• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokensf

Reaction score
Hi Alden dudes, first post here ;)

I came across a nearly new pair of burnished tan calfskin short wing boots with commando soles (10D Barrie) a month ago on craigslist, which never happens. I waited two weeks for them to go away but they just wouldn't so I broke down and bought them for a great price. Last week I wore them on my trip to Wisconsin, stomped around in some snow, and really came to appreciate the commando soles and love the boots.

That purchase reignited the Alden flame and this week things got out of control. Now on the way:
- Unlined snuff chukkas from Leffot pre-owned (10D Leydon). This is my first pair on the Leydon last. I have double leather sole snuff chukkas in 10D on Barrie and they're a little too roomy, so I'm hoping these will be snug enough to wear sockless. From what I've read most people size up though...
- Color 8 naval boots double leather soles for Drakes (10D Barrie?) - worn a handful of times. This will be my first pair of shell boots and I'm kind of excited about that :)
- Calf cap toe boots on commando soles (10.5D Hampton) - like new. Of course my offer was finally accepted after I'd bought the color 8 boots. I have a pair of 911s on the hampton in the same size and they fit pretty well with dress socks, so these boots should be fine.

At that point I figured I might as well round out the week right and contact Yenni to get in on the next snuff suede Davis boot pre-order. I flat out love everything about that makeup.

Thanks to everyone for passing on so much wisdom and for sharing photos of these amazing shoes!

alden_boot.jpg

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Alden dudes, first post here ;)

I came across a nearly new pair of burnished tan calfskin short wing boots with commando soles (10D Barrie) a month ago on craigslist, which never happens. I waited two weeks for them to go away but they just wouldn't so I broke down and bought them for a great price. Last week I wore them on my trip to Wisconsin, stomped around in some snow, and really came to appreciate the commando soles and love the boots.

That purchase reignited the Alden flame and this week things got out of control. Now on the way:
- Unlined snuff chukkas from Leffot pre-owned (10D Leydon). This is my first pair on the Leydon last. I have double leather sole snuff chukkas in 10D on Barrie and they're a little too roomy, so I'm hoping these will be snug enough to wear sockless. From what I've read most people size up though...
- Color 8 naval boots double leather soles for Drakes (10D Barrie?) - worn a handful of times. This will be my first pair of shell boots and I'm kind of excited about that :)
- Calf cap toe boots on commando soles (10.5D Hampton) - like new. Of course my offer was finally accepted after I'd bought the color 8 boots. I have a pair of 911s on the hampton in the same size and they fit pretty well with dress socks, so these boots should be fine.

At that point I figured I might as well round out the week right and contact Yenni to get in on the next snuff suede Davis boot pre-order. I flat out love everything about that makeup.

Thanks to everyone for passing on so much wisdom and for sharing photos of these amazing shoes!

View attachment 930537

Two things:
You find Alden shoes on Craigslist?
Would love to see those color 8 naval boots when you get them!

And P.S., we are about the same size so if any of those don't work out for you... :)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question - do you guys think these Color 8 shortwings would be okay to pair with a navy suit?

https://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-color-8-shell-cordovan-short-wing-tip-502.htm

Background - Getting married in April, super casual and informal ceremony/reception at a winebar. I actually already have my suit shoes, dark brown Allen Edmonds Fifth Aves for my navy suit and black Allen Edmonds Park Aves for my charcoal suit. But since it's a special day, kind of an excuse to grab a new pair for the wedding.

Something like this Color 8 wholecut looked really interesting, stayed formal enough, but would lack the versatility for my super casual wardrobe. Plus they don't have my size and wedding is in April :)

On the other hand, the shortwings would allow a ton more versatility after the event, but goes against the traditional balmoral + suit equation. I do wish they weren't split welt (a bit more casual IMO) but they're available in my size (plus on last call!)

For those who dress more formal on a regular basis:
  1. Do you find color 8 + navy suit works well?
  2. Does the shortwing + suit scream fashion faux pas at you? I don't think this would be a frequent occurence as I'll stick to my AE with the suits and most people at my wedding don't know anything about fashion anyways :) And I guess I really don't mind, I think.
  3. Any other recommendations? I'm certainly on a boot hunt but since this would be for the wedding specifically, feels okay to get something just for the occasion (but of course versatility after the fact is nice) I know balmorals aren't too common with Alden (although I know they offer them).
Thanks in advance!

Not much I can add to what @smfdoc provided but I will say that IMO you can not find a better shoe for what you describe than the shortwing you are looking at. I go back and forth on dressing up antique but to most non-shoe purists, it looks absolutely incredible on 8 and when paired with navy, is about as good as it gets. And based on your style, it will have the added benefit of likely becoming your go-to pair for years to come. I like the wholecut it but for some reason, the antique doesn't work quite as well on this design. Just my opinion. Bottom line, grab the Shortwings (Adam is great to deal with), try to keep the future bride calm, immerse yourself in her beauty on this day, and cherish the moments with your best man and groomsmen after the ceremony. It will be 4-5 of the best hours of your life. Congrats!

Love these James. I didn't realize you picked these up. New?

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much I can add to what @smfdoc provided but I will say that IMO you can not find a better shoe for what you describe than the shortwing you are looking at. I go back and forth on dressing up antique but to most non-shoe purists, it looks absolutely incredible on 8 and when paired with navy, is about as good as it gets. And based on your style, it will have the added benefit of likely becoming your go-to pair for years to come. I like the wholecut it but for some reason, the antique doesn't work quite as well on this design. Just my opinion. Bottom line, grab the Shortwings (Adam is great to deal with), try to keep the future bride calm, immerse yourself in her beauty on this day, and cherish the moments with your best man and groomsmen after the ceremony. It will be 4-5 of the best hours of your life. Congrats!

Love these James. I didn't realize you picked these up. New?
Thanks, Shawn!! I have actually had these for a bit. I purchased them last June from Yenni.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy. Just look darker in the photo. They are more versatile than I thought they would be when I ordered. An earth version would be great too.

Thanks. Yeah, I really like AoC’s new earth chamois Indy on commando with natural edges, but would love it if they were earth reverse chamois instead I think.

brokensf

Reaction score
Two things:
You find Alden shoes on Craigslist?
Would love to see those color 8 naval boots when you get them!

And P.S., we are about the same size so if any of those don't work out for you... :)

Hi duff406,
I'm in SF Bay and aldens do come up CL every so often, but I really lucked out with these boots.
Definitely will share pics of the color 8 boots next week, and I'll let you know if anything doesn't fit ;)

GGMac

Reaction score
Grant last question for the group. I wear a 10D in the Plaza and that fits me very well. My 9.5D 975’s fit great as do my AoM Choco tankers. My J-Crew tobacco calf lwb’s fit well but just a bit more snug than my 975’s and Choco tankers. I’m looking to purchase the AOM-51 jumper boots from Adam at AoC but not sure about the Grant last. I could also hold out for the Brogue color 8 Jumpers to re-stock as I know the Barrie in 9.5 would work for me.

Adam has been great to work with and suggests a 10d but also warned it runs larger than the Plaza. I figured this group could help address my question.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52