• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis G

Reaction score
Full Disclosure: I am aware this is petty but aesthetics is something you pay for when spending nearly $800.

I got my Alden wingtip shell cordovan boots and due to rain they have developed some bubbles on the crease. Attempts to press them out, brush them out, condition them out and dry them out have failed.

I just attempted the mac method, I am not feeling very positive about the results but we will see in next few days.

I may just box them up and leave them not to be worn until I can live with it, they go away, or I sell them off to someone who doesn't mind.
44798457_10155620163206786_3939165694028939264_o.jpg

gilby

Reaction score
Full Disclosure: I am aware this is petty but aesthetics is something you pay for when spending nearly $800.

I got my Alden wingtip shell cordovan boots and due to rain they have developed some bubbles on the crease. Attempts to press them out, brush them out, condition them out and dry them out have failed.

I just attempted the mac method, I am not feeling very positive about the results but we will see in next few days.

I may just box them up and leave them not to be worn until I can live with it, they go away, or I sell them off to someone who doesn't mind.
44798457_10155620163206786_3939165694028939264_o.jpg
I've run into this issue as have many others. I have a few shell pairs which are more prone to water spots than others. The Mac method and time are the best remedy. They'll come back to normal.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents.

Can these Barrie #8 shell shoes ever look right being worn casually like my #8 shell tankers on TB and not look "off"? Or are they best suited for CM dressy time since they are Barrie. And perfed.
#8 Aldens.jpg

I haven't worn them out yet as my style has changed. I had listed them on B&S but pulled them as I'm thinking of looking for a shell boot trade.

Thanks!

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents.

Can these Barrie #8 shell shoes ever look right being worn casually like my #8 shell tankers on TB and not look "off"? Or are they best suited for CM dressy time since they are Barrie. And perfed.
View attachment 1059779

I haven't worn them out yet as my style has changed. I had listed them on B&S but pulled them as I'm thinking of looking for a shell boot trade.

Thanks!

I have a similar pair that I've worn with dark denim more than anything else. I think they work great from denim to chinos to trousers.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar pair that I've worn with dark denim more than anything else. I think they work great from denim to chinos to trousers.
I wear my #8 TB Tankers with dark denim. A perfect combo. I would never think of grabbing the bluchers instead.
Chinos maybe. But I envision(likely wrongly) those shoes being worn by an attorney or banker.
I'll look around AOC and B+M for pics.
I appreciate the opinion!

fourdoggies

Reaction score
Hello Gents.

View attachment 1059779

Thanks!
I would say those are actually more casual than dressy. Traditionally, brogueing, medallion toes, and derby lacing all come from casual shoes. And the Barrie isn't really a sleek narrow last like in a traditional dress shoe. So if anything, those are traditionally not dressy shoes for shoe snobs. And they would look great with jeans, chinos, etc. At least that's my understanding.

magneto78

Reaction score
I would say those are actually more casual than dressy. Traditionally, brogueing, medallion toes, and derby lacing all come from casual shoes. And the Barrie isn't really a sleek narrow last like in a traditional dress shoe. So if anything, those are traditionally not dressy shoes for shoe snobs. And they would look great with jeans, chinos, etc. At least that's my understanding.
I agree. I couldn’t imagine wearing a suit with these. Maybe a flannel trouser or cord

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents.

View attachment 1059779

Thanks!

What is CM dressy time?

Those shoes are gorgeous and I would not hesitate to wear those with chinos/jeans/ or a jean in khaki color. They're bluchers with naturally make them more casual, if one is trying to be strictly sartorially correct.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all protect your tassels on your tassel loafers when you put them away in shoe bags/closet?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello Gents.

View attachment 1059779

Thanks!
Being brogue derbies I'd also say they lean casual. Similar formality worn with denim below

20180601_075424.jpg

20180713_104314.jpg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, not to mention the antique edges which push it in a more casual direction. In my opinion, they're a great looking, casual shoe. However, there's no right or wrong answer on whether a shoe is right for you and your wardrobe so if you never reach for them it's hard to say you're wrong in looking elsewhere, either.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw an instagram pic of MattGray405 and he had a pair of highly polished Alden/Leffot #8 medallioned boots he wore with darker blue denim. I'm no expert but they looked like Plaza's. It looked so awesome.

Perhaps I should finally polish these shoes and try on some dark denim. They'll probably look great but I will likely get shade from my blue collar friends.

Thanks!

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One protects the tassels? I jut put the shoes in the bags after brushing them. I'm missing something.

I've seen some things which lay over the tassels to keep them from having an Albert Einstein hair day! :eek2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads