• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Affordable Swag Thread

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I win

I'm in a good mood, so I'll help you (and then probably just repost this the next time someone comes knockin'). In the future, use the search function and the stickied threads. Do this instead of replying to any of these posts.

i'm going to assume that the real goal here is to look good for the ladies, so...

College wear for fun and profit:

Your **** is going to get messy. Beer is going to get spilled all over everything you own. More than likely, you will sleep in the mud/bushes while wearing most of this stuff. Girls will rub themselves on your pants, which is great, but unhygienic.

First, get rid of your graphic tees. If you want to wear t shirts, and who doesn't, just get some blanks from hanes/american apparel that fit well in the shoulders.

Next, buy a pair of jeans. Everyone here will tell you to buy raws, and they are right. Don't ask what kind. You're getting away with this much, so you can do some forum research next. I will tell you that if you wait, jeans are cheap. Buy jeans that fit you.

Buy a pair of boots that are not desert boots. desert boots are boring and girls don't give a **** that they're based on imperialist ******-wear. Buy something with a slight heel. Do some research/read up on what you like.

Do not wear adidas all-stars with gelly stripes. Do not wear cargo shorts. Do not wear cargo shorts with your adidas all-stars. Chucks are whatever, but be warned that they will not get you any female attention. do not ******* EVER wear your running shoes unless you're working out, I don't care what you think you know.

Buy slim button downs on the cheap. take j crew button downs to the tailor, whatever. not everything has to be skin tight, but if you want to look like you take care of yourself, a good start is to buy clothes that fit you.

don't save up and buy **** that you'll regret buying. take advantage of fast fashion. Look at WAYWT. Most people are not spending a lot of money on anything. Emulate them.

finally, clothes are not going to make you look better/more classy/ more cultured. If you are a slob, cookie-cutter clothing is not going to fix anything. If you are interested in looking like a mature human, or even an immature but stylish one, don't go throwing your money around. Especially not during college. spend that **** on drugs and alcohol and parties. and some boots.

mostly, go do some ******* research

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the boots from Barney's Co-op. They generally have a pretty good shape (some of them are decent Paul Smith knockoffs, if you don't want to shell out $600+ for PS boots), and the construction is good for the price (I think most are made in Italy, if that matters to you). You can also frequently find your size once sales hit at Barney's, so that usually means sub-$300 for boots. I have two pairs, both are lace-up captoes, one in brown and one in black, and they've held up really well for several years. In fact, the Co-op clothing line seems fairly nice as well for the price. If you need basics, especially for work, it's a good spot to check, particularly during sale season since nobody seems to want to buy it.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I got a co-op sportcoat for $35 from Filene's Basement. Fit's a little weird (big sleeves) but the quality is fantastic and it got me my current job
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also, for beater shoes I wear my Docs all the time and they're like $80 on sale...

limbo

Reaction score

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I had a friend who was fairly small and would shop in the boys section of Brooks Brothers. He had a great tiny wardrobe.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I even bother trying to buy an "affordable" leather jacket, or is that one of those things I should save for and get the best?

Frislid

Reaction score
Should I even bother trying to buy an "affordable" leather jacket, or is that one of those things I should save for and get the best?

Get the best. There's no reason to save any expense when buying leather goods in general. High-end leather jackets and footwear is just such a pleasure to handle, and buying anything lesser would be such a shame.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't try to make huge jump from the start. Get the cheap otr pleather jacket or just as chep (under 100) ones to figure out what kind of style you want. And then there are good stuffs from ToJ and Aero and Malik the Pakistani leather guy

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Not sure how helpful this is, but I thought I'd give an example of budget v. non-budget fits. I encourage others to do the same.

I bought some of this stuff a while ago, but adding it up in my head, I think it totals about $110 for everything but socks and underwear (so maybe $120 all-inclusive :laugh: ).

X58vj.jpg

J. Crew shirt: thrifted for $5, tailored for probably $15 = $20
AA tri-blend cardigan: retail is over $40, but I think I paid closer to $25
Levi's 501 STF, sized down 1: either ebay or Shepler's, I'm not sure which, but around $35
leather Chucks: bought off ebay for around $30

This second one is a bit more in line with today's SF standards:

eOkQ4.jpg

I'm not gonna list prices for this one, but I paid less than retail for everything but the jeans.

BoO shirt
SNS Stark cardigan
SExDBxSxS12 jeans
MMM boots

I wear - and enjoy wearing - the items in both fits. I'd say I value the items in the second fit more. They're of noticeably higher quality, more interesting, less readily available, more universally accepted on the forum, and certainly more expensive. On the other hand, there's also a nice feeling about having some cheap items that fit well and look good, punching above their weight class, so to speak, in terms of the value I get from them relative to the price I paid.

So...thoughts? Is the second fit definitively "better" than the first?

AJPA

Reaction score

I wear - and enjoy wearing - the items in both fits. I'd say I value the items in the second fit more. They're of noticeably higher quality, more interesting, less readily available, more universally accepted on the forum, and certainly more expensive. On the other hand, there's also a nice feeling about having some cheap items that fit well and look good, punching above their weight class, so to speak, in terms of the value I get from them relative to the price I paid.

:slayer:

I think there are some factors that make the second fit a bit better than the first (shoes being a big contributor to this), There was some kid that posted the other day in WAYWT that looked like hot garbage and was wearing all mall brands, but this looks great for the relative cost of the items.

I really don't like the color of those chucks though =P looks too much like skin for me

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely. In the first picture you look like a decently dressed dude, in the second one you damn near look like a model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads