• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Happy new year's every one.  can any one give me some pointers where i can purchase a pair Alden indy 401 black with commando sole and also have on my sights the Indy natural cxl indy boot also with commando sole.  Been looking all over and can't come across in size 8.5 thanks.

Not sure on the Commando 401 as I haven't shopped for one at all and nothing is jumping out at me.

For the Natty CXL Indy I immediately think about Leffot. They have a pre-order it appears in production. But it looks like they only have 7.5D available.
https://leffot.com/shop/index.php/40552hc-pre-order.html

The next best (or better) than an Indy is a Natural CXL NST Boot. Brick+Mortar has this and coincidentally only has 8.5D in stock. This is extremely close, plus has hand stitch work! It is on the Commando sole.
http://brickmortarseattle.com/shoes.html

-Mike

gatszu

Reaction score

In general most shoes will exhibit heel slip when brand new because the sole doesn't flex as much as your foot. As it breaks in, the shoe conforms to the foot and the heel slip disappears. If, however, the heel slip in the 7.5D 986 is on account of length -- i.e. your heel slipping out because the shoe is too long, and not just because the sole is stiff -- then breaking the shoes in won't resolve the issue.

Thank you Chippy! I enjoy my Alden's and the community. You are looking great today in your lined 987's!

Happy New Year @gatszu
 I wear 10.5B on the Barrie Last (Boots and Shoes) and I wear 10C on the Van Last, which is technically my TTS-1/2. Frankly, the 10C's hurt my feet when I first get them, but they loosen up a little as the cork settles. I am personally not too comfortable providing sizing advice for the Van Last for Loafers, because it is a 3-Dimensional problem, length, width, and height on the vamp and sizing comparison's do not help at all on the height, which can be the largest contributor to sizing. I would personally probably stick with 7.5D, but it depends upon how much the heel slips out and how tight the others actually are.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice gents. Maybe loafer is not my cup of tea. The 986 in 7.5D has a little more space at the vamp than I like. I think the only way I would know if 7.5D fits is to break a pair in. It took me trying out 4 different Barrie sizes before figuring out what fits. Not sure if the van last is worth going through the same.

2slowt67

Reaction score
Thank you for the your help Mike. I just check the website you posted amazing set of shoe's. I did email Leffot and waiting to hear from them and see if they can make the shoes for me. Not sure if it's even possible. Can anyone tell me why there are short amount of Indy boots made with commando sole? I have a pair of 405 and I initially bottom with the commando sole.
FRANKIE

Last edited:

nrroden

Reaction score
Hey all! So a non-Alden related question, has anyone tried junkard cordovan boots? If so thoughts on quality compared to Alden?

cincytri

Reaction score
Anyone have any leads on a #8 perforated cap-toe boot with dark edge and commando sole? I've searched where I know to look without success and I don't see any on the planned runs from any of the retailers I look to for such things. Perhaps someone with better inside info could point me in the right direction? Thanks and I plan on showing my recent Alden purchases- the transition from the other US made company to Alden is hurtful on the wallet, but the boots are something else...

Looking for 10D on Barrie or 10.5 Grant.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So a non-Alden related question, has anyone tried junkard cordovan boots? If so thoughts on quality compared to Alden?
I think comparing them will be hard. My understanding is that Junkard is mainly stitchdown vs. GYW construction, and more of an MTO shop where most of your communication is via Instagram/IM. I've seen a few threads on Reddit about them, and generally the reviews have been positive.

As far as I know they aren't doing shell boots yet, but if you're looking for an affordable alternative to Alden with similar quality, I'd give Grant Stone a look. I have a pair of their Ottawa boots and recently got some shell PTB's from them, and they are both seriously outstanding. There's a thread here on SF where I've posted a bit.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy new year all. My resolution is to buy fewer pairs and wear my favorites more often.

I haven't bought a new pair since February. Trying to go a full year! Shell cap toe boots will be delivered in April (just in time)!

clementFR

Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking to buy in 2017 my first suede alden's.

If you had to pick only one pair, not too casual so you can wear it in the office from time, which model / color & sole would it be ?
Some fellows suggested the Longwing snuff suede from Frans Boone Store, I like it a lot but I'm not pulling the trigger yet as I may want my first pair of longwings to be leather, brown or color 8.

I also was looking at the navy blucher's (upper shoes paris, or frans boone store), but I'm thinking it may look too casual on chino's (or maybe it's just me ?)

I'd love to have some wing tips, like those super ball (https://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-snuff-suede-super-bal-wing-tip-525.htm) but I'm located in europe so I won't have access.

Cheers and thank you for your insights :)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you had to pick only one pair, not too casual so you can wear it in the office from time, which model / color & sole would it be ?
Some fellows suggested the Longwing snuff suede from Frans Boone Store, I like it a lot but I'm not pulling the trigger yet as I may want my first pair of longwings to be leather, brown or color 8.

I also was looking at the navy blucher's (upper shoes paris, or frans boone store), but I'm thinking it may look too casual on chino's (or maybe it's just me ?)

I'd love to have some wing tips, like those super ball (https://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-snuff-suede-super-bal-wing-tip-525.htm) but I'm located in europe so I won't have access.

borghini classics has a dark brown wingtip ball and dark brown wingtip boot in suede, both on sale right now:

http://www.borghiniclassic.com/eshop/en/6-designer-alden

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Happy new year all. My resolution is to buy fewer pairs and wear my favorites more often.

I haven't bought a new pair since February. Trying to go a full year! Shell cap toe boots will be delivered in April (just in time)!

I just checked and I haven't bought a pair of Aldens since August 2015!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

borghini classics has a dark brown wingtip ball and dark brown wingtip boot in suede, both on sale right now:

http://www.borghiniclassic.com/eshop/en/6-designer-alden

Those are great suggestions....for me I like my suede simple, captoe with medallion is as far as I go. I find that well worn Wingtip both long and short suede...boots/shoes tend to look a bit ragged over time. If you have a decent size rotation then I say go for it but if it is something to be worn two or three times a week then keep it simple with suede.

Last edited:

bkdc

Reaction score
Called Citishoes this morning, and they still have some #8 shell cordovan wing tip boots for sale at 30% off. None in my size, but 9 and 9.5D were available if anyone wants to jump at a crazy good price. Aside from that, Citishoes is running a private promotion sale off almost all their shoes for those on their e-mail list which ends up being about 10% off.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are still unsure, I would seriously consider the color 8 LWB as your first. If you are going to go with suede, the snuff LWB is my favorite of my suede Aldens. I am a huge LWB fan though. I have a couple of PTBs (snuff and camel), they are both very nice but I prefer the wingtip (long or short); I suppose the super bal would be pretty sweet also...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

If you are still unsure, I would seriously consider the color 8 LWB as your first. If you are going to go with suede, the snuff LWB is my favorite of my suede Aldens. I am a huge LWB fan though. I have a couple of PTBs (snuff and camel), they are both very nice but I prefer the wingtip (long or short); I suppose the super bal would be pretty sweet also...
I also recommend doing the Color 8 LWB first. I love my Snuff Suede WT Boots, Chocolate Suede Tankers, and Suede Tassels. Any of those can be worn to the office. -Mike

haiglarsen

Reaction score
Called Citishoes this morning, and they still have some #8 shell cordovan wing tip boots for sale at 30% off. None in my size, but 9 and 9.5D were available if anyone wants to jump at a crazy good price. Aside from that, Citishoes is running a private promotion sale off almost all their shoes for those on their e-mail list which ends up being about 10% off.

Thank you for the lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics