• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The NBA scandal

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this has not come up here, but whoa, get a load of the NBA point shaving ref scandal. This is amazing, I remember watching many games over the years and saying: "What the hell? No way that was a foul/travel whatever. This game has to be fixed." Little did I know... wow, I mean just wow.

Edit: I see now this was touched on in the NBA Playoffs thread, but I think it deserves its own bandwidth. The implications of this for The League are startling.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I thought he only reffed one game that he bet on. Still, this doesn't throw me into a world of insecurity as much as it makes me think it's a man making a bad decision. This is going to be very problematic for david stern and the nba though. Every time there is a playoff game with a bad call or two, people are going to start clammoring and david stern won't be able to shake it off. Soccer has survived it on plenty of occasions (and were more seriously invovled) and i think the nba will too. However, the nba has had a problem with their referees being relatively top heavy, with a few refs having lots of respect and getting most the big time playoff games. There have been quiet coach complaint about some of the refs on the bottom of the totem pole and david stern is going to have to address reffing quality and credibility as a whole, which in a way is a good thing. Still, crazy stuff.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either espn or fox had a good article on this and it is truly damaging. This is the first time in the 4 major sports that any official has been involved. Never have any umps, football refs or hockey refs done this. The article also said Stern must crack down hard or people will lose all trust. I agree. The FBI investigated this ref and then caught him. Hope he gets jail time.

jonnydrama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Does anybody know what his conection to the mob is? I keep hearing that it has something to do with them.

i think the bookie he was using was connected with the mob

habeas_dorkus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonnydrama
i think the bookie he was using was connected with the mob

The story I read said he was approached by several "low-level mob members" who used his heavy gambling debt to leverage him into making certain calls.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Perhaps this will finally end Stearn's reign of terror.
edit: nevermind, i don't care enough to respond to the response I love stern as a commish and am very curious how he will handle this situation. It seems they're gonna squeeze donaguey to get more info and try to expose any other things like this. I don't think it's a widespread problem but hope they can get to the bottom of all this.

habeas_dorkus

Reaction score
Another story discussed Stern's experience with gambling as a lawyer for the NBA early in his career. Very interesting. Looks like he's coming full circle. Also interesting was the way the league handled Michael Jordan's gambling...

I'm not sure how much of it (if any) is his fault, but the NBA's ratings have been steadily dropping.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This just proves what everyone has been thinking for years. I'm sure it happens all the time in many sports and not just for money, often favoritism plays it's part as well.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great. Now I am going to see more of Stephen A Smith on ESPN. Fantastic. Kill me now. At least I don't live in Philly and see him in my sports page.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habeas_dorkus
The story I read said he was approached by several "low-level mob members" who used his heavy gambling debt to leverage him into making certain calls.
Yeah, their saying that this is may be tied the Gambino crime family, and that he's seeking police protection, due to threats.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Bill Simmons has a good column on espn.com today, discussing the fact that Donaghy worked the pivotal game 3 of this year's Suns-Spurs game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics