick boot from Snake Oil Provisions?
I was told they should be in around the first week of Dec.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a really cool perspective. My challenge is that I truly don't have a pair that I don't like.....a lot. But I have more than a few that I really love. They seem to always get the call. I will tell you that I was ready to do some serious downsizing right before the pandemic. Since I am fortunate enough not to have to sell due to finances, I decided to hold off given the understandably soft market.

Good advice though and I certainly appreciate you taking the time.
I’ve been holding on to me to sell pile as well...

Having ones you really like and ones you love without having any you don’t really like makes it harder for sure! Not feeling obligated it the most important part. They’ll all get worn eventually.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
40F and raining here, day calls for Commando
IMG_5622.JPG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LaRossa Shoe in South Weymouth, Massachusetts and Moulded Shoe in NYC are also alternative options. Pretty sure Footworks in North Attleboro, MA can also do it.

Damn, I love this forum. Thanks my-man!

Reactions: BAK

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden brethren,

I have a pair of leather soles I would like to convert to Alden commando. Aren't there cobblers who can/will do this so that the rubber is integrated into the sole (true Alden commando) versus simply glueing or stitching the rubber on the bottom?
Not 100% on this one: But Sherman Bros in PA and LaRossa Shoe in MA might be able to do this. (Sherman notes it on their website and I’ve been to LaRossa before aka Louie Retail.)

Edit...just saw that others mentioned these, too; I should have read the rest of the thread first.

slows2k

Reaction score
Well, thanks to you enablers I went ahead and sprung for the Morgans from Ealdwine Raleigh. And with that my little capsule collection is very nearly complete. I look forward to really using and getting some great wear on them. Well worn plain toed boots in color 8 look killer.

Shoutout to Jim over there who took my order over the phone on a day the store was closed. Great guy!

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden brethren,

I have a pair of leather soles I would like to convert to Alden commando. Aren't there cobblers who can/will do this so that the rubber is integrated into the sole (true Alden commando) versus simply glueing or stitching the rubber on the bottom?
my bad it was indeed Larossa . Been a long morning lol

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads