1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

The Official Alden Thread for 2018 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2018.

1. brokensf

brokensf Member

Hi Alden dudes, first post here ;)

I came across a nearly new pair of burnished tan calfskin short wing boots with commando soles (10D Barrie) a month ago on craigslist, which never happens. I waited two weeks for them to go away but they just wouldn't so I broke down and bought them for a great price. Last week I wore them on my trip to Wisconsin, stomped around in some snow, and really came to appreciate the commando soles and love the boots.

That purchase reignited the Alden flame and this week things got out of control. Now on the way:
    - Unlined snuff chukkas from Leffot pre-owned (10D Leydon). This is my first pair on the Leydon last. I have double leather sole snuff chukkas in 10D on Barrie and they're a little too roomy, so I'm hoping these will be snug enough to wear sockless. From what I've read most people size up though...
    - Color 8 naval boots double leather soles for Drakes (10D Barrie?) - worn a handful of times. This will be my first pair of shell boots and I'm kind of excited about that :)
    - Calf cap toe boots on commando soles (10.5D Hampton) - like new. Of course my offer was finally accepted after I'd bought the color 8 boots. I have a pair of 911s on the hampton in the same size and they fit pretty well with dress socks, so these boots should be fine.

At that point I figured I might as well round out the week right and contact Yenni to get in on the next snuff suede Davis boot pre-order. I flat out love everything about that makeup.

Thanks to everyone for passing on so much wisdom and for sharing photos of these amazing shoes!

alden_boot.jpg

2. Bbwape22

Bbwape22 New Member

BD1C3A6C-3805-41DB-BCA5-D8752FFDEC0A.jpeg
    Very similar to yours but a shoe version. Barrie alpine grain, crepe sole. Abit scrubed up.

3. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

Two things:
    You find Alden shoes on Craigslist?
    Would love to see those color 8 naval boots when you get them!

And P.S., we are about the same size so if any of those don't work out for you... :)

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

Not much I can add to what @smfdoc provided but I will say that IMO you can not find a better shoe for what you describe than the shortwing you are looking at. I go back and forth on dressing up antique but to most non-shoe purists, it looks absolutely incredible on 8 and when paired with navy, is about as good as it gets. And based on your style, it will have the added benefit of likely becoming your go-to pair for years to come. I like the wholecut it but for some reason, the antique doesn't work quite as well on this design. Just my opinion. Bottom line, grab the Shortwings (Adam is great to deal with), try to keep the future bride calm, immerse yourself in her beauty on this day, and cherish the moments with your best man and groomsmen after the ceremony. It will be 4-5 of the best hours of your life. Congrats!

Love these James. I didn't realize you picked these up. New?

5. jpm1

jpm1 Senior Member

Thanks, Shawn!! I have actually had these for a bit. I purchased them last June from Yenni.

6. GGMac

GGMac Senior Member

Leffot reverse chamois Indy’s at the Children’s Museum for my son’s 2nd birthday.

F06EA99A-134E-47BA-A186-9CF77357F519.jpeg

7. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

BM reverse tobacco wingtips today

20180224_112813.jpg

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Are those earth?

Really like that make up.

9. GGMac

GGMac Senior Member

Navy. Just look darker in the photo. They are more versatile than I thought they would be when I ordered. An earth version would be great too.

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Thanks. Yeah, I really like AoC’s new earth chamois Indy on commando with natural edges, but would love it if they were earth reverse chamois instead I think.

11. chipshot

chipshot Distinguished Member

Dad and I chillin watching baseball again.. ahh .. King Chukka’s 7ED9EAA5-1136-496B-950D-4D67B98FA327.jpeg 4DBB59FE-8294-4E80-9D8A-2D04C9192763.jpeg

12. brokensf

brokensf Member

Hi duff406,
    I'm in SF Bay and aldens do come up CL every so often, but I really lucked out with these boots.
    Definitely will share pics of the color 8 boots next week, and I'll let you know if anything doesn't fit ;)

13. 3fltenant

3fltenant Member

14. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

I’ll admit I’m new here. I haven’t heard of that last. That model has caught my eye on the Brooks Brothers web site. How would you describe the fit?

15. GGMac

GGMac Senior Member

Grant last question for the group. I wear a 10D in the Plaza and that fits me very well. My 9.5D 975’s fit great as do my AoM Choco tankers. My J-Crew tobacco calf lwb’s fit well but just a bit more snug than my 975’s and Choco tankers. I’m looking to purchase the AOM-51 jumper boots from Adam at AoC but not sure about the Grant last. I could also hold out for the Brogue color 8 Jumpers to re-stock as I know the Barrie in 9.5 would work for me.

Adam has been great to work with and suggests a 10d but also warned it runs larger than the Plaza. I figured this group could help address my question.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.