• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mojito

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some information about a classic Cuban cocktail, the mojito.

From my blog, while I was still posting regularly on it:

Battle Royale, 3 Bacardis - Sunday, January 14, 2007 - by Kas

A properly made Mojito is benediction for your tongue.

Ordering a Mojito is much like ordering a certain dish of your preference, let's assume a steak for my more visually-oriented reader - if any. If you order a steak, you pretty much know what to expect: a slice of cow. However, whether that cow was nurtured like a child or grew up as Cinderella has a direct impact on the price, as does the sauce, vegetables, other things they decided to put on your plate and the ambience of course. Luckily, the latter doesn't have much impact on the steak's flavour - the others do. The same is true for the Mojito: is top-shelf rum used? Is the mint properly muddled? Etcetera, and so on.

According to Bacardi, a proper Mojito is made like this:

1.5 oz BACARDI Rum
12 fresh spearmint leaves
1/2 lime
7 oz club soda
2 tbsp. simple syrup
(or 4 tsp. sugar)

For the smoothest majitos, gently crush mint leaves and lightly squeeze lime in a cool tall glass. Pour sweet syrup on top to cover and fill glass with ice. Add Bacardi Rum, club soda, and stir your emerging mojito well. Garnish with a lime wedge, a few sprigs of mint, toast, sip, and enjoy Bacardi mojitos with your friends.

The number of different flashy websites the company has dedicated to this one drink makes one wonder. I, for one, wonder why the hell there can't be just 1 website where I can find the information I want to know about Bacardi instead of ploughing through thousandths of megabytes of flash-movies featuring women throwing ice and mint around as if they're standing in the glass.

Nonetheless, three words come to mind when I read - and reread - that recipe: Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot. How in the name of all that is holy can that recipe state a rum-soda ratio like that? That's like throwing the rum in a swimming pool! I don't know about their glasses, but mine can barely hold the suggested club soda, not to mention all other ingredients. I don't think the wannabe-Cubans have intended to smother the rum like that, but it makes the recipe suspicious at best.

What is a Mojito? This was answered by someone in an IRC chat room a year ago: a drink in which mint, lime, sugar and (soda) water is used to mask the strong rum flavour. Nowadays, I feel obliged to alter that statement slightly - those ingredients are not used to mask the rum but to make an entirely new, balanced, drink: to enhance rather than conceal.

My own recipe:

Put 1 tsp. of sugarcane in a Collins (approx. 7 oz) glass, add 8 mint leaves and the juice of ½ lime plus the limes themselves and ½ oz of simple syrup. Muddle gently until you can clearly smell the mint. Fill the glass with ice-cubes and then crushed ice. Pour 1 ½ oz of rum into the glass, carefully stir, add some more crushed ice and finally soda water to top. Garnish with a lime wedge and 2 mint leaves and a straw.

As you can see, there are basically 3 steps when making this drink:
-Non-alcoholic ingredients muddled.
-Rum poured into the glass.
-Top and garnish.

It is absolutely imperative that you gently muddle the first ingredients; doing so thoroughly could break the mint leaves - the straw will not filter the tiny parts, so you'll be eating them later. The sugarcane functions as a grinder too and most force is applied to the limes: no mint leaves have to be harmed while making this drink! Moreover, the limes on the bottom of the glass make it look much better.

I add ice-cubes and crushed ice as opposed to merely crushed ice because this drink is best drunk over a longer period of time. Crushed ice will melt easier, diluting the drink too fast. You do want to have the glass filled with ice and cold fast though, so you're going to have to pick up that hammer if you don't have a machine to do your dirty work. Your little icy tower will have collapsed once you have poured the rum in, so you'll want to add some extra ice and soda water to fill the glass. And, of course, never forget that garnish! A thing to note is the placement of the straw; it is ideally placed in the hull of a lime. Toy around a bit by changing your straw's position, I promise you will notice a difference!

Tonight, I made 3 Mojitos - each with a different Bacardi flavour; Superior (white), Reserva (brown) and Black. I had originally set my mind on the one with Black, the one I like most on the rocks. However, the Superior really proved to be king: the mix of flavours is best when the rum is less dominant. Perhaps because I really like the taste of lime? Who knows, but I found the other two to be severely lacking in balance.

More information:

http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Mojito
This is basically the wiki for winos and other liquor enthusiasts - such as me. Posted is a link to the mojito entry.

http://groups.msn.com/DrinkBoy/messageboard.msnw
The drinkboy message board is the home turf where cocktail enthusiasts discuss their hobby. It's pretty hardcore, so it could be a little intimidating for newbies.

http://ipi.fi/~hessu/mojito/mojito-crushed.html
A link I found on aforemention drinkboy message board to a personal website. Posted is a link to his mojito entry and contains some good information on the drink.

That's about it for now. If you have any questions regarding cocktails, feel free to ask me. I've got loads of links to blogs, discussion boards and informational sites - so if you want to read up on some really good drinks, just ask!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice, I will have to pick up some rum and make these. Hopefully my mint plants will get to growing... I could easily denude them entirely in one night with juleps, not to mention mojitos as well.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, mint runs on rhizomes, so in a year or two you can be almost overrun with the stuff.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I love the Mojito. I make mine with just the tiniest dash of soda, though, mostly rum and sugar and mint. It's my second favorite drink after the caipirinha.(Not the caipirinha's bastard cousin the caipivodka or caipiroska. It has to be made with Cachaça.) There's kind of a pattern in the drinks I like!
teacha.gif

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you only have to use 1/2 to 1 oz. of soda with my recipe. Mostly to top the drink.

To illustrate how cold you want this drink to be: some water on the outside of the glass (wet glass) was frozen when I made one at new year's eve.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the rum to soda ratio makes sense if you are sitting on a sweltering island in the Caribbean. The mojto is meant as a refreshing drink, not a headbanger. i make them at that ratio and drink a half a bottle of rum in the process. It is a pleasant buzz.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have mint in our garden (as Huntsman indicated, it grows like crazy), and so I love making mojitos in the summer -- just had one last weekend. I recently infused some rum with mint by putting a bunch of leaves in a jar of the liquor and putting it out in the sun for a couple of hours, which worked really well for making mojitos.

I also really like the caipirinha that Augusto mentioned, but alas, I cannot seem to find cachaça around here.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since first being introduced to the mojito while in my trip to Puerto Rico a few years ago, I've been hooked. I have ordered one at nearly every major restaurant and lounge I've been to so that I can see the differences in how they are contructed and the various tastes. The best one I've had was still in Old San Juan but here in the states Roomba in NH made a great one. I have a place that I am dying to try in NYC that supposedly has one of the best.

The caipirinha isn't bad too but the ones I've had were a bit too strong and sweet for my likes, but I've only had around 5 of them from various places.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I love the Mojito. I make mine with just the tiniest dash of soda, though, mostly rum and sugar and mint.

It's my second favorite drink after the caipirinha.(Not the caipirinha's bastard cousin the caipivodka or caipiroska. It has to be made with Cachaça.)

There's kind of a pattern in the drinks I like!
teacha.gif

Where could I find Cachaça in the US, especially in a backwater like Oklahoma? I too like caipirinhas.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
You can order it online, even in backwater Oklahoma. That way you don't even have to waste any gas.

Unless your state is one of the ones like mine, where having alcohol shipped in is illegal.
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Well, the rum to soda ratio makes sense if you are sitting on a sweltering island in the Caribbean. The mojto is meant as a refreshing drink, not a headbanger. i make them at that ratio and drink a half a bottle of rum in the process. It is a pleasant buzz.
Exactly! Mojitos taste better in the Carribean and best in Havana.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Exactly!

Mojitos taste better in the Carribean and best in Havana.

They taste pretty good in Miami.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best Mojito I've had was in Costa Rica. The second best was in Lithuania.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads