• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Don! You kill it every day and never repeat combos. Makes it hard to feel like I can contribute to this fine thread or the Ep thread. I've been laying low and playing it safe by simply buying Engineered Garments and plagiarizing everyone's ideas on the EG thread or wearing japanese raw denim on the weekends with Merz B Schwanen henleys and Real Mccoys repro outerwear for the low maintenance capsule wardrobe.

Quick unrelated random thought: I'm in the middle of a Marie Kondo-inspired cleanout of my wardrobe. How many 8.5D/8E Barrie peeps are on here? Thinking of liberating some never-worn pairs GRATIS as long as I trust that they will end better loved and used in a nice home. For starters, there's an 8E Leffot tobacco chammy Greenwich boot chillin in the basement that has not gotten minutes in any game in the last almost two years. There may be some random AEs too.

That's much size so I'm interested in hearing what you're thinking of unloading.

Last edited:

ltjaw

Reaction score
I regularly wear Indy's with speed hooks and without. I prefer no speedhooks, but not by a huge margin. I really don't care much about the speed or ease of lacing, as both types are pretty quick and easy. With the all eyelet Indy's, I pull my laces out of the top two eyelets to loosen them for taking off or putting on. Relacing these four eyelets takes about as much or less time than lacing speed hooks. Having all eyelets is nice because they don't catch on your trousers. They also don't come undone like speed hooks sometimes do if not tied tight enough. If you like to lace your boots more loosely, you may prefer the all-eyelet boots.

bustert

Reaction score

I regularly wear Indy's with speed hooks and without. I prefer no speedhooks, but not by a huge margin. I really don't care much about the speed or ease of lacing, as both types are pretty quick and easy. With the all eyelet Indy's, I pull my laces out of the top two eyelets to loosen them for taking off or putting on. Relacing these four eyelets takes about as much or less time than lacing speed hooks. Having all eyelets is nice because they don't catch on your trousers. They also don't come undone like speed hooks sometimes do if not tied tight enough. If you like to lace your boots more loosely, you may prefer the all-eyelet boots.

Thanks much!!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm *far* faster with speed hooks. Given an option, I'll always choose them. If my grail Ravelli NST's became available with all-eyelets, I'd certainly still grab them, but I'd probably eventually convert them...

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys take your shoes off and on multiple times a day? Just curious really.

For me all eyelets take a second or two longer but nothing that would throw off my morning routine or anything.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Don! You kill it every day and never repeat combos. Makes it hard to feel like I can contribute to this fine thread or the Ep thread. I've been laying low and playing it safe by simply buying Engineered Garments and plagiarizing everyone's ideas on the EG thread or wearing japanese raw denim on the weekends with Merz B Schwanen henleys and Real Mccoys repro outerwear for the low maintenance capsule wardrobe.

Quick unrelated random thought: I'm in the middle of a Marie Kondo-inspired cleanout of my wardrobe. How many 8.5D/8E Barrie peeps are on here? Thinking of liberating some never-worn pairs GRATIS as long as I trust that they will end better loved and used in a nice home. For starters, there's an 8E Leffot tobacco chammy Greenwich boot chillin in the basement that has not gotten minutes in any game in the last almost two years. There may be some random AEs too.
<raises hand>

JJGNYC

Reaction score
Quote: <raises hand>

Me too -- 8.5D Barrie please! ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads