• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these from Leffot's pre-owned shoes. They are my first rare shell.

Model is 9882 MY. Anyone know the provenance? They were either made in 2009 or 1999.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

They are cigar shell (based upon Leffot's listing), but the prior owner(s) darkened (or should I say maintained the color) the front of the shoe with whatever they treated it with. The facing and heelcaps are what I would consider normal aged cigar or ravello out of the box. They are waxy and stiffer like my #8 shell boots. The vamp ahead of the throat and the toe cap are darker (cigar out of the box) and much softer. They are also not as waxy, almost like they were stripped.

The soles are a pretty worn, as are the sock liner, so I am going to send them back to Alden for a full restoration. Does anyone know if they will retreat the shell? Is there any way to rebalance the color?

The Leydon last is pretty roomy, but it's perfect lengthwise.

Thanks for any advise and info in advance.
Lovely shoes.
I realize I’m late to this party, but if these were mine, I would not have Alden or anyone else change the color.
I would have b. Nelson or bedos do a resole.
Vintage cigar is perhaps the best shade of Alden shell, it would be a shame to see them dyed dark to even the colors.
I find shell color variation very unique in a good way.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined 8 LHS (and a rogue piece of string) at the incredible Chicago Athletic Association building for dinner last night. Had to get a picture of the mosaic floor in the entrance with the Aldens while my wife rolled her eyes at me.

View attachment 1208256
Surely your wife, like most of ours, is used to taking pictures of footwear wherever we go.........(mine still rolls her eyes)

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brogue "Clint" boot and some baggy All-American clothing "work" jeans. It's over 90 out, heat index of 110, yet boots seemed like the footwear of choice. Now if the air conditioning in the house, car, stores craps out, I will not be happy in boots....... View attachment 1208280
Great looking makeup!

DocWatson

Reaction score
The month of loafer madness continues – maiden voyage out of the house with these BB suede tassels. I feel like I'm in between sizes on Aberdeen with these falling on the larger end at 9.5 and my shell pair nicely snug at 9, but a Pedag summer terrycloth insert makes these right as rain with no socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads