• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinM

Reaction score
Temps dipped below 60 overnight and it was overcast this morning. To me that means time for some boots--smooth chamois Indys from B+M.

IMG_4995.JPG

DustinM

Reaction score
Also, I need a tutorial on how to take proper footwear photos. Mine never come out looking like the ones posted here haha.

Xenos

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep reverse chamois conditioned?

wildstar

Reaction score
Looks good! Your right leg displays the same thing that mine does with selvedge -- for some reason the ID/seam is always more front-facing on my right leg than on my left leg...

OMG, some of my jeans do that too, thought it was just me. Drives me freakin crazy!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep reverse chamois conditioned?
When I asked about my chamois lwb's, Nick Horween's response was a *tiny* amount of pure neatsfoot oil. Given the oil-smell these already give off (even after a fair number of wears), I'm guessing it's a loooong time before they need anything...

Not sure how I'd recommend you apply it to a roughout though...

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally got in on this J. Crew preorder about a year ago. Took myself off during the wait time and then regretted it. These came back on line in May with a Sept ship date. They arrived yesterday. Always nice that J. Crew ships their Aldens with an extra set of laces.

It's my first experience with Horween Kudu. First impression is its quite thick and very oiled and should be a good friend for wet days.
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get some advice on sizing? I'd like to take the plunge on some Alden's. My faves are Allen Edmonds, and the 65 last in the Brannock 12 D suits me well (higher instep than most). The past month I bought some vintage Alden 645 model wingtips with Foot Balance heels. As I'm not certain of the widths available, I took a stab at the B/D and it fits well - not sloppy, not snug. What about the A/C width - in your experience, would that be too narrow? The 645 model is close to being a bit short in length, and I cannot find the last that it comes in on the search function , nor on the sizing help page (hat's probably on me). Thanks guys!

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally got in on this J. Crew preorder about a year ago. Took myself off during the wait time and then regretted it. These came back on line in May with a Sept ship date. They arrived yesterday. Always nice that J. Crew ships their Aldens with an extra set of laces.

It's my first experience with Horween Kudu. First impression is its quite thick and very oiled and should be a good friend for wet days.
View attachment 842936 View attachment 842937
I have a pair of these and absolutely love them, they are probably my most worn pair of shoes. They've held up great with just minimal care. I swapped in some tan laces and wear the heck out of them. Probably start getting more wear time as its cooling off here finally...

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of these and absolutely love them, they are probably my most worn pair of shoes. They've held up great with just minimal care. I swapped in some tan laces and wear the heck out of them. Probably start getting more wear time as its cooling off here finally...
Thanks ! I was thinking of doing the same – swapping out the laces for something more rugged. Not sure why flat-waxed dress laces would be used with this model, but that’s something easy enough to fix. Post some pics of your with some wear if you can !

MarcoDHC

Reaction score
Looks good! Your right leg displays the same thing that mine does with selvedge -- for some reason the ID/seam is always more front-facing on my right leg than on my left leg...
Good to know I'm not the only one it happens to! At first it drove me crazy but I eventually learned to ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads