• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn reverse chamoise indys a lot and so far nothing but a brushing here and there as sometimes it tends to attract things like pet hair.

It is a terrific tough nap.

bkdc

Reaction score
Indy boot sizing question for those of you who own more than one pair:

Does anyone wear a slightly larger size in shell cordovan or wax leather (405) than they do in chromexcel leather (403 or other)? Or... do any of you wish you'd sized down with the chromexcel? I've only worn my chromexcel Indy boot about six days. The CXL leather has already stretched so that the boot feels large. When I first put them on in the morning, the gap at the heel seems appropriate, but by the end of the day, there is sooo much space back there that I think I should have gone with the smaller size. This would give close to no heel gap on first wearing but give me the reasonable finger-insertable gap mid-day.

I wear 8E in Plaza and Hampton shoes and 7.5E in Barrie shoes, but I went with 8E for both my shell cordovan Indy and the chromexcel Indy to account for the thicker boot socks. The shell cordovan sized perfectly after a few weeks with thicker socks but I think I should have gone with 7.5E with the chromexcel Indy.

Last edited:

larryr

Reaction score

Repost in the new thread: Does anyone have an opinion on the durability of the reverse chamois? I am looking for a legitimate workboot that can handle the occasional bit of grease, oil, and would stand up over the course of several years. What can I apply to it for protection?

I'd be primarily using these boots inside; not looking necessarily for a cold or wet weather boot. Just serious durability.

How about this from UM: https://unionmadegoods.com/product/...ront-boot-in-reverse-tobacco-chamoise-40207h/

And finally, can the reverse chamois compete at all with shell for longevity?

Would the sole of the oiled kudu boot work better?

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-indy-boot-in-dark-brown-oiled-kudu-404/

both leathers should be fairly durable

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy New Years everyone! I had moved a couple pairs last year both because of defects that I just couldn't live with which was unfortunate. Hoping this year to get more classic models but I'm sure there will be some great make ups coming around. Wearing these to start the year

Last edited:

clementFR

Reaction score
I just hope that for 2017 some cool brown shoes appears in Alden europe's retailers :)
Not many, just a coupe of pairs

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all. My resolution is to buy fewer pairs and wear my favorites more often.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Happy new year all. My resolution is to buy fewer pairs and wear my favorites more often.

I like that plan!

djbanor

Reaction score
Happy new year again, gents. All good wishes to everyone. May you have a wonderful 2017.

Reaction score
Subscribed.

Do monk straps stay on as effectively as tie shoes? Or should I go down half a size?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indy boot sizing question for those of you who own more than one pair:

Does anyone wear a slightly larger size in shell cordovan or wax leather (405) than they do in chromexcel leather (403 or other)?  Or... do any of you wish you'd sized down with the chromexcel?  I've only worn my chromexcel Indy boot about six days.  The CXL leather has already stretched so that the boot feels large.  When I first put them on in the morning, the gap at the heel seems appropriate, but by the end of the day, there is sooo much space back there that I think I should have gone with the smaller size.  This would give close to no heel gap on first wearing but give me the reasonable finger-insertable gap mid-day.

I wear 8E in Plaza and Hampton shoes and 7.5E in Barrie shoes, but I went with 8E for both my shell cordovan Indy and the chromexcel Indy to account for the thicker boot socks.  The shell cordovan sized perfectly after a few weeks with thicker socks but I think I should have gone with 7.5E with the chromexcel Indy.

I think you sized wrong..only reason I say that is that on plaza and hampton for my foot i need a full size up from barrie. Now that is very limited scope as to what i have tried on.

i have gone up 1/2 size for a barrie boot NST and trubalance indy for boot socks and found for whatever reason the barie feels much longer the the indie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads